Houzz Logo Print
webuser_807554711

Buying an old terrace. Re-do cost.

HL W
last year

Hi,

I have been looking to buy a 3+ bedrooms property in sydney inner west and haven't had much luck. One option has been suggested to me is to buy an old terrace and re-do it, which will probably cost around the same as buying a ready-to-move-in one. I have no idea on how re-doing/renovating/rebuilding is done, what the process is, and most importantly the cost of re-doing a terrace. I am hoping someone here could give me some idea on the cost so I can factor that in when buying an old terrace, whether I can afford it basically.

Based on the below information, if I can get an idea of the current cost (I understand it has increased this year) for the whole project, that would be great.

Current state:

- Land size around 160sqm

- Original full brick 1 level terrace with 1 room and a rear undercover garage

- And also an extension room at the back, but it really looks like a make-shift shed.

What I need:

- 3 bedrooms, 1 to 2 bathrooms/toilets, a garage. Extend upwards if needed (Terraces next door are 2 storeys so I assume it can be extended upwards)

- Currently there is a chimney/open fireplace which will have to be removed, would this be a large job?

- There are also some wall vents in bedrooms and lounge (not sure how you call those, but basically small holes on the top of some of the walls). Would it be a large job to remove those?

Appreciate if anyone can advise. Thank you!

Comments (2)