Houzz Logo Print
1010daman

Is having a prep sink on the island a good idea?

1010daman
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am designing my kitchen and am thinking of having a small sink about 40cm wide on the island. It will be on the side nearer to the sliding doors to the deck, away from the busier areas and the main sink.

My current design has the main sink on the island but I want to move it to the side, somewhere where the current fridge and ovens are. The oven will be moved to where the cooktop is to free up space for the sink.

I don't like a sink on an island in general because I don't like seeing dish drainers, scrubbers etc on the benchtop on an island. However, I thought a small prep sink maybe useful especially with kids around as they can use this and stay out of the way from the main sink. And if there we are entertaining, we can use the sink for preparing food.

I am however wondering do I need another sink because I also have a sink in the butler's pantry. Having a prep sink will mean I have 3 sinks, which may be a bit much.

My island is 3m X 1.2m, so space is not an issue especially if I am not putting the sink in the middle. There will be lots of benchtop space

I am thinking of having a mirror splash back where the fridge and main sink will be as it will reflect the garden through the sliding doors. Good idea?

Comments (29)