Houzz Logo Print
dizemramadan

What do you think of my ensuite plan?

Di Njsd
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We live in a 1970s 3x1 house in Canberra. I was previously thinking to combine the bathroom and laundry to make one large bathroom. However I got a new idea today about a way we can add an ensuite as a second bathroom - see the plan attached.

I was thinking to close of the part of the hallway in front of the WC (shown in red) and move the bedroom door here. I'd close off the current laundry doorway, get rid of the WC altogether and also get rid of the walls between the laundry, bathroom and WC. This would be rijigged to turn the laundry into a bathroom (washer and dryer stacked in cavity) and the current bathroom and WC into an ensuite and WIR space attached to the third bedroom (making it the main bedroom). I'd steal a small amount of width from the current bathroom to make both bathrooms approximately the same size. I'd also put in sliders to open to the back patio. The issue with this option is that it may be quite expensive. Not sure where I'd put the bathtub as I'm not really a bath person so would be happy to have this in the family bathroom but not sure if others would accept an ensuite without one. I'd want to have toilets in both bathrooms.

What are your thoughts on this? Also I presume it's fine to lose a WC to gain a full ensuite? Is it weird to have a bathroom/laundry with rear access? Anything else I'm missing? Should I just stick to the original idea of combining the bathroom and laundry?

Comments (34)