Houzz Logo Print
ontheball

Before and after of a walk-in shower

On The Ball Bathrooms
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We recently completed a bathroom renovation in Canning Vale, WA that took a traditional corner style shower screen in an Ensuite and turned the space into a walk in shower. I would to know how everyone feels about the walk in shower opposed to the traditional 900mm x 900mm pivot door showers.

If you like our bathrooms please feel free to follow us and our future work :)

Comments (29)

• Jodie
    6 years ago
    I am hoping to have walk in showers in our new house. I know we have a bit more length so should work. Love your tiles
  • dreamer
    6 years ago
    Looks really good. Safety aspect has improved. But, I think walk in showers should be at least 1200 x 900. The water spray onto bathroom area can than be avoided. It will be interesting as to how your clients feel on a practical level.
  • Related Discussions

U Shaped Walk in Robe His & Hers - Before and After

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi North Residential Constructions , thank you for your comments. We too don't think you can have too many shoes either! and know how important shoe storage is, If you scroll through and take a look at the last photo you will see the shoes are hidden behind the mirror hinged door
    ...See More

Before and After - Shower Bath

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not a fan of shower over bath either but agree sometimes for some people it's the best solution. The makeover is beautiful. Two things, just in my opinion. I always wish for a grab rail when using a shower over a bath, as I sometimes do in hotels. I felt that way even when younger and more agile. Surely there could be a way of installing something to hold onto when stepping in and out without it looking like a nursing home? I suppose in a bathroom such as that shown I would hold onto the towel rail. I've always wondered about vessel basins that slope inwards, is it a problem for cleaning behind them?
    ...See More

Before and After - Walk In Or Square Shower

Q

Comments (1)
    Does the area near the sink floor wet and slippery ?
    ...See More

Before & After: A 1970s ensuite

Q

Comments (7)
    It is a great improvement . However I always laugh at all the before and after photo's on a lot of renovations on Houzz -- take the before photos on a dark day with the lights off ; do a reno ; take the after photos on a sunny day with every light ( and flash on the camera ) , and say how bright and breezy it looks ! It's like every weight loss 'con' -- the before photo in frumpy clothes with no smile and minimal lighting -- the after in a bright outfit , huge smile , feet 2 foot off the ground grabbing up for a beach ball , with lots of lighting !
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    6 years ago
    I prefer the open luxurious feel of a walk in shower... less glass to clean & that’s a very good thing. This is a beautiful transformation:) love the tile style & colour selection too.
  • Susan Ballard
    6 years ago
    Absolutely does the rest of bathroom stay dry
    On The Ball Bathrooms thanked Susan Ballard
  • Chris
    6 years ago
    We have had a walk in shower for around 10 years now and love it. You don’t have the cleaning issues as with the traditional hob and the lines are clean and modern. This also ensures that as we age there are no ‘trip’ lines.
    On The Ball Bathrooms thanked Chris
  • claudiaamonini
    6 years ago
    Looks amazing! Well done
    On The Ball Bathrooms thanked claudiaamonini
  • me me
    6 years ago
    Looks amazing. I love the walk in shower as well.
  • PRO
    On The Ball Bathrooms
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedbak guys any way we could improve it?

• Theresa B
    6 years ago
    Wow great job guys, I love the combination of the tile and wood grain and the walk in shower gives a lovely openness to the room
    On The Ball Bathrooms thanked Theresa B
  • dreamer
    6 years ago
    Hi, just a thought. I would of taken out full height window, and installed a window, positioned approx 1550mm from floor. Then tiled the wall under the new window and extended shower screen. But, the bathroom does look good. Great colour combinations.
    On The Ball Bathrooms thanked dreamer
  • watchedpoppy
    6 years ago

Lovely transformation. What size is the new walk-in-shower? What length is the glass screen? Do you find it an adequate length to avoid water splashing out past the glass screen?

• PRO
    On The Ball Bathrooms
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Watchedpoppy its 900mm you can do larger the client requested the smaller opening. There is quite a lot of fall on the floor that you cant really see but 1200mm would of worked just as well :)

• Sharon Murray
    6 years ago

I think it looks great, Good to see that it can be done in a smaller area. Walk in showers are #1 on our list for our "rest of life" house to ensure accessibility and easy cleaning in our older years.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked Sharon Murray
  • macyjean
    6 years ago

It looks really nice. Ease of cleaning appeals to me. Like others, I wondered about splashing in a shower that size.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked macyjean
  • User
    6 years ago

It looks great. And walk ins are definitely easier to clean.

We did a very similar thing. To reduce water spray, we were advised to relocate the shower head so the direction of flow isn’t towards the opening. I’m glad we did. Ours is deeper at 900x1200, but there’s still some splash - it’s unavoidable.

A tip: The mistake they made with ours was not putting enough angle on the floor (or the niche). Water just sits there, instead of finding its way to the drain.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked User
  • Kate
    6 years ago

Dm Stan I am haven’t the argument with my husband at the moment. I don’t want rose opposite the entry to shower, he does

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked Kate
  • User
    6 years ago

Hehe. Do hubby a deal, Kate. The rose can go where he wants ... provided he cleans the bathroom from here on in!

