Houzz Logo Print
rick_lloyd4194781

Help me redesign my garden

Rick Lloyd
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Have front bordered garden in full sun but suffering from a lot of gaps. Need to redesign entire bed. Ideas welcomed. Has sprinkler system installed at rear of garden bed

Comments (23)

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Hi Rick,
    Maybe some height would be good, are you able to post a wider photo to show a bit more of the area.
    Rick Lloyd thanked julie herbert
  • Rick Lloyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Related Discussions

Need help redesigning the front yard

Q

Comments (1)
    Take out landlord insurance if you have none. Not everyone likes ornamental grasses, at least get some that don't look brown in drier weather.
    ...See More

Need Help with my roof pitch redesign

Q

Comments (2)
    A Craig - your roof is what is known as a Mansard style. Search 'Mansard Style roofs' on Houzz for a lot of examples that may give you some answers (see one below). Obviously this home was built pre aluminium guttering that does not rust so to replace the existing guttering with seamless aluminium should solve your problems. It would be worthwhile replacing the downpipes with aluminium too. A bigger problem you could probably have is matching the existing tiles, but from photos on Houzz it does appear you would be able to get away with a different tile or even use a slate were you to change the flat area to a slightly pitched roof. Your existing tiles can be resprayed a different colour too. Call in the experts, the more people you speak to the more ideas you will get. Afraid whatever you do will be expensive, but consider it money well spent to alleviate any future water problems - water does so much damage that will negate all other renovation work you do in the house. [houzz=]
    ...See More

Help me landscape my front yard

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't mind maintenance as long as I'm not pruning all the time. Budget wise probably no more than $1000 though I have no idea how much plants cost. I know hedging plants need to be spaced fairly closely. That's a good point about the formal hedge georgi02. I do love formal hedges though.
    ...See More

Ugly imposing house and a post apocalyptic waste land ‘garden’ help me

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you all so much for your time! Great ideas - I am in Melbourne Julie Herbert, so your photos are perfect. Yes Lyn Huppatz - I’ll start going to the nursery soonish to get some solid inspiration! JE C - I am thinking I would like an out door seating area, but as for anything else - I’m really not sure yet!! I guess I’ll just keep on looking at photos and piecing it together!
    ...See More
  • Rick Lloyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oops sorry 2 of the same

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    A few planting ideas that withstand full sun and full on weather conditions, you could add any of these or re do garden bed, like the idea of staining timber edging also
  • Rick Lloyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hope these help

• User
    6 years ago
    Hi Rick,
    I think mass planting your garden bed with maybe one or two species as per the earlier photos of the agave would certainly lift the look and give a real stylish edge to the garden,I love conifers and palms but I think they are holding back the look and not complimenting the house, are you able to locate them elsewhere in your garden, by uniforming the planting to a couple of species as photo it could look really great.
    Rick Lloyd thanked User
  • PRO
    Texture Landscapes: a division of Texture Group
    6 years ago

Hi Rick,

I agree simplifying the garden is going to give you the best impact. Start with one or two varieties of feature plants, and then step down to another layer underneath and finally a ground cover.

I would stain the timber black, keep the two palms and then add a larger feature in the centre, Trachycarpus fortunii or Butia capitata would possible options to stick with the lush theme.

I would then infill the remainder of the garden with fillers, one option would be Aloe polyphyllas mass planted with black mondo grass underneath.

I would then finish this off with a natural coloured mulch or compost which is going to tie in a lot better with your house.

Thanks,

Will

Rick Lloyd thanked Texture Landscapes: a division of Texture Group
  • Dawn Park
    6 years ago
    Take away the logs agaves are great also yuccas
    Rick Lloyd thanked Dawn Park
  • hhbrodie
    6 years ago

I would start over completely. First decide what type of garden you want - tropical, native planting, country garden, formal vs. informal.

Once you have a theme, I agree with staining the wood dark. Do a design where the plants you choose compliment each other, one that offers a bit of height, and one that has year round benefits. Since it is small, I would stay away from broad plants that will crowd and dominate the space; however, you need to fill it more evenly. I am a big fan of perennials with a few annuals for variety and color.

Also get rid of the red chip (whatever it is) and go with shredded bark - it is better for the plants. Do NOT ever use weed matting - it retards the soil and is not good for your plants. The mulch will help keep the weeds at bay.

Enjoy!

Rick Lloyd thanked hhbrodie
  • beshill
    6 years ago

First question-where do you live? Climate and soil needs to be major consideration.

My first thought is it is barren, in that it lacks lush,green,full,abundance and generosity. Do you need privacy from the road?

Are there sight lines where others see into your property or windows ? Would you like to block that? Do you sit out here or is an area you just pass through to get to the house?

The house has hard lines so to me lush,green and softer plantings would add beauty to your property.However some of that will depend on your climate and conditions.

Rick Lloyd thanked beshill
  • peggimcintyre
    6 years ago

Lose the grass!!! It doesn't look in great shape anyway. I would use the entire space as a garden and include a natural water feature, stone paths, etc. Are you required to keep some kind of footpath beside the road? Succulents are great but grass trees also look magnificent. The large greeny-grey ones, referred to as glauca, are fast growing and spectacular. And the native bees love their flowers. Speaking of which, include a native beehive!!

