Houzz Logo Print
jane_taylor39

Kitchen and surrounding rooms, argh!

Jane Taylor
6 years ago
Hi!

I am trying to find a way to make the kitchen/lounge/dining/laundry area of my house work better. The kitchen is ready to collapse in a heap on the floor, so I figure people here might have some nifty suggestions!

Budget is not high, and I am not against the idea of rearranging doorways/walls if that will make a significant difference!
There is a step up from the kitchen to what is called 'living', we use that as dining currently. Bedroom 4 is walkthrough and we use it as a study.

Current issues: the fridge and pantry are on the other side of the kitchen, over the bench. Impractical!
The hallway opposite the entry that leads to the laundry is now a wall, but as I said, not averse to wall changes.
The laundry is stupidly small.
The house has very little storage.
Kitchen cabinets will go to the ceiling for storage and less grime traps!
I find corner cupboards hideous, but am open to ideas.

I am happy to add skylights to increase natural lighting. No issue closing in the kitchen window that faces the driveway.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, criticisms are welcome. I need to get value for money, and more practical use of space!

The pics are from a design we considered a while ago that we could not afford. The less detailed is the existing plan, the better one I have included for measurements. :)

Thank you SO much!

Comments (49)

• Khanh Nguyen
    6 years ago

The bigger kitchen space will be wonderful! I'd definitely also consider skylights in the kitchens. They've been trending on Houzz as of late –

Cedar and Glass · More Info

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago

just to clarify, the 2nd pic is only there for measurements, no way can i afford those changes, hence my post. :)

• Related Discussions

Kitchen layout and design

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying! So many thoughtful suggestions, thank you. I haven't yet got around to taping out the kitchen, boundsgreener, but I hope too soon. Even just pacing it out has made me realise you're all right, there's no way a G shape will work. The space at the sink surrounded by the benches would be less than one metre. So that's good to realise now! I can't do banquet seating as there's a window behind the table. The wall behind the buffet unit is structural so we can't remove it (and I'd imagine it might get expensive too!) So what I'm thinking now is more a revamp/update with the current layout, but still moving the fridge across and creating a pantry, plus an appliances garage (love that term!) in the corner. Oven, sink and dishwasher in the same spots. This will still give more room for dining as the fridge won't be taking up space on that side of the kitchen. I'm now worried about losing the bench space that the buffet unit gives us, though. It was going to be offset by the extra G shape, but as that's gone and there won't be any room for the buffet (though I'd love to keep it as an island on wheels, hazzaran!) there will be less bench space than before. I like the idea about a wooden benchtop to save money, Pazz, but is it practical? Won't it get lots of bacteria in it? I'd still love some natural stone in there somewhere, and was thinking of those beautiful hexagon marble tiles they have on the Block. That might be cheaper than a caesarstone benchtop! I am not a big fan of laminate, though, for some reason it always really looks really plasticy to me. Thanks again for all your great advice and for helping avert a layout disaster! I really appreciate all the advice.
    ...See More

Furniture placement for small, narrow living room.

Q

Comments (16)
    I love your fireplace. I would not alter it. The door and the floorboards draw your eye straight to the fireplace. I wouod definitely alter the light fittings. I would have the tv on the dining room wall to the right of the arches. I wouod have one lounge on the window wall opposite the tv and a chair in the corner if there is enough room. I would have an eyecatching wing back chair to the left of the fireplace opposite the dining room and white lacy soft curtains softening the window wall. To the left of the fireplace near the dining room arch you could add some interesting decorating piece. I would concentrate on making the fireplace wall the focal point of the room and the tv corner a secondary focal point that is soft and relaxing. You could trow down a couple of beautiful, thick, soft floor mats to soften the brick and provide a texture contrast. Overall, I love the room, it has character and strength, its not boring and mundane. Good luck! I hope you find something that suits both you and hubby
    ...See More

Laundry in the rumpus room

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, get rid of your top loader and existing tub, get a front loader, run the benchtops all the way along wall to wall, add some cabinetry under the bench, if you like place your dryer on the wall or put the washing machine under the dryer in a tower left of window then run the tops all the way across with sink and cabinets. Hope this makes sence ? Stephen
    ...See More

Kitchen cupboard ideas needed

Q

Comments (61)
    Hi again. Finally took the plunge and had the kitchen resprayed. So much lighter and a great job by the professionals. Hard to remember the mustard kitchen now, except the photos remind me.
    ...See More
  • Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, siriuskey!

