Houzz Logo Print
era_perera

Help! Not enough space for my butler's pantry sink

Erina Pereira
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

At our home at the beginning of the consultancy netting with the builder I requested to have the dishwasher in the left corner and place the sink in the middle. The consultant said due to a plumbing issue they could not do it.

Now I can see the end product, which I am not happy with. I can barely move my arms to even wash a dish, my left elbos bums into the wall and I feel this is terrible .

Is there any specific measurement compliance in terms of spaces like this ?

I will be asking them to switch the locations as I am. Not happy with this , but perhaps they might turn around and say no . Idk

but this is stressing me out a lot

supervsory state if we get the dishwasher into far left when we open this it will be bumping to the door Frame and got no room to work with it. We are hardly using a dishwasher at home currently and I saw this done with another home delivered by the same builder and I really liked it. I think i will use the sink more often than the dishwasher and lime to have it as I requested ☹️

What are ur feedback ?

Comments (52)

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Window & Butlers Pantry Help

Q

Comments (4)
    I agree - skylights are ideal if you can put them in. I note that you have stairs leading somewhere - I assume you've got a second floor - if this is the case then ensure that your ceiling walls, shelving are all white to bounce the light around. Opposite the window and your sliding doors put in a mirror behind your pantry shelves which will help reflect light and maximize the available "free" light available. Put in good quality LED strip lighting under the shelves that will also assist you - and see if you can have them tied to motion sensors (it'll come down to your budget).. As to what Jo's reference, pantries are for storing food stuffs and ideally are cool with at least some areas that are dark so think about providing this in the way of doors that will allow for a darker area for things such potatoes and onions that need cool dark places to avoid sprouting. This would allow the best of both worlds for you.
    ...See More

Help me with my new butlers pantry design

Q

Comments (17)
    Personally I love angles & splays, BUT they have to have purpose and be functional. Without seeing more surrounding context hard to comment but i can't help wondering why this all being so squeezed in one area, but then almost wasted/under-utilised space in-between the island and the table - it's like the pantry's boxing/internalising the kitchen which is not ideal.....either way I'd make sure that it flows and is functional and not awkward anywhere
    ...See More

Butlers pantry with or without a sink?

Q

Comments (2)
    You are building a very large home with a good size pantry. If you tend to leave washing dishes until after your guests have left, then you have room for sink and dishwasher in pantry. But, if you wash dishes straight away and clear up while friends/family are there, then leave your sink and dishwasher in main kitchen. Nothing worse than being stuck in a small room with no windows, while everyone else is having fun. If you decide to put sink in the pantry, may I suggest you also put a small sink in main kitchen. This is for water for cooking, drinking, washing hands. Personally, by the way I live, I would keep the sink and dishwasher in the kitchen area. Keep the pantry, for just that, storage of food and kitchen appliances.
    ...See More

Help, do I need a sink in my butler's pantry?

Q

Comments (45)
    Note - This is what I think of the concept in general. It's not a criticism again the OP - I think Butler's pantries are better idea's in concept than practice. I've not understood the rationale for a kitchen thats separate to your kitchen, unless of course you are prepping all your meals in there in which case what is the kitchen for? I think it's a sign of the times that we have more space and more money than we know what to do with when we start installing two kitchens in the same space. Of course I understand the rationale for a pantry. A place to store food items that may not be used frequently and the same for appliances. In the days when food was only available in season and the only way to preserve certain foods was to pickle and bottle it then a large space to store those supplies was necessary. We live in the modern age now where any food can be gotten easily and cheaply all year round. So these spaces are housing mostly appliances that we rarely use. And if we rarely use them you have to ask yourself why you are holding onto them?
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

You need to speak to the builder, and have the DW installed on the RH side with the sink in the middle so that you can work at both the sink and DW, as it is the power point above the sink is illegal, sorry.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't know the power point cannot be staying next to the sink, but i felt it is not correct as the water can splash into it often when cleaning dishes

I am all right to have the DW in the LH side and the sink in the middle. I check the door frame and it shouldnot be an issue to open the DW .

