Houzz Logo Print
webuser_387747871

Please Help Relocate Our Tiny Laundry

Yasmin S
4 years ago

Hello! We recently purchased a little 2 bed semi in the inner city. The washing machine is in the kitchen, under a counter and there is no room for a dryer. We really want to have a dedicated washing machine and dryer space, and are trying to figure out the best way to get it. We know we'll have to use the bathroom/bedrooms for hampers and storage but getting the washing machine out of the kitchen and having space for a dryer is going to be life changing.

Attached is our floorplan - WM is the current location of the washing machine. We have two ideas:

Location 1: On our covered patio. We could get a cupboard built to hide a stacked washing machine and dryer, and there would be room for an exposed sink and countertop (which could be handy when entertaining outdoors). The downsides are that the machines will technically outdoors and possibly could be victim to the elements? The patio is covered but can get wet in very heavy rain. Other downsides are that if we want to do any work in the future on the patio (change the roof or put in a deck as it's currently tiled) we may need to revisit our laundry situation and lose some of the work that has been done.

Location 2: In an existing cupboard. This cupboard would need to be waterproofed and plumbed in - we think it's possible as the water pipes run just on the outside wall next to the cupboard, but obviously we'd need to get an expert opinion. The downsides are that there is no room for a sink here. I've read varying things about laundries needing to have a separate sink (I'm in NSW Australia) and I'm not sure if this will be an issue if we don't have a sink. The current washing machine drains into the kitchen sink pipe, which seems like it's against the modern code in case that's relevant.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on which option could work best? Or if there's another option I'm missing, I'd love to hear about it! We're pretty certain the machines will not fit in the bathroom as it's tiny. The house is heritage listed, which does limit the work that can be done. Thank you in advance!

Comments (17)