kiwimills

Block of land, this plan?

kiwimills
6 months ago

I have blacked out the roads, not that I am nervous about showing the block, it's just we have offered and they are thinking about it. It's not on the market and has been empty for 14 yrs, since the estate was established.
West faces a no man's land and then a golf course.

It's In Christchurch, NZ, west back yard to block the cold easterly wind which blows all summer and the southerlies that bring rain from Antartica.
Western sun is welcome...as its warm. Think Hobart....and then colder.

Oklouise had this plan below on another thread and I think something like this would work well.
I have tweaked it, to get sun into most rooms and to have a north west view from lounge.
As that's the view of the alps and the nicest vista so oriented towards that would work well.

We may not get it, but if we do...Whaooopp
Need to be ready to build.
Our house up near the bay of islands is on the market, so we will be moving south

I have two pieces of furniture I would like to include,
A bonus room in attic somewhere (over garage or kitchen.)
I like this style of wardrobe
The room sizes are rough, think that is internal size, so could be a bit bigger....more oklouise sizes
Block is 830sq
You can build 2 mets in on all sides,
Front to street is east
Don't need alfresco, will use electric awnings on the three days it is hot.
And I like the European style, with high pitched roof, but open to anything.

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Wir, I like.
    Buffet And shelf 1600mm long
    Would like to keep.
    I have placed them on my plan
    (B AND PHOTOS )

if anyone wants to have a play, and has some spare time, would love to have a houzz Design!!

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

OKLouise's plan reversed

• Related Discussions

Home and land.

Q

Houzz, this needs moving to design dilemmas.
    ...See More

Floor plans for a North East facing block

Q

I'm with saragraham76 here, do some more research by looking at yourhome.com.au amongst other site's. I'd also look at the council regulations and find out about easement's, covenants, etc. Millions of floor plans around so the chances of finding the winner is actually rather difficult as there is just so many, however if you want a 'project home' then hire an independent designer to help find one thats suitable. There are a lot of good project home designs (and builders) around and can be good value if you can sort through them all and know what to look for. Webb & Brown-Neaves have some fantastic designs and I believe they're exceptional builders although based in WA. The alternative is for a custom designed home but will usually cost more overall. A project home has been designed to be built hundreds of times so the detailed construction plans, bill of materials, etc. is reused on each job saving a lot of work and hence the cheaper costs. A custom designed dwelling rarely will compete but the house is your's and (usually) yours only. One some sites this is the only option. Budget is key so that is the biggest consideration initially.
    ...See More

opinions on floorplan

Q

With littlies in the house that grand staircase is going to need multiple child gates and how you attach them temporarily so they don't look ugly and then neatly remove them in the future is going to be a question. The second stairs of course will need child gates too, though the location and style might not present the same challenges aesthetically. Two of the upstairs childrens bedrooms have ensuites but one does not have access to a separate bathroom. The choices appear to be to use that second door to one of the ensuites, go through someone else's bedroom to other ensuites, or go downstairs to one of the guest bedrooms. Such a large home should be able to avoid such compromises. I especially don't like the two door ensuite, it reduces wall space for towel rails and creates unnecessary complications with remembering which door to lock/unlock. Personally I think a well designed family bathroom area can give children both the privacy such things deserve and the valuable life lessons of sharing. The halfbaked arrangement of every bedroom 'sort of' getting its own ensuite is 'luxurious' yet not harmonious. The master bedroom suite as is looks potentially like a large amount of carpet to vacuum. Perhaps that's on my mind because just prior to coming to this website I was browsing real estate listings and I saw exactly that, a huge master bedroom with mostly no purpose that I could discern. Perhaps some people want the space to spread out their yoga mats or practice their ballroom dancing and if so that's understandable, but consider that if you don't require acres of floor you are missing out the opportunity for some practical luxuries such as a separate wc in the ensuite or separate his and hers WIR's. And further to the idea of practical luxuries, a mudroom coming in from the garage, a coat closet near the entry for your guests, well designed dedicated storage for whatever hobbies or sports the family partakes in, outdoor access and play space for the children separate to the pool for safety, a laundry chute, I'm sure there are more possible ideas variable according to lifestyle. Perhaps it's a personal preference but I see a relationship between a study and a library so I would prefer them connected or combined. Again, it is about personal preferences, but the space on the plan called a retreat looks like a thoroughfare and is not my vision of a quiet relaxing space to retreat to. With so many rooms perhaps it is helpful to explain the function and purpose of the various spaces in more detail? Some of the sizes seem off, for example the powder room looks huge in comparison with the tiny ensuite attached to the guest bedroom? Heating, cooling, orientation, are valid issues which have been raised. I think for the money you are going to spend you can do much better to achieve something which provides comfort and practicality and architectural merit.
    ...See More

