Houzz Logo Print
sara_kutliroff

Den Design Dilemma

Sara K
5 years ago

Hi,

Have some great pieces in my den and don't want to part with most of them. Any suggestions to pull this all together or is it just too much going on? Would you stain the caning on the smaller piece to match the darker hutch? Remove and put in glass? Just get rid of something? Live edge tables? The leather ottoman? New pillows? (Not getting rid of the kid in the pic :) )

I love them all...

Comments (81)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Sara K, that last rug is Pier 1's popcorn jute rug in natural:

• pink_peony
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Can you relocate the dark cabinet? It makes the room feel unbalanced. Everywall doesn't need to have a piece of furniture placed against it and I think that wall would be fine with just a large piece of art. By moving the cabinet it would allow a nice round table to that side of the sofa for a lamp too. Its hard to tell because your photos are one sided in that they don't show that side of the room. It would help to have a photo of that side of the room to see how the sectional looks from the other side. I actually like the caned piece under the TV. I wouldnt paint it. Instead I would play off of the color and feel of it. Do you use the door to the left of the sectional? If so why do you have tables and a plant there? I would move those. The great thing about small stackable tables like those is they can sit and be functional in front of the arm of a sofa. Again I can't see the other side of that sofa and whats above it (family photo) but consider placing the photo where the tall dark cabinet is. Then place a large piece of art there that plays off the color of the caned cabinet. Art is subjective but I've chosen these for color more than content.

Oversize Abstract Gold Gray Blue White Modern Art Painting, 61" Square Framed · More Info

Abstract Landscape Modern Minimalist Acrylic Painting on Canvas, 36x36, Yellow · More Info

Serene Landscape II Fresh Canvas Wall Art Decor · More Info

On windows I would consider Roman shades. I would mount them as high as possible so it doesn't close the room in.

Bring in something with contrast to the sofa on your floor

Yucatec Bazaar Grey Blue Zig Zag Outdoor Rug - 9'2x12'1 · More Info

Rizzy Home Sorrento 3'3"x5'3" Area Rug, Blue/Light Blue Navy Gold Tan Ivory · More Info

On the coffee/ ottoman do something lighter

Hapuna Charcoal Faux Shagreen Silver Rectangle Tray · More Info

Morton Square Mixed Silver Metal Contemporary Serving Tray · More Info

Pillows and a throw to bring those colors together

photos · More Info

Table

Westminster 24" Round End Table by Kosas Home · More Info

Burton Transitional Pedestal Side Table, Gray Wash, Gray Wash · More Info

Perry Coastal Beach Grey Blue Square Pillow - 24x24 · More Info

Pomponin Collection PomPom Design Down Filled Linen Throw Pillow, Blue Gray · More Info

Timbuktu Pillow, Blue and Gray, 16"x24" · More Info

Radclyffe Dot Pillow Gray Blue 20"x20" · More Info

Lamps

Cantarana Blue Gray Table Lamp · More Info

• Related Discussions

Post a Design Dilemma to WIN!

Q

Comments (1)
    This competition has now concluded. Winner to be announced shortly!
    ...See More

Difficult design layout dilemma

Q

Comments (31)
    I am thinking that you don't really need this as a sitting room as you already have a lounge, family room, and library. Can it be opened up into the entrance hall to provide a larger grand entrance? Could it house the piano instead of having it in the library? Could it be turned into a new entrance with the entrance door being shifted to the bay window and the old front entrance becoming a larger closet? I like Andy Pat's option of ditching the wall and just making the whole of the window area a window seat. This space really is just a large walkway and I don't feel that it will ever fulfil a need not already met in a couple of other spaces.
    ...See More

Kitchen update design dilemma

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi Emma, Lots of great ideas, love the idea of a larger fridge to fill that large space, build in s/s microwave, shelf or shelves either side of range hood , timber but I think stainless steel would add a bit of glamour, fill with beautiful items, then stand back and decide if you want to update cupboard doors, if so plain would look great, some great stools ... gorgeous
    ...See More

Lounge room design dilemma - two openings and a fireplace

Q

Comments (9)
    I know it's going to be controversial, but hypothetically, if you did move the TV to the opposite wall, maybe you could swing that whole lounge suite around to face it, then set up a lovely round dining table (as suggested above) on the original TV wall. It looks like the TV is in a walkway area of the room - if it was on the other wall you could put a nice blockout roller blind on the window next to the fireplace and make the loungeroom feel more cosy and private. BUT... there's obviously good reasons to keep the TV where it is, just throwing it out there!
    ...See More
  • Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love these suggestions! Was considering moving the hutch but the only place I have to put it is my basement - would it look less heavy if I painted it a shabby/ distressed white?