Rick Lloyd thanked peggimcintyre
    6 years ago
    I agree with others about darkening the sleepers and making the raised garden larger. Your current plants do not complement each other so agree they will need to go. You may consider potting up your conifers and palms to use elsewhere or else give to friends.
    I would put in a beautiful specimen tree as the feature and under plant en masse with one species. Hard to really give ideas without seeing the facade of your home and orientation. A good nurseryman will be able to assist.
    Rick Lloyd thanked 94236633
  • hannahhouse1
    6 years ago

I agree with the person above. You need to break the glare of the sun with a tree, it feels oppressive looking at the pic. A beautiful tree like a jacaranda or really whatever tree you love, with a mass of one thing underneath, like maybe the star jasmine creeper. Something with tiny flowers would look amazing with your house colour. Even the new succulent creepers people are planting on mass grow like crazy in full sun and look interesting. There are also some new native creepers or grasses that would spread across the bed v quickly. That way you don't need mulch, just soil improve/ wetting agent first. I don't mind the edging though, looks nice and rustic, it just needs plants spilling over the edge to soften it.

Rick Lloyd thanked hannahhouse1
  • peggimcintyre
    6 years ago

I would definitely not recommend a jacaranda!!! When they lose their flowers, after the initial purple carpet produced on the ground (or in your roof gutters!!!!), the flowers turn brown and slimy and can be treacherous. Both flowers and leaves clog the gutters!! The roots are also very destructive!!!

Rick Lloyd thanked peggimcintyre
  • Gemma
    6 years ago
    It's perfect! Water it every day and it will grow crazy in three months and there will be no gaps
    Rick Lloyd thanked Gemma
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Hi Rick,
    You could always add a gorgeous water feature and surround it with pebbles add a pair of Catalpa ornamental Maples (very hardy) and it could look beautiful
  • Brenda 1811
    6 years ago
    Could be a good spot for home grown veggies!
    Rick Lloyd thanked Brenda 1811
  • glendaguest
    6 years ago

Hi Rick - Will you tell the readers here where you are - an area, at least because gardening advice needs to suit the area. There's lots of advice above, some excellent some a bit speculative. The best ones say to have a central focus - definitely yes. A feature small tree (no, not jacaranda - too big, too messy for small suburban spaces - and then layer plants out with the small spilly ones at the outside edge. In your smallish space, a SMALL tree, a ring of something up to 750mm - 1000 mm tall, then an outside ring of short spilly things.

No matter where you are do explore the salvia family as there's one for every situation, short ones, tall ones, ones that need full sun, ones that like lots of shade and many in between. And yes, those logs are dated - if you want an edging there are lots available the keep a clean edge and not dominate.

Rick Lloyd thanked glendaguest
  • Matt Stuart
    6 years ago

Understand different styles and themes, and pick just one. Formal with straight lines, or naturalistic with relaxed patterns? Cottage/tropical/desert/etc?

The house seems hidden behind a central garden bed, especially with a small frontage, and if you are going to be replanting.

Dump the sleepers, woodchip, and the garden bed completely.

Have three small trees in the middle growing in grass (grove), so you have a view of the house through the trunks (e.g. birch/tallows/orimental pears).

Make some garden beds on the outsides of the frontage, which are a bit thicker at low and mid-level.

Don't skimp on retic, good soil and thick mulch.

Think of the long-term outcome, not just quick and easy ideas (which is the current design). Then enjoy nurturing and watching it grow.

Rick Lloyd thanked Matt Stuart
    6 years ago
    Rick’s not talkin’.
    Rick Lloyd thanked 94236633
  • Josie Owen
    6 years ago

Hi Rick,

I am presuming you are in Queensland because of the pebble crete driveway. If so i would suggest you get rid of the whole dated bed and go back to lawn. Save what you can from the bed, the palms and conifers would look great in pots. They could also be put in long planter box under the front window symmetrically with an agave in the middle.

Your house has straight geometric lines so would suit formal style garden with Murraya hedging, grow to mid thigh height across the front from letterbox , leaving open for entry path, and both sides could be higher.

For height I would plant advanced Bangalow palms or candle stick Cyprus pines either side of your entry, and put a stepping stone pathway in the lawn, from your front boundary near letterbox to the front door to save visitors from squeezing past cars. The other path which comes off the driveway would be just for your own use. I would under plant these with 3 Cycads or Zanadu for each, fill in and edge with Rhoeo making a small bed.

This will make your entry stand out.

Improve soil with compost or cow manure be for planting and mulch well with dark cottage mulch.

On the right hand side between the end of the window and the new hedge I would plant a shady evergreen specimen tree in the front corner of thelawn. The trees over the road in the pictures look good. Tuckeroo tree? Under plant to soften with star jasmine ground cover. Clip to keep neat.

your lawn needs feeding then it will lush up and be more protected from the heat. Keep blade high, don't scalp!

Simple and clean lines look modern and stylish. Good luck!

Josie

• Rick Lloyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all for comments, I like the idea of staining the bed, but I have found in the Caboolture area that ants like to dig up around the tree bark and build nests hence why I went to red bark. I will remove the conifers and the spiky plant in the middle and go for there. Sorry haven't replied earlier everything seems to have cost so have to work lol. But thanks again to everyone. Out comes the shovel.