How Do I...
Popular Houzz Series
How Do I... Choose a Coffee Machine?
Start the day right with a steaming hot brew – if you're in the market for a new coffee machine, here's what to look for
Georgia Madden 3 August 2018
Senior writer, Houzz Australia
In this practical series, we ask experts to answer your burning home and design questions. Here, Tania Grillinzoni, portable appliance buyer at The Good Guys, and Ally Cupillari, senior category manager at De’Longhi Australia, share some essential tips for navigating your way through the maze of coffee machine styles on the market.
There are four main types of coffee machines – fully automatic, manual, capsule and built-in.
- Fully automatic: These machines are a great choice if you want barista-quality coffee with no mess or fuss. They’ll do everything from grind the beans to make your coffee just the way you like it, all at the touch of a button. You can manually personalise your coffee selection, or let the machine do it all for you.
- Manual: Fancy yourself as something of a barista? These machines give you full control over the coffee-making process, allowing you to personalise each cup. If you like milk in your coffee, seek out a style with a manual steam wand.
- Capsule: These styles are all about convenience. The coffee experience comes packaged and sealed in a capsule, and there are myriad flavours to choose from. No mess or fuss, and recyclable capsules and pods are now available.
- Built-in: These models are integrated into your kitchen for a seamless look. You can personalise your brew and have it delivered at the touch of a button, or let the machine do it all for you.
Ask yourself, what coffee experience are you looking for?
- If you prefer a hands-on approach and want to create a coffee just the way you like it, a manual machine is a smart choice.
- Want a cafe-quality coffee but without the time or hassle? Or perhaps you entertain regularly and need to make multiple cups at a time? Consider a fully-automatic machine with one-touch operation.
- If convenience is key or if you simply like the idea of sampling different coffee flavours as the mood strikes, opt for a capsule machine.
What you should expect to pay
At The Good Guys, prices range from:
At The Good Guys, prices range from:
- Automatic: Between $499 and $1,999.
- Manual: Between $159 and $2,999.
- Capsule: Between $59 and $699.
- Built-in: Between $1,550 and $4,690.
Signs of quality to look for
- A brand that’s recognised for its heritage and expertise in producing coffee machines.
- Brewing units that dose only the required amount of coffee for every cup, so there’s no waste and minimal mess.
- A heating system that delivers a precise water temperature for the espresso brew.
- A quality milk-texturing system.
- In machines that incorporate a bean grinder, look for adjustable stainless steel conical burrs that will deliver a consistent grind every time.
- In an automatic machine, a style with self-cleaning functionality is a boon.
Decorating Ideas 10 Ideas for Hanging, Trailing and Cascading Indoor Plants
By Kate Burt
No need to get into the garden to exercise those green fingers – create a dramatic display of foliage indoorsFull Story
Popular Houzz Series Picture Perfect: 40 Statement Windows From Around the World
Our coffee-break escape offers you five minutes' worth of images to inspire and delight. Jump right in...Full Story
Renovating Advice Room by Room: How Much Do Renovations Really Cost?
Hint: it's usually more than you think. Houzz debunks common myths and reveals the true cost of renovating, room by roomFull Story
Building Components Fire Away: 6 Ways Fireplaces Can Wow With Wallpaper
See how beautifully patterned paper around a fireplace can make it the focal point of the roomFull Story
Kitchen Expert Advice How Do I... Know if My Hot-Water System is About to Fail?
Be smart to the signs that your hot-water system is in trouble and say goodbye to unexpected (and unwanted) cold showersFull Story
Garden FAQs How Do I... Care for My Garden in the Colder Months?
Put the effort in over winter and give your garden the best chance to flourish come spring – an expert reveals howFull Story
Pets In the Doghouse: How to Create a Cosy Space for Your Dog
By Becky Harris
See how people are making special spaces for their beloved pups with cosy built-in cratesFull Story
Decorating Ideas Artful Impact: How Bold Images and Surfaces Invigorate a Home
Bright painted walls aren't the only way to make a statement, as these 12 homes with eye-catching graphic images showFull Story