If I relocate it to basement I love the art in your second picture!

Thanks bunches. I do think I’m married to that jute rug Grover selected for the beachy feel it would bring the room.
  • Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And Peoney my door is a double slider on the side wall and there is also an exit door (we don’t use) hence the tables and plants. Will try to get better pic later!
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Those rugs are great looking. Be aware and I only say this as information they can't be cleaned. Pottery Barn makes beautiful one as well. But jute cant be cleaned so even though they have a wool content , not cleanable. I wish they would come out with a version that has faux jute so that wasn't the case because they are great looking. But they do get very worn looking. If it is a room that doesn't get a lot of traffic, animals or spills I say go for it!

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

And Peoney my door is a double slider on the side wall and there is also an exit door (we don’t use) hence the tables and plants. Will try to get better pic later!

In that case If that door isnt used I think those tables are too small for the area and you need one large table to fill the space. You can place a lamp on it and the photos on your cane cabinet which I would leave the top of that cane cabinet empty since its purpose is really to have something under the TV. Which begs the question is there a reason why the TV is so high? Not mounted inches about the cabinet and covering all the wall mount mechanisms? Can you move it down so it is centered above the cane cabinet? As far as the tall cabinet. Painting it would definitely make it not feel as heavy but I still think the room would be better off without it personally. I cant say without seeing that side of the room but It might be better off flat against the sofa wall. Then you can position the small stacked tables you have to the left of the sectional in front of the door in front of it and towards the front arm of the sectional. Again not sure without seeing that side of the room.

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Tv is being lowered today actually! It was a mistake on the part of the installer :)
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Yes, to replacing the rug and adding different accent pillows.

I would also get a larger square ottoman or coffee table.

Article Tablet Charme Black Square Ottoman

I would also search for some "Kilim throw pillows" to add some color:
    When you buy pillows, make sure you mix style, pattern and texture so the design doesn't fall flat.

Hope this helps!

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wondering if I get rid of hutch for basement - I keep my bar stuff in there. Would it look good to get a bar cart or cabinet for that empty spot where the hutch is? Something lighter? Any thoughts or anyone great with some Photoshop?

• pat1250
    5 years ago
    Following
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    And yes, bring the TV down to a comfortable viewing height for an adult....right on top of the cabinet or a console.
  • Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Better pics of space - forgive the mess. and clutter atop the hutch.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Yes to painting the china cabinet.

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you :) Thnk I will just move it. It's just too annoying to paint and dislike it. but thank you for the visual to confirm!!

• cluedin
    5 years ago
    If anyone is thinking about the pier one popcorn jute rug, i recommend standing on it prior to purchase. I found it unbearable to stand on in bare feet and extremely uncomfortable even with socks on. I returned mine.
  • cluedin
    5 years ago
    @ pink peony Just read your comment on Pottery Barn wool/jute rugs. You are so right! Had one of those for quite a few years, but no rug company could clean it and it ended up getting moths (under a large ottoman where i didn't notice). What a nightmare. Threw the whole rug out. It was such a pretty soft rug
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

• missenigma
    5 years ago

Oh no. The kid and the dog have gone missing!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Square Embossed Accent Table | World Market · More Info

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Moved hutch - now thinking bar cart?
  • Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

or because I have kids - bar cabinet? Would that look silly?? anyone with mad photoshop skills wanna show me a suggestion? I had a lot of liquor in my cabinet I moved and now I need to relocate :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Mistana Stevenson Modern Style 2 Door Accent Bar Cabinet with Undertone & Review · More Info

Sara K thanked groveraxle
  • Kate
    5 years ago
    Skip the bar and add an end table and table lamp.
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

I really think a nice round table therewould be your best bet. Any cabinet or bar cart would look like a piece of furniture shoved in the corner where as a table looks purposeful. I’d do round with a lamp . Instead of having framed photos scattered all over the room focus them to one location on that table.

