Houzz Logo Print
susan_clark2415

How to fix new bathrooms with horrible colour schemes

Susan Clark
3 years ago

Hubby and I are finishing a new build in which there are 3 bathrooms. We couldn’t agree on tiling schemes and - in predictable fashion - compromise has resulted in us despising the colour schemes of 2 and barely tolerating the third (our ensuite).

I like a glossy white mixed with a darker feature wall and vanity. Hubby has an aversion to white tiles (despite not being the person who clean them). All bathrooms are tiled to the ceiling.

Our bathroom is a long narrow room tiled in grey on all 4 walls and the floor. With only a small window at one end it strongly resembles a cave. A large format white tile along one long wall would make a huge difference to the overall look And light level.

The family bathroom is an orange tinged terrazzo style gloss tile on all 4 walls with a dark grey on the floor. Looks disgusting.

The final bathroom somehow ended up with a matte finish tile that looks slightly off white with a peachy smear through it. Looks cheap and nasty. We have to accept that we accidentally signed off on this monstrosity.

If course money is tight right now... but really, either those bathroom tiles go or I do.

The only options I know of are as follows and I’d appreciate any experienced people have had with these. AND advice of other options I am not aware of.

1. Paint over tiles - I believe non-shower walls are a reasonable option for this, so perhaps ok for painting one of the long walls in our ensuite a gloss white.

2. Remove the existing tiles and start again - with the removal cost apparently more expensive than the re-tiling cost?

3. Tile over the existing tiles, removing and then putting back shower screen and taps, electrical switches, basin/vanity and towel rails etc. but not the toilet. This will eat up architrave space around the window and door, but I think I can live with that in the third bathroom. We would leave all the floor tiles in place.

Would love to hear of your experiences and ideas.

thanks

Susan

Comments (19)