help! Vacant Land purchase

Q

Lots of good info here. https://www.yourhome.gov.au Orientation is explained here, with diagrams. https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation Longest side of house to allow maximum number of windows facing north. If you have an alfresco, either position it at the western or eastern end or have a pergola with a deciduous vine or an opening style pergola so you don't block valuable winter sun.
    ...See More
  • kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

The reversed plan fits brilliantly, I think, on block.

We can go about 180 sq plus bonus room. ( only due to budget constraints)

We have 5 kids, but none will be with us, this will be the home grandchildren visit when/if we get any and their parents can have the 2 bedrooms and kids in the bonus room... Marae style, all on mattresses.

Also hubby can go up there to play guitar and toy Thomas track can be left out etc stairs are between garage and kitchen, the grey area. They are stairs. If I have a cavity slider at the base of them, will move entry from garage down a bit.

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

The neighbour on left, the block with street sign where garage would go. So a sweeping drive me thinks.

Anyway, thank you for reading my ramblings

Block size

• Kate
    6 months ago

Hi kiwimills, what a move from the laid back bay of islands, I’m jealous, to Christchurch.
    I haven’t seen a staircase to your attic in the plans, which I love the look of the facade. What size attic do you want, is an attic ladder enough as you age?
    The lot is at an intersection so will have headlights at night so prob good to have a low use bedroom at front.

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Hi Kate,

Yeah... Going to be hard!

I was born there, but it's cold.

Job opportunity for hubby.

The stairs are grey, between garage and fridge.

Attic ladder won't cut it I'm afraid and I'm thinking about 6x6 including the slope.

No bathroom etc, just a room with a velux. More for storage, but can be used if needed

Here is a pic, click it to make it clearer.

6 months ago

i'm sorry to be disappointing but i don't think the upstairs will work unless the roof over the garage is raised much higher to allow for enough headroom at the top of the stairs and that would still only allow for a room very little stand up space and at least 8 sq m of space used for the stairs and the roof would also have to off centred and not like your English example which has the upstairs over the equivalent of your kitchen and family room and then the stairs need to arrive upstairs in the centre of the building and that creates all sorts of problems with downstairs so, unless you need a full second story, it seems a waste not to use the space available so much easier and cheaper at ground level on your generous block of land and your new plan is too cramped and needs more thought

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Bugger!

I really like those high pitched roofs. But you are right about stair placement.

I kind of just wanted to use some Attic trusses to get some extra occasional space. But might be better to build a 3 bed, and a flex room on the ground?

Those measurements were just random, your plan had better room sizes for bedrooms etc.

Thank you for re drawing it though! It does look tight ay. Do you want a room with that bed? ...

