Houzz Logo Print
g_french1

Upstairs floor plan - house extension

G28
3 years ago

Hello,

We're planning an extension, and have been through numerous iterations. The upper storey floorplan still troubles me a bit - there is a fair bit of space but I wonder whether it could be used more effectively to avoid long narrow rooms? The rooms will be used by our two kids, and this will be the only bathroom with a bath in the house. Having a separate toilet isn't important to us. We can't change the external walls (this is as far as we can push it due to restrictive planning rules) or staircase. Internal walls could be moved at this point (but a/c ducts will need to be allowed for somewhere).

I don't want to burn any more of our architect's time on this, so would appreciate any feedback on whether there might be alternative layouts that would use the space more effectively.

In terms of orientation, the staircase is on the east, bathroom south-east corner. Any windows on the southern wall need to be highlight or obscured. We're keen to avoid either of the bedrooms only having western windows - hence the current 'study nook' in one bed, to allow for a southern window.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)