Houzz Logo Print
jodee7

Layout dilemma 70s brick house

jodee7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

We are about to purchase my husband's family home so his mum can stay on the property & build herself a granny flat in the far right corner of the property so she has a separate entry & privacy.

The trouble is the layout is not the greatest! We live in WA and the northern aspect of the house is the garage. If we opened into the garage to maximise the northerly aspect we would have my mother in law walking past our main living area.

We have 2 pre teens so need to think about them having their own space to hang out with friends and space for us as well.

I think opening up the back with a bifold door to create a indoor/outdoor room would be ideal.

I am having trouble trying to utilise and maximize the space as much as possible. We are looking at just adding a carport for the cars to the front of the house. The house was built in the 70's & the roof needs to be fixed so perfect opportunity to add skylights etc.

My husband grew up in the house so we want to change and modernize this place. Especially the main bedroom! We don't have a huge budget, but my husband is a plumber and we would rather spend money on utilising the space well.

I would appreciate any advice and understand that to get the most of this space we know we will need an architect.

Thanks

Jodie

Comments (41)