Mmmmm, what to design that gets winter sun but looks a bit qwerky

6 months ago

i'm working on another variation for you but with external wall thickness (brick veneer or ??) and the bonus space the house will be about 200sqm but should be more cost effective and keep in mind that my original plan was for a different block of land with the shape of that building fixed by the angle of that block and luckily you would have much more available space, a great view and excellent orientation but attempting to make the house comfortable for two or an occasional crowd there needs to be extra room space and hopefully savings can be made with a less expensive shape, simpler roof and careful choice of standard fixtures...and it's interesting that you like the English cottage style when New Zealand has so many exciting designers especially those using the black stained timber but our first house was modelled on a Swiss chalet with rooms underneath a steeply sloping roof and that now seems an odd choice for our old bush block but one reason we sold that house is that upstairs is a pain to live with if you don't have to

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

We immigrated to England when I was 12, prob has something to do with it!
    Those steep European roofs with shed dormers

It'll be brick and tile most likely and 200sq is fine.
    That's what I thought it would probably be with everything I want in
    An angled roof with metal sheet are dear here. Your hip or gable with tile...cheapest.

wood/steel/glass would be the ultimate.
    But alas...that will be my Queenstown Bach, lol

A sep powder room, then bath, shower , vanity is preferred. Rather than 3 way..as I would still want a basin in loo.
    Kate understands!!

But that depends on space and plan.
    But
    Thank you!!!
    Look forward to seeing it.

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

another variation for you with more exposure to the western views and a separate powder and bonus room

and i tried many ways to make an upstairs and best arrangement would be a narrow room along the east west ridge with a pull down loft stairs in the entry hall or add a full staircase and have more upstairs rooms to justify the extra cost

the east and west elevation shows a steeper roof to make upstairs space but ceiling height (shown by the horizontal line above the roof) shows that the room would be very narrow unless the roof was made much steeper and then the upstairs room becomes wider and how would you use the space?

and i think the garage need to be wider in either plan and a bigger setback on the northern side to be further away from the neighbours house would allow for a drive through access rather than 2m either side of the house

kiwimills thanked oklouise
  • kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

You are a genius!! You even have my grandmother's writing desk in master.

You have put everything I need in, thank you thank you thank you!!

You are so kind and generous with your time on here, you really are a superstar.

OK, so quick questions

Are these roof dormers in pink? Or optional shed dormers if wanted?

I am really leaning towards a loft room to get away from hubby, and extra bedroom if ever needed, also we will store Christmas, suitcases etc in eaves, so I will find the money for a loft.

Can we move the dining table to the blue splodge and have a wall across so that area can go towards loft and a bigger deck area off living and in turn a bigger living which would be of more benefit if we then have a loft room. As small as it is... Its a place for kids to play, hubby's guitars, my beanbag and second TV.

But otherwise, perfect

You have blocked the easterly wind which was my #1 requirement with moving back there.

Again... I am in awe.

I have always loved your work

And now I get to have an oklouise design!

I will let you know as soon as we hear if we have it

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

The table would be against window and pulled out when more than 2 of us, or build a banquet. I do like a table but tucked away is fine. If possible.

But seriously, thank you for trying to workout something that suits me and the block and yes, set back from North neighbour as much as poss.

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

i haven't shown any dormers the line is just to show the height of a standard ceiling but obviously dormers can add to the available space but if you want an upstairs you should make it big enough for a retreat and/or bunk room for the grandchildren so needs to be purpose built as the whole roof structure will be different but location of stairs should be ok and the blue splodge doesn't make enough space for a dining area and removing the bonus room only saves 7sqm but i'm now wondering if the kitchen could be better rotated east west instead of north south but please explain why you wanted the 2m setback on both sides of the house??

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

No, the rules are 2 met set back on 4 sides min.

Rules of the council. So the garage could be nearly on the footpath.

I'm happy for it to be anywhere!

OK, I have decided it will be just a storage type area, so we don't have to have 2.4 high ceilings all over.

I would like it within the pitch of the roof, I don't want dormers, just a velux or the window like you have done at the front.

Blow up mattresses if needed, one rocking chair up there and Thomas the tank always ready to be played. Will use a door at the top if possible, due to noise/ heating it when not needed.

