Houzz Logo Print
webuser_76086099925

Putting artificial turf over a drainage pit. yes or no?

B D
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

As artificial grass drains really well through the holes in the rubber can I legally install it over a drainage pit? I had Australian Outdoor Living come and re lay some artificial grass as I had to remove it to put in 2 storm water pits. When they initially did the job I ask if I needed any draining put in and they said no, but whenever it rained my back yard turned into a lake. So I had two pits put in then they came back and redid the base so the water would flow towards the pits under the grass. I wasnt there when they put the artificial turf back down but they cut holes in the grass where the pits are and now in the middle of my back yard I have two 30cm grates visible, and it look bloody terrible. They said by law they couldnt cover the pits. I have talked to a plumber and he said they hadn't heard of that requirement for artificial turf but, real grass or something solid yes as its stopped the drainage. Artificial grass wouldn't effect the flow of water into the pit should it have been fine?? Its also a safty issue for my dog who can easily get his paw stuck in the grate and damage his leg if he is running around with the kids.

Can someone please clarify? Im in Victoria.

Kind of stuck with it now unless I prove to them they did the wrong thing and can talk them in to replacing the grass. Any ideas on what I can do to make it look better? I was thinking getting a new solid 30cm x 3mm plate with a bunch of holes put in it and then taking a spare bit of grass to bunnings and getting them to paint match it.....all I can think of really.

Comments (2)