Wow, loving the openness a lot! Plus the extra living space- not too worried about losing the study as everyone does their own stuff in their own rooms anyway. The WIP would be great also.

That whole area also has hardwood floors under the carpet etc, so added bonus as I love boards.

Wondering if it would take much extra space to have the toilet in a seperate room?

Any tips on how to work out costings? I have never done anything like this before, a little terrified!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Jane I'am the do it queen without spending what I haven't been able to afford, that's been the story of my life, that's why I love Architects and how clever they are in creating things with affordable materials etc. I have just resized your plan to see whats really possible, but I love the opened up kitchen meals to the Alfresco. What climate do you live in,how many in the family and what ages, and can you actually give me the interior measurement of one of the bedrooms so I can check what I have. Costing wise would be worked out on if you work within the existing spaces or want to add to the building, most new builds are approx $2000 per sm. cheers

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Bedroom 4 is 350 x 300. I’m in Melbourne and my kids are older; 20, 18 and 16. I like the open planning, and given the shape of our house we all still have our own space which is great, too!
  • me me
    6 years ago
    Am I correct in thinking that this was originally a three bedroom house that has had two wings added out the back.
  • Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, you are, me me. The front has a tiled roof, the additions are flat, metal roofed. The middle section is decking with doors from the laundry, rumpus and living rooms.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, From the measurements I have managed to get, my rough idea for you and your family with the kids being the ages they are, I wouldn't suggest extending as you could be empty nesters any time soon, just by rearranging the bathroom laundry/kitchen you could have a much more open plan house. I have removed the WIP pantry idea as it would shorten the kitchen. The pantry is 2.9m in this drawing and only 40cm deep to allow for extra floor space in the kitchen. This depth is also great as you don't lose things as you do in deeper pantries without draws.

Is that step up from the kitchen the length of the wall?

The bathroom is now 3 way, I have this and works wonders, the door to the shower room in our house is a timber pocket for privacy, double vanity separate toilet.

The laundry is a cupboard style, which can easily be ducted for any clothes dryer use, or you could move the laundry to the garage with access through your current dining space.. You could also turn the garage into extra Master suite space with WIR/study/Laundry. Everything depends on how much you have or want to spend.

The lounge could become a media room for all the family to watch movies.

This is only to make suggestions for you to consider, having done renovations it will be a lot cheaper to achieve a more open plan lighter kitchen within the current foot print without doing costly extensions, when the kids depart, haha, you will have heaps of room and could even take Air B&B cheers

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

What is your budget?

The alterations and additions plan does look like a fairly expensive project, no wonder you walked away from it! Not great use of space either and quite wasteful with so many hallways..... Garage is pretty big and I can't see a Laundry....

However have you considered trimming it back? I'd say you'll get better value for money if you re-visited the plans, such as doing the Kitchen/meals/living and some reconfiguring of the existing only.

Still be quite a bit of money but may be a better outcome rather than constraining yourself to the existing external walls.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, why don't you show my floor plan to your designer and builder to get a ball park figure as to what the difference would be reduced or not. At this stage in life you don't need to be building a Mc Mansion. The kitchen is galley style with pot draws and sit down space if you want it, anythings possible as there's more than one way to do things cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, I'am not suggesting style or colour but some interesting narrow galley style kitchens that will work with your interior and exterior courtyard. cheers

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am SO glad I posted here, thank you for the inputs and effort! I agree, the original Reno plans wasted a lot of space. The suggestions from siriuskey have me thinking; the opened up living space would be great, and the option without the WIP looks feasible, plus could provide more storage.

This has all opened up options and thoughts, I can’t stop thinking!

Awesome stuff, I’m very appreciative!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

If you have any suggestions and would like to try them, let me know, is there a wall between the kitchen and step up into the dining" cheers

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Currently there is a wall between kitchen and dining, bu5 where the step up is, there is a cut out arched doorway, and then an arched servery further along, behind the sink.