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

So that the flow between kitchen and pantry works, ie; you don't want a dishwasher door opened across in front of the access between both spaces. You would be better off moving the DW to the LH side with the sink in the middle, ie: swapping the now DW space with the LH cabinet, you will need a new bench top. This should have been picked up before installation to avoid such bad design. Speak to your builder to see if you can do a deal as you also have had issues with bathroom tiling. The following for your info re sinks and power points cheers

For containers that hold less than 45L, zone 2 is defined as 0.4m above the top of the container, and 0.15m from the edges of the water container. For those that hold more than 45L, it's 1.0m above and 0.5 metres from any given side.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Dr. House

thank you for your feedback

the flash back is a subway tile which they have it yet installed.

The order of the elevation of the butlers sink is L-R sink , DW, pullout bin is what you see now

initially I requested them L-R DW , sink, pulled out bin

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@siriuskey

i didn't know it is illegal to have a switch board next to a DW and no one inform us during colour selection :(

thank you for your information regarding the sink and power point

• jojoemetoo
    5 years ago
    If you are on a slab, you’ve got no chance moving the sink or dishwasher now, without cutting up the slab. Build won’t do it - unless you’re willing to pay.
    Erina Pereira thanked jojoemetoo
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I think that because the sink and DW washer are in such a small space it wouldn't be too difficult to change and worth the extra cost, as it is you wouldn't be able to stand in front of the sink if the DW was open, not a good design.

• how2girl
    5 years ago

This is a conga line of bad...the designer/architect who drew the plan, the council that approved the plan, the electrician who ran the wiring (did he even look at the plan), the cabinet maker & the installer who placed the cabinets, the bench top installer who cut the expensive stone top & installed the sink with so little clearance on the left hand side, not to mention blithely continued knowing there was a power point in a position that doesn’t comply with electrical safety standards. Then there’s the builder, who is 100% responsible for overseeing all of these (highly skilled??) tradespeople. Not one of them had the foresight to stop & say “this is not going to work”

It‘s not your fault and you should not pay for the poor decision making & lack of due care by the many parties involved.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

how2girl - so true, but sadly with many project home builders nobody is actually paid to think, they are just paid to build what is on the plans. Questions about good design just slow the process down, and delay the next progress payment.

Everybody just works under the pump and assumes that someone has thought it through, and the customer has signed it off. The customer also assumes that the people that they deal with in the pre-contract phase know what they are talking about, but most have no design training or skills.

Many of these tradesmen who work on these types of jobs are not paid much as they have a large amount of guaranteed work if they don't rock the boat. Unfortunately good design doesn't count for much, whereas the speed of securing the next progress payment counts for a lot.

I left that industry nine years ago when I realized that I preferred to help clients, rather than help building companies with their customers.

Dr Retro

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · More Info

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

sorry to see this has happened - but yet another (typical) example of why volume building is not a great option.....cheaper perhaps, but high risk as you are dealing with the lower end of what is not a great industry at the best of times & as Dr Retro implied, this part of the industry is more about money than actually caring about what people end up with when the whirlwind of (bad) trades have come and gone....

Stick to your guns and push for what you want - & remember as soon as you hand over that last payment don't expect to get anything more.........

Dishwasher left, sink in the middle - No. Brainer.

PD

Erina Pereira thanked Paul Di Stefano Design
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Pro,s- how do you know this is a volume/project builder? Mistakes also happen in custom design builds. In this instant, Erina Pereira, should have stuck to her guns, before signing off on the plans. The plans show the layout as built. To me it is a shame, as mentioned by all, that the workman continued with electrical etc, when clearly not to code. In my opinion, it is the intimidation felt by clients/home builders. We as clients/home builders have to stand strong, and have a critical eye passed over our plans before signing off. It is our money, and our home.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Paul, I think you meant sink on the Right on the left is blocking the access to and from the WIP when it's open, we don't want more bad design.

