Houzz Logo Print
isabella_lesslie

Where to start?

I Lesslie
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Built in the 70s, never been renovated. We are complete newbies and wondering where to start with renovations/possible extension to add a fourth bedroom. Any kind souls got ideas?

Comments (32)

• I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! We don't need it urgently, but we thought if we are going to do major renovations then we should look at extending at the same time? The fourth bedroom would be to add value to the house, and be an office space. My partner and I have two young kids and both work from home, which can be tricky. These photos are from when we bought it, two years ago, and we have completely re-done the garden and taken down the lace curtains. That's it! We spend a lot of time at home, and we just want to be comfortable. It is a very dark house, and the cedar-lined ceilings feel a little claustrophobic.

• Related Discussions

Where to Start Your Search for a Good Builder

Q

Comments (2)
    Good advice, but it is also important to match the builder to the size of the job, and choose one that is experienced in the type of work you need. Don't choose a builder who builds new homes to do your extension, as the skill sets are quite different when working with an existing building. Don't choose a builder who only works in the $800,000+ extension area to work on your $150,000 renovation. If you are living in your home during the renovation choose your builder like you would choose a flatmate, and one that will respect your family's privacy. I had one client whose young daughter learnt some colourful language from their builders while they were working on their extension! Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls
    ...See More

Where to start?!

Q

Comments (13)
    Congratulations on your new home - it has so much character and interest compared with the greige boxes that are built today. You may be lucky and find treasure under your carpet like Tasmanian oak floorboards that just need a clean and polish. I would also be looking at some uplighting to make the most of that gorgeous feature ceiling. I think a light timber floor may seem too contrasting and contemporary. I would consider an engineered cork floor tile like I used for this client's new kitchen that was installed in a home of similar vintage, and looks right at home. If you need any more advice please feel free to contact me directly as I understand the style and character of your home (many other design professionals just don't get it). Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls.
    ...See More

Where to start? Redesign & restructure - 2 bedrooms into 1

Q

Comments (7)
    to remove the whole wall and consider custom storage there are expensive demolition, structural support and rebuilding issues (think $20,000?) that won't add extra space, just rearrange what's already there..whatever the long term decision the unsuitable wardrobes will need to be removed so you could try my suggestion, live with that and then consider more drastic changes that would be equally expensive to restore..an interior or building designer or a draughtsperson can draw up different ideas and a builder or carpenter can do the work but you need to be clear about your budget as a simple job can spiral out of control before you begin redecorating..the key word i considered is "reconversion' and i think you'll achieve a much more cost effective solution by not removing any structural walls ..the computer program i use is called 3D Home Architect Version 4 and is the best simple program i've ever used but it's many years old and not readily available any more but there have been several recent HOUZZ enquiries with answers about other CAD programs that might suggest alternatives..but, for such a simple proposal, nothing better than precise measurements of the existing spaces, graph paper, ruler and pencil and a clear understanding of what's already there (eg are the wardrobes added to the wall or part of the wall, do they reach the ceiling and are they raised off the floor and what style of doors do they have??) some photos could help inspire more suggestions from other HOUZZERS
    ...See More

New kitchen, need to remove walls. Need design idea. Where to start?

Q

Comments (1)
    Sketch the room with measurements and post here. Pics are good also. You’ll get some great ideas.
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

what a gorgeous house, reminiscent of the great Pettit and Sevitt houses of the 70's and looks like a generous block..to plan a renovation you should first check with council to find out what's possible in your area. second thought is would you consider having a separate "go to work" space..like a studio added to the garage? To invite worthwhile suggestions we need a plan of the block showing position of the house and the garage on the block (showing distance from fence and each other) and a plan of the house with basic measurements, where morning and afternoon sun come into the house, which room has the best outlook, what space do you need for the work you each do and "money no object" dream additions and alterations?

I Lesslie thanked oklouise
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Generally plan to extend north to increase light. Once work out where nth is what land options to extend there have you got and what rooms currently face nth. Would also need floor plan to comment further
    I Lesslie thanked girlguides
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Also consider skylights to brighten your home. A simple way to add light. I also love the look of your home, bricks and timber ceilings. I think some well placed skylights would overcome the problem you feel with the timber ceilings.
    I Lesslie thanked LesleyH
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

check out the Shaftless Solar Skylights and Internal windows from Illume By Kimberley and other brands available from Bunnings...these are skylights that produce the light of a skylight without a hole in the roof...can also be installed flat on a wall or above a door inside a cupboard or anywhere that needs extra light!!...can be used downstairs in two story homes and other spaces not normally accessible for standard skylights and roof windows...fraction of the cost and easy to install for DIY handypeople

• I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I will try to dig up a house plan to post here. I do like the idea of opening up the space to more light, and I will definitely look into skylights. We have a separate brick garage that could be changed to an office.