The pic is from the master bedroom doorway. The walls are red to draw the eye away from the dilapidated cabinets, lol!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Love a red wall, that really gives a good perspective of your rooms, the kitchen is really quite dark so would benefit from opening it up, ie remove the red wall and the end wall next to the laundry etc, you could just have a wide timber step between the kitchen and dining opening it up to the courtyard and light!!, will be interesting to see if you would still need a skylight. cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

For you

• Nicole A
    6 years ago

Working your magic again sirius?! Love it!

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Thank you Nicole, really appreciate your comment, just posting some more so that Jane can get a better idea of what it could look like cheer,

Towards front door
    From kitchen towards new dining and laundry.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

as usual lots of excellent suggestions and 3D images from siriuskey but i'm wondering how you use all the other rooms and teh central decked courtyard, what are the dimensions of the living, master bedroom, ensuite and study.. what else do you love and hate about the house, what's the condition of the existing bathrooms, where is north, how do you enter the house from the garage...collecting ideas for the whole house is useful even if you're not ready for more than a new kitchen as eventually you may need to renovate other areas and it can be useful to have a long term plan that can be managed in stages

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Good to hear from you Ok, it's a family of 5 with 3 older kids and not wanting to spend big like the other floor plan, so I'am tryng to keep the changes within the existing floor plan except for adding the garage if needed. Taking out a few walls, new kitchen and bathroom will be quite an expense. if you wait until tomorrow I should be able to give you room sizes. cheers

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh, wow, the 3D pics are cool! Thank you for all your work, siriuskey!

We wouldn’t move the entrance door to the bedroom at the front (the one the laundry would back onto) as the ducted heating is there, so it would be a decent expense. I also think I’d not have seating at the island as the need for as much storage as possible is bigger.

Other thoughts... with the bathroom, I would possibly not do the door between the shower and the vanity and try to get a bigger shower in, the kids are older and one is 6 foot 3. I did get their bathroom updated about 3 yrs ago, wondering if some of that could be reused, eg vanity, shower base.

This is all so helpful! Is this sort of thing what you do for a living? Your ideas are excellent, and really make things easier!
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

welcome to HOUZZ where we can all have fun sharing your design dilemmas!!

• oklouise
    6 years ago

hello Jane, sorry to learn of your accident but you have posted some of the answers to my questions on a different post...see the one about have you done renos with your partner...and you forgot to answer where is north, what you love about the house and how you like your master suite

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am daft, huh? I’ll copy that here, is there a way to delete the other post? LOL!

Jane Taylor
    6:58 pm
    Oklouise, it is great! I am off work for a couple of weeks after a fall, so it is stopping me going totally insane! Use of rooms: the living near the master bed/ensuite is currently dining, the front lounge is the family room, and the rumpus room I rarely even enter, mostly used by the 20 yr old who has the bedroom at that end of the house. The decking is used casually as the space has a split eleven design meaning table and chairs fit if you don’t want to get in or out of your chair. Whoever designed that was foolish! There are sliding doors from the current dining to the driveway at the front of the garage. MB, not sure of budget, I have no idea really what these things cost, I guess my next step is to settle on some options and meet with a builder or similar and ask them of cost Aprox? I agree on the wasted space in the plans we didn’t use, especially around the bathroom! To move the kitchen up to the master bedroom would be expensive as there is no clearance under the two ends of the u shape, the block slopes a bit up to the back. I think I’ve answered the questions? :)
  • Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The side facing the driveway faces north.

My ensuite is...ok. There is now another robe that drops out into the dining area, and I have considered moving the ensuite wall out to match and then removing both robes, and using the ensuite space to build a WIR and new ensuite. Unfortunately I doubt the funds would stretch that far, unless all I did was replace the kitchen.

I love that the house allows us all to have our own space, yet the kitchen/dining is quite communal. I like the decking area, but hate that the toilets both have windows that don’t close and you can hear what goes on in them from the deck! I also like that there are options to close off living areas for heating, cooling and seperate entertaining occasions.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

Always good to sort money first. What are you willing to invest then work from that.

Moving kitchen will have a bit in it but even a kitchen renovation in existing spot would be say $20k with appliances. Even that is pretty basic. To relocate would be plumbing and electrical, walls, etc. it all adds up quickly.