Hope that makes sense. Just a small cosy room for yoga. ( yeah, right)

Kitchen... Anyway is fine.

Not a huge fan of sinks in island but have one now, but that's what may have to happen due to size.

So 7 sq is lost downstairs, but can go towards costs of Attic trusses!

• mummagabz
    6 months ago

Ahh Kiwi, you’re at it again! Is that your kitchen from your build on Homeone? It looks different! We are very fortunate to have OKL and SK here to help, Ive got a little bit of Houzz in my design too.

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oh gosh, so lucky!!

No this was a reno we moved to 2 yrs ago about 30 kms from the house we built.

Its now up for sale

Here's the link incase you want to buy a holiday home in nz!!

We renoed every room, there is a video under ' 3 beds' take a look.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/property/residential/sale/northland/whangarei/parahaki/listing/2830497534?bof=YaGMxg62

We are so lucky to have very talented people we can tap into to help us ay.

So blessed!

6 months ago

Looks like you might be a Huka Lodge type of gal, stunning property among others in NZ

https://www.hukalodge.co.nz/

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I am!

Although no tourists here at the moment

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

thinking about the house mostly being used by only two people and the cold winds from the east i'm wondering if it would be better to use the laundry as a mudroom with access to the garage and then outside to a clothesline and/or an indoor clothes line inside the garage, the pantry is no longer a walk through room but has easy access for bringing in groceries and to the kitchen that now has an empty island, i've added a screened porch to the front entry (great for summer bugs and security but also good for reducing cold draughts in my cold climate) and i've changed the entry to the master bedroom so that there's more outside view from the kitchen and the bedroom door is swung strangely to add extra privacy ...i tried swapping the ens and wiw but it would be a shame to lose the view from shower and toilet (window needs to be low enough to look out while seated!!) best location for outdoor terraces and some windows should be decided on site but the staircase and upstairs headroom needs to be confirmed before everything else as the whole house fits around that central core and even small changes to one room can ruin the whole plan but, hopefully there'll be enough room for the powder room and the desk in bed 2, upstairs should be big enough for a visiting crowd or potentially divided into two rooms and there should be some extra storage available in the roof spaces. the "secret" stairs are fully enclosed with the door downstairs to reduce draughts and extra doors zone areas to retain heating...the roof is all gables with a raked ceiling in the living areas but it may be cheaper to have hip roofs on the back section downstairs although upstairs and the bed 3 need gables for the style you like although you will have to take my word for how it looks as my poor old CAD program doesn't like the roof angles and will keep trying to make an image to share but have a basic floor plan for you

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

oh my gosh...AMAZZZZING!

thank you for spending your Friday and Saturday on me. I am so sorry.

I love it and It will work really well on that particular block with my particular family!!

THANK YOU

just 3 tweaks, (always a tweak ay)

I would like a bigger pantry and less laundry, happy to keep that large cupboard in the middle as it can be half for a broom, vacuum, and the other half shelves for linen, as there is a small linen by other bedrooms. Can I just pop a door on the laundry and take it off the pantry. It will mostly be open the pantry, till the kitchen shuts at 7

Also hubby likes a bedroom door OPEN during the day. Dont ask, so it will have to be back down the other end. So sorry, and also future grandkids dont need to be sitting at the table eating breakfast when nana gets up! lol

no one needs to see that.

I moved the photo shelf around to the other wall and the study nook can be the side board.

I love the loft, so cool and yes, will do gable roof

We probably dont need a screen porch, but will need a porch , due to heavy rain when it does rain there and freezing from the south. People can stand undercover. It doesn't have to be big. And maybe a semi glass front door to get east light in, but not sun due to roof/ porch. But I understand about the need for an airlock type thing, but daily we will just use the garage internal doors. Its only for kirby salesman so we should be ok. If it was the uk ...for sure.

I have attached my scribblings.

but you NAILED IT I feel.

thank you so much

and I will let you know if the owners decide to sell it.

