Houzz Logo Print
dtsbuilders

Hello 2016 Kitchen! Is a white kitchen dead?

8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Bringing this kitchen up to 2016!

Part of a complete makeover - We took this dated 90s and space killing kitchen and turned it into a modern joy (at least we think so!)

White on white doesn't have to be boring. With the addition of some colourful accessories and appliances to keep on trend, this modern kitchen will become a timeless classic A reconfiguration of the kitchen not only created one beautiful kitchen but also made a more functional living space

The light porcelain tiles also generates a sense of spaciousness to the otherwise tight area. We're loving the additional side tabe opposite the oven, perfect for additional storage and having appliances on the bench without being too visible in the living room.

What do Houzzers think? Has the white kitchen had it's day or do you think that with some coulourfull accent pieces, you are on to a winner. We would love to hear what you think.

• 8 years ago

What a difference!! I think all white is classic and can easily be updated with statement pieces and decor to suit as trends change. Great job.

• Related Discussions

TELL US: What are your kitchen renovation plans for 2016?

Q

EVERYTHING! This is the old kitchen in the even older house we have started to renovateStrip everything out, wash nicotine from walls & ceiling and paint (colour undecided), replace cupboards with lime washed or antique white timber, stainless steel bench top that incorporates gas rings and sink on left side (no wall cupboards on that side), Dresser style cupboards on right hand side, maybe an island bench, knock window into french doors to bring in more light, Marmoleum on the floor (probably red).....once the builder has opened up the room by knocking out the walls framing the picture!
    ...See More

What type of splashback for white and black shaker style kitchen?

Q

We are doing a new kitchen with antique white shaker cupboards & drawers and I'm thinking a painted, pressed metal splashback behind a free standing 90cm heritage style electric cooker and the subway tiles elsewhere. We are doing an oiled natural shaped huon pine slab for the main benchtop.
    ...See More

Is the kitchen sink draining board dead?

Q

Ha, mtvbishop, I know what you mean re decisions! I was originally looking at Oliveri Sonetto but also read the bad reviews. So I have ended up going for Tech200 with removable drainer. Just received via Toll Transport today from Melbourne - yet to be installed but looks good! I also bought the drainer which has rubber feet underneath and is designed to either sit next to and slope into one of the double bowls or on top of one of the bowls. Viv from The Sink Warehouse, with apparently 40 years’ experience in the sink business told me the product is good. I searched EVERYWHERE for what I wanted and finally found it. Hope it’s a better sink that the Oliveri option. Even in these COVID times the goods arrived in less than a week from Dandenong to Adelaide.
    ...See More

Help with my kitchen please.

Q

That is a dream bench top. exactly what I had and what I would do again. Once your kitchen is finished it is going to look great. Your original vision and gut feeling for what you wanted was right. You just need to see the bigger picture when it's in the middle of the build. The overhand is perfect. Too small and there would be nowhere to put your knees. Cant wait to see the finished room. Also dont fret. Once decorated with pots pans, coffee machine etc.. you'll be in total love with it.
    ...See More
    8 years ago

Thanks Gloenne and Danielle, we think the white is always in and easily updated with statement pieces as well. However, Danielle, completely understand your comment regarding white and dirt - not always friendly towards a household of kids or animals. We find that a darker tile works best on the floor and if it's a gloss kitchen, spills and dirt are easy to wipe off. Thanks for your comments!

• 8 years ago
    Could you please tell me the colours you used for the benchtops, splash back, and cupboards. It's hard to get all the whites right but you've nailed it with this kitchen.
    dts builders thanked ysteb1
    8 years ago

Hi Ysteb1, I tried to message you, however, no message button! The details are as follows: White laminate doors, Osprey Ceasarstone bench tops and white porcelain tiles for splashback. Hope that helps and thank you for your comment.

• 8 years ago

Like to add some constructive criticism, but don't want to sound like a meanie....would it be valuable?

• 8 years ago

Add some plants too as the all white can be stark, a bit of timber, black or coloured bar stools along with accessories will make a huge difference & add the personality it currently needs. Good job so far!

8 years ago

White kitchens aren't dead. . . They might be at the back of the style roundabout but will come back to the front sooner or later

8 years ago

White kitchens are always fresh, classic and timeless. Caesarstone Osprey has been around for years but is still a great colour - you can't make a bad choice with it!

