sharon_sann

Making Tas oak wood trim lighter?

Sharon Sann
April 15, 2015
We have a 1920s home with lots of Tasmanian oak wood trim. I love the look of natural wood color but our trim is darker than my taste. Is there a straightforward way to lighten it? Something to clean the stain off? Would it be likely to work given the age of the wood?
Thanks!

• Colleen Obm
    We had dark jarrah boards that sucked in the light in a 'new' house. Sanded them back, bleached them. Now they are much lighter and warmer too.
  • chookchook2

Put in Solartubes. The light coming in will lighten and brighten the room.

Feast Watson

Hi Sharon,

As colleenobm said you will have to sand the timber back back to remove the stain, the age of the timber shouldn't be an issue. You could then use a water based clear varnish such as Cabot's Cabothane Water Based (an oil based clear varnish will warm to honey tones over time so in this case we would recommend a water based finish). If you wanted a finish lighter than the natural timber colour you could use Feast Watson Stain & Varnish Liming White. This finish gives a soft milky white effect while still allowing the timber grain to show through.

We hope this helps.

Feast Watson

• chookchook2

Are you really Feast Watson? This is so exciting! It's like meeting the real Colonel from KFC!

• chookchook2

What's the secret recipe?

Feast Watson

It is really Feast Watson! We are guessing that you are really not a chook though . . .

• chookchook2

You must have a real handle though? What about John Percy?

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consumer/about/feast-watson-heritage/

• Luke Buckle

Imagine meeting the actual Colonel. He would be buckets of fun to hang out with.

Regarding names, businesses can put a personal name or they can choose to keep their professional name too. (This helps if they have multiple people managing their account)

• chookchook2

Or they can put "such and such for Blah blah inc " on their post. Helps to put a human face to the advice. Love Feast Watson and have used their lime/milk wash extensively, so I am star struck!

• chookchook2

Lol, Luke, just got it!

Feast Watson

Luke is right, we do have more than one person from Feast Watson on Houzz. However, my name is Sarah and I am really pleased you love our liming white. I do too!

• chookchook2

I have alot of furniture done in it, and my all time favourite pic on Houzz the whole room is lime washed, to give a beachy look. Nice to meet you, Sarah!

Feast Watson

Nice to meet you as well. I would like to see that pic! I've done a bed and a table using the Stain & Varnish Liming White. They came up a treat.

• chookchook2

I like it because it stops the wood yellowing, gives you a natural wood look without darkening the room.

• chookchook2

Contemporary Family Room · More Info