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

It's not an ideal design either way - the dishwasher would be actually better in the island with the main larger sink....but sink centralised so there is practical space either side of it...issue is here clearly it's been built as per the drawings.....

Dreamer, whilst we're taking at educated guess re the volume build there are many clues ...looking at the context, the finishes, the materials, the various floor plan/design characteristics that scream off the shelf/volume build, and to top it off Erina indicates "consultant" and "colour selection" which just typifies the way the volume process works - which is a streamlined thing so they can plug in the decisions and the spit out a house without any further thought or slow down...........we recommend a completely different approach, (which builders/trades (generally) hate) where we take time to ensure detail is covered and checked and that the client understands exactly what they are getting - it achieves perfect outcomes for the client, but it takes much longer and time is money in this industry.....you do things via a "quick" process, well, as you say mistakes, misinterpretation and disappointment are inevitable

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Dreamer - the project home build process is very much like a sausage factory, and with the larger builders they are very much into production and output to keep costs down, and cash-flowing. They try to discourage changes by customers unless they are within a very narrow set of variables. I like to think that project home builders have "customers", as you are largely buying a pre-determined product. Sadly I have witnessed some "customer service" staff try to intimidate their customers to keeping their houses on the straight and narrow, so that they can get to the next stage faster.

I know of one big project home builder who only has draftspeople (no architects/designers) and these staff are forbidden to have any contact with customers. Any changes are made by a process of chinese whispers through the customer service person, who has no building or design background, which is why their customers have unfortunate experiences like Erina.

Professionals have "clients" where the design process is much more collaborative, and flexible.

Don't go to a project home builder in the hope that there will be much collaboration in the design. Just as you wouldn't walk into a Toyota showroom and hope to have some input into the design of the car. As a Toyota customer you can choose paint colours, interior finishes, and a few limited options (which is usually tied into specification choices), but don't expect to be able to move the glovebox, or adjust the indicator lights!

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• how2girl
    5 years ago

Agree, & the closest you’ll get to a “builder” is the sales person who signs you up. From there you are completely in their hands & they are completely in your wallet.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear of the negative experiences with project builders. We contracted a project builder to build our home. We paid $1000 (non-refundable) for an architect, at their company, to design a home to our room requirements, size of rooms, and an awkward shape block. North frontage opposite a park. We started this process in dec 2013. We were very pleased with the design. Signed the contract. Build started in October 2014 and we moved in July 2015. During the build, Every two weeks we had a sight visit with supervisor, explaining the current and future progress. This is a 345sqm double story, double brick, concrete slab, concrete suspended slab home. The devil is in the detail. Getting it correct on paper. I'm glad to say that we were their clients, not customers. So please don't think project builders are all the same.
  • how2girl
    5 years ago

I’m pleased that you had a good experience, I’m sure they’re not all bad. But in saying that it’s not just project builders.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Dreamer - so glad you had a good result, however I think your home falls more into the "Design/Build" type of business model rather than the traditional project build model that has a standardised catalogue of products, and limited scope to vary.

There are many project builders who do very cost effective products, but it is when their customers want something a little bit different that they often run off the rails. Unfortunately you can't tell when paying your deposit how accessible any of their design talent will be if you do want to make changes.

Dr Retro

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Dr retro, all the project builders we approached were happy to draw up alterations to their existing designs, or design a home for us for a non refundable cost. Maybe because of our budget we were approaching more considerate builders.
  • Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the request of the layout i wanted DW, Sink and Pull out bin has always been like that, the consultant of the office said that the DW can not be moved in to middle due to plumbing issue,

I stepped back as they knows better than us and believed her work because she mentioned that she checked with drawing people. however, now when i see this i checked with the supervisor and asked hypnotically is this is something that we could be done eg: having three thing according to what i want and he said if this brought to attention possibly could be done it before, but now it is too late as he got to build what we have agreed to.

so i spoke to consultant and explained how difficult it is to work in this small space, then she said at this point they can not make any changes, if we need it revers she asked whether we like to pay money for this.