8 years ago

Louie T - Personality is definitely needed with the kitchen - Let's call it a blank canvas for now, once the owners get in, I'm sure it will come to life.

anewarehouse.com.au & Stone Obsessions. As builders, we're with you, always timeless, always fresh. However, it is interesting to see when trends in colour come in and how clients react to 'white kitchens' during that time. It certainly is nice to have some colour included in the kitchen, but I think as with everything when it comes to your home, personal preference is key and in the end you as the owner have to live with it.

midesign0401 - Always open to constructive criticism. The white kitchen is definitely not to everyone's taste. What would you do differently?

8 years ago

I don't think the classic white will ever be out- but I do think adding modern twists like pops of colour, indoor plants and art- is defiantly on the rise.

• 8 years ago

Love the white on white.. we're building a mostly light kitchen, we'll have timber laminate flooring and our island will have waterfall edges as well as a glass splashback, but other than that, our cupboards will be silk white and benchtop a light stone.

8 years ago
    An all white kitchen will always be timeless if decorated well and in keeping with the times. It is also a very safe option though, it is possible to take risks and still achieve a timeless look, unfortunately you won't know if you've achieved this until 10-20 years later!
  • 8 years ago

I love the blank canvas of a white kitchen...add your own style with accessories...and even better change the look often without a big expense ! Could you please add the dimensions of the kitchen, thank you. It looks to be a lovely spacious area, and will be enjoyed by gatherings of family and friends :)

• 8 years ago
    I like white in the kitchen but not everything - even just having a darker colour for living side of island bench would make it zing be practical for feet and delineate kitchen from living
  • 8 years ago

Love it!

• 8 years ago

Looks great, white will never date but a pity you can't get rid of that ugly black security grill on the window.

• 8 years ago
    I love a white kitchen. It's timeless. Am about to renovate and am stumped at to what's the latest look for splash backs. I currently have glass and wondering what look is happening now! Sally
  • 8 years ago

White kitchens are definitely not dead... There is something so elegant and appealing about a white kitchen - they are timeless! :)

• 8 years ago

Yes white kitchens are classic, it's just the all white concept that I personally find too clinical. In this case it may be the lighting and clear benches waiting for some items to provide the contrasting accents, stools or a stunning back splash that would bring it to life and reflect the owner's personality. It is certainly looks to be a big improvement on its replacement and much more functional. Well done.

dts builders thanked Carole
    8 years ago

Hi Makees,

Thank you for your kind comments. The Kitchen dimensions were approx. 5.8m x 3m plus island. It almost doubled in size and certainly an improvement.

8 years ago

Hi Sally (home7886), One trend we are seeing a lot of is the stone tops transferring to the splashback - it creates a seamless look and to be honest a lot less joints that can get dirty easily. Perhaps, some of the kitchen professionals or interior designers can also give you an idea of what they are installing at the moment.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

have lived in an all white kitchen at my daughters place. The floor 'all white' was a nightmare, you notice any bit of dirt, grass, spills etc etc...but if you are prepared to clean it over and over like we did...go for it :)

• 8 years ago

I like the makeover. The old kitchen design is old thinking. Apply what we know now☺☺☺

• 8 years ago

i love what has been done and with some easily removable accessories it will look even more homey and a little 'show' home which i love. cant wait to do my kitchen. i will be moving plumbing which is daunting as my husband looks at the cost of things for here and now and says it will be too expensive - we haven't even priced anything yet. but this kitchen will be my colour inspo!

• 7 years ago
    I used a splash of yellow to break up our white kitchen.
  • 7 years ago
    Well done Mandy with your yellow...someone posted whether they could add constructive criticism ..I thought that was why we had discussions ..as long as not mean or personal, we are not meant to all like the same style or life would be very boring.
  • 7 years ago

A great makeover. Can't go wrong with white on white. I agree, some timber accents will add some warmth and texture.

7 years ago

The white kitchen is still very much in, but with a splash of colour somewhere in the kitchen. Even if it is a red kettle and toaster. All white can be cold, depending on the white chosen, but love the design and use of the space!

dts builders thanked Love Coming Home
    7 years ago

We look the look of white kitchens! Here we have styled it with neutral furniture and pops of Azure to keep to the Hamptons theme.