But really I would be looking at re-visiting the alts & adds plan to get a good layout and value for money. Until then its really a big compromise as its not an ideal layout as it is. Just taking a stab here but if you had say $140k+ you could get that bigger living/kitchen area, reconfigure existing better and new wet area's. I reckon a simpler design could almost make it work.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

Jane if you need to delete or amend one of your own posts you will see at the top right hand side of your own post "edit" or "delete" always good to be able to update the typos and then just click on submit gain

• oklouise
    6 years ago

the two floorplans look like two different houses as the walls line up in the first but not the second plan and the measurements need to checked from inside and, does the outside of the living room extension carry straight out from the original house for the extension or what is the difference? if you could hobble around and measure the length and width of the courtyard, living rooms and master bedroom we would have a much more accurate idea of the existing floor plan and how do you come inside from the garage with a load of groceries

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    If kitchen and toilets annoy you most and gonna live there another 5 years open up kitchen into lounge get new toilet windows etc as MB SAYS First work out how much money You can spend and second what things you don’t like you can fix on that budget that would make you happpier
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, I have just sent Oklouise a copy of my resized floor plan of your house. Didn't know that you are injured, I will have to check your other post.

With no idea how little you are wanting to spend, my suggestions are made with keeping things simple and the lowest cost to achieve the extra space you need.

Re the bathroom shower, It's a shower room that is completely tiled with no shower screen, it does have a small raised brick height tiled step between the step in drying space and the shower both parts of the floor have a drain, Works really well in our house with a 6'4" son.

The kitchen has 3m x 40cm pantries plus 2.250 cook top bench with wall cabinets, the sink bench is 1600 with wall cabinet either side of the window. Plus the island which can have 5 x 600 pot draws or remove one to allow for a stool either side

Is there a step up on both sides of the courtyard as with the one between the current kitchen and dining?

The cost of the kitchen can be a lot less than $20K, using Bunnings/Ikea kitchens, even better if you can assemble the cabinets and then have a builder.chippie do the rest. ie: installing the kitchen, removing walls and make good.

The doorway into the bedroom is not a problem to keep as is.

With spending a bit more you could fill in the courtyard continuing the flat roof across it, you could then turn the study into a laundry. cheers

• bethanieprovan
    6 years ago

Hello, It seems to me that you walk straight in from the front door to the laundry, bath and WC, which isn't very inviting! Have you thought of moving the front door to walk into the front lounge room. Then you could make the kitchen diner open plan and the rest of the house would probably work quite well. The original front door space could become a walk in linen storage opposite the laundry.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

New floor plan idea for you Jane which allows lots of space for your family, you know to click on each picture to enlarge it.? cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I have just moved the door to the garage from the parents retreat
    and it's now beside the fridge for easy access and garbage removal from kitchen. Also adding a 3d from the front door through the house looking into the alfresco. cheer

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Siriuskey, you have been having fun! I do like your ideas, the entire thing would be too costly, but a few things interest me. Dropping a WIR into the garage, for example. To save $ I think I’d try to work it without moving the bedroom window; currently the bed head backs onto the garage wall, and the ducted heating vent is under where you have the bed. But removing the old robe would make a big difference to the ensuite.

I definitely want to keep the three living areas, it’s something that works well for us.

There is currently a wall where the plan shows looking into the laundry at the entrance, as someone said it was not inviting! And the garage is pathetically narrow, my ex built cupboards down one side so we could use it as storage. If you parked in it, and someone wasn’t cautious opening the doors they would bang into the walls!

Wondering if the bathroom and toilet stayed, the laundry went into the study, did the WIR into the garage, closed in half the courtyard....how that would work?
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, you asked if I do this for a living, I have always been involved in design and did spend time working with a wonderful Danish company, but apart from that it's always been for friends, family and word of mouth. I have been involved in designing 2 large Medical facilities and a couple of smaller commercial properties.

I did see your other post which gave some more much needed info, but would still like to know whats at the rear of the house, front of house and opposite side to your garage,

You mentioned a problem with getting plumbing to the end of the other wing (study) but as you already have the ensuite opposite my very clever plumber says it shouldn't be too difficult being so close.

I think it would be best to move those little rooms, Laundry etc so as to open up to the courtyard and allow more light into the house, your courtyard appears to need some work?

With your budget and the age of the family I Don't think I'd be looking to add to the house, this would be expensive and not needed.

There are three Zones in the last plan with two bathrooms and a third separate WC powder room which is really necessary for your big family of five.

Red zone parents

Green zone kids

Yellow zone family

All can be closed off for heating and cooling.