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the round table idea - issue is where to relocate all my liquor!! There is no room anywhere else.

• cluedin
    5 years ago
    Why don't you move your live edge tables there and take a photo. All you have to do to photo shop is go on houzz shopping and hit " see in your room" then snap the picture. I have trouble getting personal photos off here to do that for you.
    Sara K thanked cluedin
  • Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

perfect @cluedin - thank you!

You guys have been amazing and given me so many great ideas. thanks a zillion!

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Can your booze go in your cane cabinet?

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nope! There is a built in shelf halfway so only small things in there :( I love that end table though. maybe I'll just stop drinking, haha

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

It looks like you have a dining area through the doorway ? Can you relocate to the dining area?

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

What is on the wall where I’ve pointed the red arrow?

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

corner cabinet. kitchen is open next to this - no room in there :)

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Ahhh I see. Now if you had two of the tall piece you have in your other room you are trying to relocate they would looks awesome on either side of the eating area window!

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I used to have it there. It was too deep. Made the room feel small.This corner piece was a find in an antique store. It's from a farm in the early 1800s. :) I love that piece! Relocated the big hutch to the basement hangout area and stuffed her with books. Looks cool down there.

• mileve
    5 years ago

following

• melinda1977
    5 years ago

Your display in the corner cabinet looks nice, but I wonder if it could be called into service to store liquor, instead.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Sara is your corner cabinet have the ability with some rearranging to house your bar items? it seems like the perfect spot to have bar items! Another possibility it to do some floating type shelves with bar ability where the photo is to the right of the eating area window. Or do a small bar cart under that photo

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

How did I do on pillows? Still working on art...

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

You have lovely windows. Over the sofa, maybe a large painting of trees, branches to bring the outside in? Also, the plant and end table bother me. Look like they are blocking the door. Can you move them?

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's not the door - it's a dead door there are sliders next to it. And I already lost the end tables. Just plants there now

• J Williams
    5 years ago

pillows look nice and cozy

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    5 years ago

Speaking to window treatments, could you picture some woven woods in here? Like these:

Or are you keeping more of an open look with no shades?

• eaw 513
    5 years ago
    Lots of good suggestions here. The sectional looks incredibly comfy but big for the room (we have the same issue after moving here to a smaller house). If you keep it, ditch the side table in front of the door, looks like it obstructs the path out.

I’d get a rug with color and some complementary throw pillows and blankets, lots of good suggestions here. I’d also ditch the round ottoman for a streamlined rectangular table giving you more surface area for drinks, etc., in front of the sectional. I have one with drawers so we can ramp down surface clutter. LOVE that the hutch is your bar, mine is inside of a darker red antique Chinese wedding wardrobe.

I really like the piece below your tv, consider having the hutch refinished to a lighter finish like that. We have a similar square room on the back of our house that is our family room but have 2 walls of 4-pane sliders, one wall of double hung windows, and French doors leading into the original house. They are all currently looking out on 2+ feet of Chicago ‘burb “white stuff.” Enjoying the heat wave of +5F with subzero wind chill in the teens today. Is it spring yet? Good luck and please post after pics here!
    Sara K thanked eaw 513
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I just saw your pillow post - yes I like it from here: the amount of texture, relating to the rug... and some soft blues....

• Carol jean Mudgett
    5 years ago
    Get rid of two off white pillows. They don't look good with other pillows
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

A need for ? could be good witll all your pillows....

Safavieh Montauk Collection MTK717 Rug, Ivory/Navy, 9' X 12' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-montauk-flatweave-rug-ivory-navy-9x12-prvw-vr~90215868

• Sara K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Updated pics (excuse wet touch up paint) still need art above sofa. Something under pics of my kids (just junk there now that needs removing. A console table? Bar?) And any other finishing touches - haven’t swapped rug yet.

Lowered tv, removed hutch and added pillows for color.