If not this can go on another west facing backyard as that's the only orientation I want down there

again, thanks so much xxx

6 months ago

NZ has beautiful Lodges so I thought to follow that by building 2 long gabled sections. The main with garage and family kitchen dining and utility rooms in the wider section, with large windows and doors opening to West and north which all would have glass windows above.

the family /kitchen could have high ceiling with exposed beams, or the space above becomes the Loft getaway room which also has large windows looking out to the western view.. If you wanted to go with the high beamed ceiling you could reverse the stairs starting next to the kitchen and opening up above the garage.

Because the house is for you with family visiting , the master suite is in the second gabled section with views to the West and could also have exposed beams,Bedrooms 2 & 3 are behind this. The longish passage entrance has a view out towards the East when entering via the glass window with shaped window above. The family bath would have an opening Velux window for light and ventilation. My plan is a bit larger than you wanted but it could be adjusted to suite , I omitted to add a much needed fire place in the "Great Room" but that can be done as will the kitchen sink and cooktop cheers

kiwimills thanked siriuskey
  • kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you siri that is very kind of you to share your ideas. I think you are right, 2 long buildings is the way to go.

And no.. No fire, bar electric flame thing. Sick of chopping and stacking wood.

Reverse cycle air condioner this time and an HRV

If I am ever a widow I would do Airbnb with those 2 guests rooms so having the master toilet backing on to one of them, and passing people in the hall when they use their loo doesn't work as well as OKLouise's style.

I can also do a cavity slider to keep that whole area private ' once they go to bed' by the front door, which I liked. Even if family stay, that can be shut off, but I like your large living area and exposed beams and cathedral ceiling would be fab.

If there is a loft room like OK said the gable can continue into the family room.

So thank you.

That was so kind of you to offer some more ideas.

A mudroom /laundry combo is a good idea. Wash the dog!

Thank you

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

there's so many faults in these images and an awful colour scheme but this would give you an idea of the potential external appearance of my latest suggestions..the first image shows master bedroom to the right, living areas in the middle and small bedrooms and bathroom to the left with round window for the loft

kiwimills thanked oklouise
  • kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

You don't like a green stripe gable!?!

Yes, something like that, but north sliders off master as well.

But 3 very easy triangle roof lines.

Simple and clean.

And an East facing window in loft, you would see the lake, then pine trees, then Pacific ocean. ( if said pine trees fell down)

6 months ago

your draughts people may be able to make the roof better but my vintage program doesn't like this shape with the loft and the green stripe is the best i could do using wallpaper patterns and a roof window would be better on the east unless you want a dormer but something like this should work but have you seen my last plans with the new laundry mudroom?

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

OKLouise, can the bedroom roof, become the porch by bringing it low?

Saves 2 gable roofs?

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Yes, saw your plan... You see my reply and my 3 tweaks?

6 months ago

my CAD program is stretched to it's limits but a plainer front facade is so much better than any imitation English cottage look but this is the limit of my skill.. you now need a professional to create better images

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

But you are the best!!!

Thank you, perfect.

Very simple and to the point.

Love it.

You are a superstar, old CAD drawings and all.

Fab brick colour and wallpaper.

Lol

So the changes I want to make, that shouldn't affect the raked ceiling affect?

The reply was 10 hrs ago... I did a Kate, with the coloured crayons.

Doable?

Then your work here is complete if it is.

You may rest from your labour's for a time!

😘

6 months ago

please check the latest plans with the new laundry and pantry arrangement so i can make any last minute alterations before i retire

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I can only see this as the latest and I replied with these tweaks.

If there is another, I can't see it, sorry

But otherwise, good to go!

6 months ago

Sorry I must have missed Air B&B on your list., this is something like what I was working towards, hope you get your block of land cheers

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Gorgeous!! I love the volume. Very cool.

Nar.. Its something I thought about after seeing the way we could keep the minor bedrooms separate.

Not that there are any tourists!

