Houzz Logo Print
fiona_burns46

Extension to little old beach shack

Fi
2 years ago

Hi any suggestions or advice appreciated. We have outgrown our small 2 bedroom house and need to extend- or if it is unworkable we would look at knockdown, rebuild.

We love the feel of the house- timber floors, back deck, open to the north east. The house has a hardwood frame and it sits on brick piers that are in good condition.

The roof and majority of walls contain asbestos and the bathroom floor is water damaged, and will have to be replaced. The bathroom plumbing blocks regularly from tree roots, so the whole bathroom could probably move given the amount of work that is needed. All the windows will need to be replaced so can also be repositioned.

We love the kitchen looking out to the backyard, close to the back deck, so with an extension the kitchen would need to move.

On the current plans we would demolish the laundry, back deck and toilet and carport.

I am thinking we could use the 2 existing bedrooms for a guest bedroom with ensuite and possible kitchenette with separate entry via the existing front deck, but still connected to the house.

We would put a new single carport beside the proposed guest room and a new 2 car carport in front of the guest room deck.

The other part of the existing house I am thinking of Entry/ Bedroom 1/ ensuite /WIR and some lounge space to join up with the new lounge space in the extension.

If we could connect the old and new that would be best for the living spaces, but I don't know if this feasible, I need to get some professional advice re the whole project.

Otherwise it would be a separate pod with a link, aiming to keep it all one level.

The block has 5% slope back to front, there are a few steps at the front of the house, so by the time we get to the end of the current back deck there is just one step to ground level. We would have to do some site works, and retaining wall to keep it all one level.

Any thoughts? The extension seems very big, essentially another house and we would like to retain as much back yard as possible, so any advice on the scale, layout would be amazing.

I have attached photos of the floor plan and elevations from when the house was extended in 1976, the kitchen and bathroom have slightly different layout now, and there is now a deck at the front (of bed2) with the front stairs running the opposite way onto the deck.

The block is 18 x 36m, I'm pretty sure we have to have a 6 m setback, but we can have carport in that space

Comments (10)