Houzz Logo Print
adaena_tray

Tiny Master Bedroom Decor Is Stumping Me

Daena
7 years ago

I'm usually confident in my design decisions, but my very small "master" bedroom has been throwing me for a loop. I'm going for a sort of vintage / natural / botanical / cottage vibe. Something like this, this or this. The house was built in 1909 and features this really cool beadboard alcove. It would be the PERFECT spot in which to tuck our bed. Alas, our house is tiny and we need to access the closets several time a day that are inside the alcove. The way the bed is positioned now is really the only place it can be. I tried it in other places and either door couldn't shut or there was not enough walk space.

Yesterday, I found a third botanical print at a flea market and hung it above my bed because I'm a big fan of odd numbers in decorating. But now I find that this space, especially the bedding area, looks too matchy matchy with all the flowers. We just bought the duvet and pillows, but I can transfer them to another room. Should I do a white coverlet with a grey and white striped duvet?

I like mixing patterns and textures (probably textures more so). I think my nightstand is too short too. I recently took down our white balloon curtains because they struck me as frou frou and were blocking a lot of light. I'm interested in introducing more wood to the room, getting a rug and, if need be, painting the dressers. I feel really locked into the green color scheme and would love to add a second color in small doses - light blue? yellow?

I'm open to ideas for improving this space, but again the furniture arrangement has to remain, awkward though it may be. Tiny house problems! Also, the walls aren't as warm or as strikingly green as they seem in these photos.

Comments (11)