The family bathroom could be moved back to where I have the Linen and powder room making a bigger laundry including a WC. I will draw it for you shortly

What is at the rear of the house? cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

New laundry with WC and linen storage, Family bathroom. master robe and study

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This shot is from street view. Since then we have had a deck added over the steps, which I LOVE! :) So, we have concrete driveway, up to the garage, and also in front of the deck.

Out the back it is pretty flat, then slopes at the rear of the yard. A gravel pathway down the other side of the house.

I don’t really want to move that end bedroom, the 20 yr old lives there, and the rumpus is basically gaming central so when he has friends over it saves the sanity of the rest of us!

I am glad you seem to enjoy this, I can’t put into words how thankful I am!
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

I really like siriuskey's Thursday 11:37am plan for reconfiguring the kitchen/dining space.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

A deck at the entry must be lovely-I can imagine why you love it, Jane.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Also, how the family bath is much more functional in an infinitely better location!

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane, I didn't think the Study was a bedroom that's why I suggested changing it to the laundry. He would have a bigger bedroom using Bed 4

The deck at the front was a great idea another place to sit.as the house is already quite pretty

The garage is as you say ridiculously narrow and I consider having a driveway with a garage at the end a waste of space anyway. The one good thing is that it is on the boundary, I think so gives you maximum space. are you able to bring a carport forward towards the street, just add that to your plan. Your neighbors aren't likely to complain about anything there as it's also on their blind side.

Is the garage under the same roof as the old extension?

Who uses the other 3 bedrooms as there's only 3 kids, would you agree to move the bathroom back into bedroom 4 and keep the powder room and linen cupboard where I lastly placed the family bath?

Sorry but I'am trying get rid of "The toilet block" across the end of the courtyard.

Or would you consider adding the laundry into the garage along with your WIR and possible study.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

So more ideas for you Jane

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry, siriuskey, my wording has possibly confused things. I only need four bedrooms, one is mine, the others for the kids. So the extra one you added isn’t needed, Mr 20 lives in the one across the courtyard from me!

So, I think the idea of making bedroom 4 (Which is currently the walk through study) the family bathroom is great. Love the Thursday 11:16 and 11:17 plans a LOT. If doing new sliding doors out to the deck, I guess we could even move that wall out a bit onto the courtyard for a little extra room, costs permitting etc. Could do the euro laundry, or somehow move it into the garage. I lived in the US for a while, had my laundry in the garage, which was great in many ways. The carport idea is good, or even just leave it how it is, parking in the driveway or in front of the deck.

If after that I have the funds, I am impressed with the thought of dropping a WIR into the garage, freeing up space for the master/ensuite. This is fun/hard/exhausting! A good way to fill in time as I heal!
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

subject to accurate dimensions a very simple reno could include a new kitchen, enlarged laundry, separate toilet and new bathroom but i would expect something like this could cost about $50,000 with careful choice of fixtures and finishes and no unexpected surprises

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jane I would get a local builder to quote removing the old kitchen/laundry/bathroom and replacing with new as per my suggested layout, this opens up your small dark spaces to the internal courtyard, Bunnings and Ikea as mentioned do wonderful kitchens on a tight budget. The sliding door off the Dining out to the garage to be repurposed else where.

You mentioned the internal courtyard deck being a strange and difficult split level?, and using a table and chairs is very difficult. My suggestion would be build a timber bench seat onto the edge of the step up so that the table can next to it , this would give you extra floor space ie: no chair on that side. You could even buy a long timber storage box from bunnings to do this, just a couple of cushions and you have space saving seating plus storage. cheers,

• Jane Taylor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Excellent, guys! I feel like I should be having you over for dinner! Once I am mobile again, I will start researching to find local builders for quotes etc. I know I keep saying it, but I am so thankful for all the advice, suggestions etc. In my position this stuff is really difficult and stressful. You have helped make the ideas flow and widened the scope of my thinking majorly! THANK YOU!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Discussing this over dinner with you would be brilliant and so much easier, hope you get back on your feet soon x

• PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi Jane,

Big project - good luck! We’ve had a lot of customers use low-maintenance artificial green wall panels to bring nature to their kitchen designs. One of our clients even used them for a unique splashback! Check out our site for some inspiration - www.evergreenwalls.com.au

Richard