But in the future if I'm alone.

It could be an income

And its semi private. They still have to use front door, but they can shut a cavity slider to be more private if using the bathroom/ bedrooms

But thank you for your good wishes.

And your ideas. They are always another alternative, thank u!!

😍

6 months ago

What you do when you can't sleep, this doesn't fit with your Air B&B but,

New roof, swapped stairs to fit with roof space etc. I will include a floorplan (from memory ) of our old Federation house where we added two bedrooms and a study in the existing attic. in the next post

6 months ago

Found it

kiwimills thanked siriuskey
    6 months ago

the living area and kitchen would have an aysymmetrical vaulted ceiling, the loft would have a symmetrical cathedral ceiling and if you like the laundry, ens etc could have a raked ceiling ..depends on the shape of the roof and how the ceiling is added inside and your budget as the raised ceilings are more expensive than flat but ask your builder about how scissor trusses would help with roof space for insulation and still allows extra headroom inside...but i have to disagree with the changed doors between pantry and laundry...my idea is to keep food separate from dirty clothes and to be able to walk from garage to kitchen through laundry/mudroom with the pantry kept like a separate cool store room but what are your coloured marks on the plans?

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

The coloured marks are the door separating the laundry from the rest of the Pantry, the moved door to master and the chair in master is blue.

Orange is the shelves with photos on ( pic above with buffet. 2 pieces we will take with us ) .

The green is the porch. Not screened, but with the roof over the porch.

Thanks for the explanation re roofs. Much appreciated.

I think it would be worth seeing the price difference.

The builder who built our last house, will do it, as he too is moving to chch

Yay.

We have some offers on our house, they are presenting them wed.

Been on market 12 days.

eek

Re Pantry, it will never be closed, so won't need a door, but laundry will be closed, to prevent car fumes incase garage door isn't shut.

And also East wind through garage into laundry, can help if the doors are up.

But thank you

Don't retire!!

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

If you look at my reply just under your post with the updated plan in, I explain my scribblings there. You may have missed it... There have been a few posts!

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

ok found it. and here's the altered plans and an unfurnished copy for your draughtspeople

kiwimills thanked oklouise
  • kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

THANK YOU!!!!

Yes, will hand to architect who the builder will use down there.

Get it just right on the block, the sun, the wind, the view!!

Fabulous.

Lovvvvvvve it.

😘

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Just leaving these here. Some porch ideas so I can find them !

6 months ago

your photos look just like German bungalows with the attic rooms and solid rendered walls

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Yeah, they were German ones. Ha ha

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Just a quick update...

The guy never got back to me after I offered ( rude!)

So the night we got an offer on our house... 2 weeks on market, I emailed 7 House building companies asking if they had homes being completed soon, but not yet on the market.

The next morning one rang me at 8.30 and said we have one, a family just pulled out, foundation's have been consented, u can tweak inside a little, move kitchen, add bi folds etc choose colours.. Want to look?

Yes if it's west facing backyard... It was but the plan was facing south with the living areas.. Asked if I could flip it.. Yes.. SEND IT OVER

501k Inc patio, drive and path.

So we have paid a 3k holding deposit.

Just going over plan with my tweaks, and my upgrade costs like ducted heating etc.. Eeek

But at least we found one, as all blocks have now been sold in the estate

Thank you for all your help.

This new plan is only 150sq over brick.

But the things we discussed above.. I got!!

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Bar the loft, but I got a lounge and a sep snug area. Which will work ok for us.

No kids will be living with us.. I hope, so TV in lounge, living/family /dining sep chill space, small TV if needed

• Kate
    5 months ago

Congrats. I hope it all goes smoothly and you are soon enjoying your new space.

• mummagabz
    5 months ago

So exciting Kiwi!!!

• kiwimills
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you Kate and mumma, me too!

I don't know about oz, but property here has gone nuts since end Sept.

Houses list.. Offers on them the same day it seems.