What i don't understand is, how can she even ask this question now because if she told me that from the beginning that it is not doable, how can she get it done now if i am happy to pay, if you can't do , you can;t do , how can she if i can make a payment to get it fix ,

this is very disappointing how they are treating their clients . it is not the first time she mucked up so much in my butlers pantry,

she did not agreed to set our cook top in the butlers, and gave all kind of reason saying no vent air access, there is a beam, bla bla bla, but the building supervisor said this could be done, and thanks to him able to do a variation and organise it.

but if we are to listen to that woman we will never get it right. she is very rude, some of the thing i had to go to colour selection office and investigate and get the information from the store manger , because she frankly said this is not available,but yet i fount it is something we can include after making a payment, (stair case design) we are happy to pay for what we like in our home, it is not a problem. But they need to give clear guidance and direction of what is can and can not and be honest. for them it is just a job, not something that making others lives happy

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I really feel for you in this situation, but at the end of the day it doesn't work for you as it is, Speak to the builder to see what he can offer to make it good.

If it was me I would even consider cutting the bench top to suit the re arrangement of the : ie From left, Rubbish bin,Sink, Dishwasher. make the cut away from the original sink cutout and include the width of the DW, the off cut could then be placed to the left above the bin. You would need to seal the join.

This isn't perfect and not knowing what material you have used for the bench top but because it's in the pantry it could work and save you the cost of a new bench top.

Your designer has really failed you and before proceeding with any other work I would double check your plans, ie; post on Houzz or consult with another designer, good luck

Erina Pereira thanked siriuskey
  • how2girl
    5 years ago

Erina, from your explanation you have been treated poorly by the sales consultant, when she says what you want isn’t possible but technically it is possible. Before you sign off on any variation can you please write to the General Manager of the building company stating your situation & concerns.

• robandlyn
    5 years ago

I agree with how2girl, definitely write to or phone the general manager. If it was me I would also include a copy of this post and the replies you have received. It will help you explain your situation, and he/she will be able to see the replies of some pros etc. It also may help your cause financially - if he sees the impression it has given to so many readers it is hardly good advertising! You haven't mentioned the name of the builders but there is nothing from stopping you doing so as a warning to others if you don't receive a satisfactory outcome.

• how2girl
    5 years ago

Erina, the issue of DW placement to the left hand side, sink in the middle & you being told it’s not possible due to the plumbing (currently under sink on left hand side)... in technical terms I believe it can be resolved, albeit in a slightly compromised fashion, but achieving your desired result.

If the plumbing comes through the concrete floor/slab up vertically to the sink it could be directed towards the centre/open section via a bend to the right, as low as possible but with the required fall, then up to sink in the centre section.

Can your DW go on the RHS?, so it’s not opening into the accessway? Then the bin drawer can go to the left (power point wall). To accommodate the bin drawer, because it’s going in the area where you have redirected plumbing, they can make the bin pullout with a false bottom to accommodate the pipe. From the outside the drawer will look the same but inside your bin would sit higher up, so the bin would need to be downsized to suit the smaller internal height of the pullout.

You would then end up with, from left to right - bin drawer, sink, DW.

The benchtop would obviously need to be redone.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is one of the leader builders work in Victoria . They guaranteed the finishing as display even though this layout is not in our display home .

they state to us that they are not going to change anything . It is sad , very sad :(

They are continue to progress with the work , add water line , taps , doors etc

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Should I put a review on the website ? I saw the complaint team responding to them

• robandlyn
    5 years ago

Have you spoken to the General Manager? I would do that first and give him a chance to make amends. If you don't get a satisfactory response then yes, by all means put a review.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will surly mention the builders name to you guys

I'm waiting to hear from the consultant about the cost that is going to involve in order to re do this if possible .

just waiting to see if it is something we can bear to see what is the next plan .

