Houzz Logo Print
webuser_614473131

Is it possible to replace a kitchen/bathroom extension for $100K?

Hannah Forest
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi,

My partner and I just bought our first home for $800K in Brunswick in Melbourne - we only have a budget of $100K to do necessary renovations and just wondering if it is possible.

It is a small 2-bedroom 1800s brick place (about a 70m2 house on a 135m2 block) with a bad-quality 1960s extension out the back containing the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. The extension is really damp and horrible.

Does anyone know if it is possible for us to demolish and replace the extension for $100K or under? One builder who we don't really trust said yes, another said no way. We are open to really cheap solutions, eg having yellow-tongue floors instead of hardwood, painted brick walls instead of plastering, and my partner doing some of the labour himself.

The current floor plan is the top image - we want to demolish and replace the kitchen, bathroom and laundry keeping roughly the same footprint. The vague reno plan is the bottom image - a rough total of 44m2 would be renovated (everything but the bedrooms and hallway).

How can we do it for $100K or under? Can anyone recommend any budget-friendly builders that we could check out who actually publish the total cost of the projects they have worked on?

Comments (4)