Bedford Street, Willoughby · More Info

• 7 years ago
    Love a white kitchen! We've had one for 8 years now and still love it! We did add colour with the splashback and have floorbaords.
  • 7 years ago
    Love my new white kitchen! I've gone for classic blue accessories but perhaps down the track if I tire of that I can change the accessories and give the kitchen a new feel.
  • 7 years ago
    Wincymeow, your kitchen is lovely, may I ask what is your sink, colour and material please. It looks fabulous
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks Wuff! The sink is a stainless steel apron front/ farmhouse one. I'm really happy with it. I have an ideas page of before and after shots that might give a better view of the sink.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for getting back wincymeow, I will check it out :)
  • 7 years ago
    wincymeow, I checked out your before and after photos and also love the sink, good choice. Is that a grey or blue colour on the wall above? One more question, totally irrelevant to the above story. Who is the artist of the seagulls?
  • 7 years ago
    Hi Jodie 122. Thanks for the comment! The colour on the wall is a half strength periwinkle from porters paints. It shows as quite a bit darker in the photo than in real life. You have me wondering about the seagulls. The ones on the kitchen wall are quite old and are my nod to my grandmother who loved her flying ducks
  • 7 years ago
    okkkkk so only part of my post is showing. I know the seagulls are very kitchen but I live by the sea and I love them. The other seagulls are the ones in my wincymeow photo and also hang in that room and they're painted by me!!
  • 7 years ago
    kitch! !!! Damn autocorrect
    7 years ago

You have certainly done a fantastic makeover!

White kitchens are definitely still in as they offer so much flexibility in terms of accessories, lighting, furniture, artworks and general quirky features. There are infinite ways to bring life to a stylish white 'base' which also has the benefit of being easily modified to create a different design depending on one's envy!

• 7 years ago
    Wincymeow, you're very talented. It was actually the profile picture I was asking about. That painting is lovely. I love everything about it.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks Jodie 122, that's very kind of you
  • 7 years ago

@dts builders,

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I plan an all white kitchen too and one word comes to mind with your kitchen, ELEGANT

7 years ago

No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work for me at all. That unrelieved expanse of shiny white is quite disorienting. You don't quite know where the light is coming from. But the colour isn't the main problem here.

Although it isn't pretty, the "before" kitchen actually has a lot going for it. The new kitchen has the benches all at the same height, which is a problem because different kitchen tasks are most comfortable at different heights. The surface that houses your sink needs to be relatively high so that when you're using the sink you don't have to bend your back. That's uncomfortable! Conversely, a cutting surface is better if it's relatively low, because that way you can control the knife better. It's a safety thing.

The new kitchen has the cooktop and the sink under wall-mounted cupboards. You're absolutely sure the extractor fan whisks all the steam and particulates out of there? Most don't, you know. And with the cupboards at that height, if you're standing close enough to cook or wash up can you see to the back of the bench? No, it's not you, it's the design. Look at the old kitchen. It has surfaces at a variety of heights, and although the sink is under a cupboard you can stir the sauce on the stove without bumping your head, I think.

I could be totally wrong about this. The featured kitchen might be a joy to work in. I do think, though, that this does not look like a kitchen designed by a cook.

• 5 years ago

I agree that it was not designed by someone who cooks. It has all the "stuff" but a user might find it lacks efficiency to do the intended "job" of the room. Color aside, the cooktop, stove, sink and refrigerator are really far apart. There is no surface near the wall oven to place hot pans and cooking trays. It's a long walk with a hot roast, heavy turkey or smoking sheet of burned cookies before you can put it down, and let it rest before putting it on a serving platter or carving. In the case of burned cookies, a long way to the sink! Wonder if the vent hood is deep enough exhaust steam and residue from the front burners.

There is a nice stretch of space for prep next to the cook top which the previous kitchen seemed to lack. I'm thinking staging for a stir-fry, or your meez, so that is a good thing. Better to be able to prep near the cook top without having to prep all the bits on an island and then move them again before you cook. You can, say, chop the onion first and be softening it in the pan as you prep the rest of the ingredients while you monitor the heat.