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Erina, the power point above the sink is not to code. (Illegal) This must be removed from the position shown in earlier photos. This is not an option to the builder, this is a fact. Don,t let the tiling start on this area. The tiling will have to be redone, once PowerPoint is removed. You mentioned the consultant was difficult to deal with. If you feel uncomfortable dealing with that person, then speak to the building manager. You need to be heard, and quickly. (The wooden floors are now in, and these may have to be redone if dishwasher position changes)
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

"Leading builder in Victoria" doesn't mean much apart from the number of houses they can churn out due to their streamlined production techniques by minimising customer changes, screwing their suppliers and tradesmen, and giving the buyer a cheaper house. Don't equate it to high quality or care, just like McDonald's is the leading restaurant in Victoria based on the number of meals they serve. If you don't change their recipe they can provide a cheaper roof over your head than a smaller operation, or custom build. It also depends on how you measure the quality of a home?

Best of luck with any changes after it has been built (especially as they will want their next progress payment).

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Looking once again at the PowerPoint above sink. Looking closely, this is not a PowerPoint, but power on/off switches. They have been placed in a lower than normal position. Still not good.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

What is the actual name of the floorplan you chose, Name of Display house?, bad design keeps happening, that door into the Pantry?

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

dreamer this is posted above

For containers that hold less than 45L, zone 2 is defined as 0.4m above the top of the container, and 0.15m from the edges of the water container. For those that hold more than 45L, it's 1.0m above and 0.5 metres from any given side.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Siriusky, I noted your earlier post. Do you think that the power is installed .4m above this sink? Anyway, it appears to be a switch not GPO.
  • Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

it is a switch

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Dreamer like everyone else I would be guessing, but I would think that electrical switch or power point wouldn't be a good idea, why would you do it?

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

If you're looking to get your money back or have them change the positioning after they have installed, I don't think it will happen unfortunately. That looks like a stone slab which is expensive and if you signed off on the design prior to the install there isn't much that can be done I'm afraid.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd , Yeah you are correct, They sent me a reply , even though we asked for a quotation , they came back to us saying it is too late now and can not do any changes :(

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Sorry to read about the final result. This is why it is very important to be critical on drawings, prior to signing contract. Once you move in and get settled, you will adjust to what you have. Look on the positive side of all situations. If you have lots of dishes to wash. You can do them in the double kitchen sinks. A family member may help you, instead of being in the butlers pantry, by yourself.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

Unfortunately Erina, your best bet sometimes in this industry is to cut your losses and if it important enough to rectify, outsource a separate contractor/company to come in and re-do it at your own expense.....you just have to look at it as part of the cost of your project.......many people will have stories of deciding pay twice (sometimes more!) to eventually achieve the satisfactory results - ultimately you have to live with it long term and sometimes it's worth it to get it right....ultimately only you can make that decision one way or the other........it's not necessarily right or fair, but unfortunately these are the risks (& hard lessons) of building

Best of luck Erina, PD :)

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

@ Erina, I'm really sorry to hear about the results. Maybe warn people to carefully read the plans and make sure they get a 3D overview with a person to scale so they can see exactly whats, what. Its hard to visualize with a 2D drawing which is where mistakes can occur.

May I ask what you were asking a quote for?

Best of luck for the rest of your build.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

siriuskey

is this is compliance ?

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Yes it is

The following for your info re sinks and power points cheers

For containers that hold less than 45L, zone 2 is defined as 0.4m above the top of the container, and 0.15m from the edges of the water container. For those that hold more than 45L, it's 1.0m above and 0.5 meters from any given side.

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

technika tsf101s undermount sink

this is the sink we are using, i could find any info whether it is containing 45 L or more

• Erina Pereira
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

ask the question to the seller, what are the Specifications

• how2girl
    5 years ago

Here are the measurements...length 454 by width 403 by height 211 = volume, therefore it’s 38.6 litres