Some water does still splash beyond the 1200 of glass, but I can see it would’ve been worse if the rose was opposite the opening (especially if the fitting has any angle, as opposed to one where the water comes straight down from overhead).

• berbieharmsen
    6 years ago

I'm all for wet rooms as such but although this one is beautiful I am sure that there will be a lot of water on the floor, so take care when exiting after the shower. The rain shower overhead is quite a long way out from the wall. Hopefully your floor drainage is good. You might need an attractive place to store a mop, but you can certainly enjoy the aesthetics of the rest of the room.

• bellacatandme
    6 years ago

My walk in was well over a metre deep and width was a couple of metres to the wall. The glass screen was a metre and a bit so there was no splashing into the room. The shower came off the end wall same as the pic however it was one of those variable height showers on a rod, I have no doubt the shower in the pic will be splashing into the room which would drive me nuts.

Mine looked great, so open, neat, big, except the floor hadn't been layed properly so instead of the water going toward the drain under the shower head it went all over the bathroom, nearly 3 metres out right down to the loo creating a massive puddle in front of the vanity as well. Getting it sorted with the builder was nightmare I eventually gave up and ended up having a low barrier installed from glass to wall. It still looked fine and stopped the problem but one really has to ensure the floor angle is done properly before embarking on the walk-in shower exercise.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked bellacatandme
  • macyjean
    6 years ago

Why so many problems with which way the water flows? Every time I think about renovating our 20 year old bathroom and fixing what the builder didn't do properly I start to think about what might be done even worse.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked macyjean
  • User
    6 years ago

@macy. That’s why Houzz is so great. You get to learn from everyone’s mistakes and wisdom. I wish we had’ve discovered all the valuable lessons and advice BEFORE we started our renos. We would have been in a better position to spot the amateurs pretending to be a professionals a lot earlier in the process.

We had a lot of input into the design of the cabinetry, right down to the mm, thanks to some brilliant, can do cabinetmakers - called Benchmark.

There’s only a small list of mistakes we’ll avoid when we upgrade our ensuite:

1. We won’t source from Beaumont Tiles.

2. We will make sure there’s sufficient angle on the floor so water drains away, not just sits there. Ditto on the niche.

3. We won’t be talked into a supposedly trendy grate that’s positioned right where you stand under the shower. It’s mega uncomfy underfoot, and looks stupid.

4. We won’t source from Beaumont Tiles.

• bellacatandme
    6 years ago

DM Stan: #5 and we won't source from Beaumont Tiles! #6 and we won't....

You have to tell us why now DM.

• bellacatandme
    6 years ago

macymacmaples: It's super important to get the position of the shower right. In my current home my tiny space with shower placement is on the narrow wall. I thought it would be better on the end wall so it would create more room. Problem is the way the water would flow, parallel with the open fixed glass, so it would flow out of the recess.

A friend with their newly designed guest bathroom wanted the shower facing the glass shower door and went ahead against advice. Water pours out the door making a mess on the floor. Details are important.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@della. Details are very important. About everything. We were tricked about the fall of the tiles by a dodgy builder.

And Beaumont supplied tiles from 2 diff batches, but delivered them in heavy rain, so all the batch numbers on the boxes disappeared, and they said that was ok, despite the delivery guy being offered a better spot to leave the stock, under cover. Then, when all the tiles were put on the wall everything was fine, ... until they were grouted. They were different colours. It was amazing. There’s no way you could tell before hand. Photos showed that. Despite a Beaumonts rep accepting full responsibility, it took management SEVEN weeks before someone was brave enough to put their signature to the repair work. In the meantime we had no laundry, no bathroom for the entire demo stage, the work stage, and the rebuild after the acknowledgement of F up.

Months and months! They didn’t give a hoot!

• Kathy
    6 years ago

Love the revamp. Superb and modern with a sense of extra space. Worried about overspray as no door but I could live with that for this look. Well done!

• PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    6 years ago

Maybe it could work a bit like a car wash? The water comes out of the shower head.... and industrial fans mounted on the wall outside the shower blow any water spray back in on you so it doesn't spray out of the shower? ;) Just need to add a shiny disco ball above and you've got your own rock concert for one lol.

• bellacatandme
    6 years ago

DM Stan: So sorry for your experience. I've had similar problems, I'm sure there are so many negative experiences just here in Houzz that a thick book of 'Don't Do This!' warnings awaits an entrepreneurial Houzz member.

It comes from the fact that most of us are trusting and believe or want to believe that the so called 'experts' wouldn't do us wrong.

I listen to my gut now, about absolutely everything. If my gut makes even a tiny squeak I now stop and re-examine my latest decision. I pause, take a breath, re-do the figures, check the legal/council requirements or the background of the 'professional' I've hired. It doesn't mean I get things right all the time but sure beats the seemingly relentless number of costly stuff-up's of times past.

On The Ball Bathrooms thanked bellacatandme
  • PRO
    PDL by Schneider Electric
    6 years ago

This bathroom turned out so nicely! The bowl sinks add a nice touch to the overall style. - Rhiannon