• I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is the garage in any case.

• cathlizross
    7 years ago

I really love your house. Please stay true to it's 70's (now very fashionable!) roots. My advice would be to take down the ceiling lights in the kitchen as they are so dated. All mid-century homes look fab with uplighting and this will also help with your dark problem in the lounge area. Perhaps have a linear pendant or a group of simple lights in the kitchen. Have a look at some mid century wall lighting on pinterest or house and you'll see what a difference they will make. Put it low, and it creates great subtle light without overhead glare or shadows. Look at simple mid-century furnishings because they go perfectly with your palette. I'm glad you've taken down the curtains. The bathroom is probably a good place to spend some money and have a lovely white, minimalist and simple area. If it were me I would pull up all of the floor timber and carpet and do simple pale grey concrete tiles (google concreate) - their tiles are wonderful and not too expensive. Then you can have some hide-type rugs which will also go with the theme. The timber on the ceiling is perfect for the look, it's just too much with timber on the floor as well and the carpet is a bit dull. Hope that has helped.

I Lesslie thanked cathlizross
  • PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    7 years ago

Hi I Lesslie,
    Usually, houses built in the 70s have good natural light and can be less challenging than most old floor plans when reconfiguring, so you have a pretty good foundation to begin with. A few suggestions:

• For styling, depending on your style, using mid-century pieces is a great way for you to keep the house relevant and contemporary.

• For the extension, I'd need to take a look at the floor plan and site plan to get an idea of where it could go and the general flow of the house before I could make any recommendations

• Internally, you could consider covering the brick faces with plaster to lighten the rooms.

• You could also update the layout of the bathroom and select new fittings

• From a value point of view, you could possibly update the exterior to increase the street appeal.

When it comes to renovating it depends on your over all goal - Are you renovating to increase the value of your property? Or is this your forever home and are you looking to improve your lifestyle at home?

Hope these questions and dot points help point you in the right direction. Best of luck!

I Lesslie thanked Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi,

What a wonderful canvas! So many possibilities and styles!

Re the lighting, the surfaces inc the brickwork and ceiling don't reflect much. From the photos shown (and without knowing the layout) you could dry line (clad in gyprock) a wall or two and paint them eg white. If you choose the walls you want to remain brick to draw attention, the other/s can be white and will reflect light/brighten up the room.

If you post a plan, there are plenty on here with design ideas that will help you.

Cheers

I Lesslie thanked User
  • PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi,

Your house has so much potential! Firstly i'm unsure of your budget so my advise is solely based on what i think would make it look more modern / stylish. First of all i would change the wooden panels in your kitchen to a more clean color like a light to medium grey or even white and getting new stainless steel handles for your cupboards to match the large fridge. Now for your bathroom is that a long window? I would replace that with a frosted glass and maybe paint the window frame white. You've got a great base having white tiles by the way! To modern up the room even more i would add a new vanity in (maybe even double basin, more room for you and the kids!) I would replace bathroom floor tiles with new dark grey tiles. Same with in kitchen, Cant see very well but do you have wooden floors? Large tiles would look great there! Will post some photos soon to give you some inspo! Hope i am some help!

I Lesslie thanked Morel Construction Ltd
  • PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

Some photos to go with my post ^^

ViaVeneto Fresh 1200 Vanity LH Basin Matt White Cabinet · More Info

Traditional Wall & Floor Tiles · More Info

Marvel - Premium Italian Marble Look Porcelain Tiles · More Info

800mm wide wall unit 2 doors | Niki · More Info

New Kitchens · More Info

Decorating with colour · More Info

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I actually like the kitchen.
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

I love your kitchen and lounge- I am a sucker for an internal brick wall - they have all the elements for a funky mid century refreshment rather than a full renovation. You can tell from the pictures that the person who built the house cared about the details.

The key with the living area is to lighten up the furniture with mid century styles which will normally throw light along the floor rather than the heavy bases of the furniture that is there- it may be the previous owners and not yours but with the interior brick work it looks like quite a good palette- add some dark teal, mustard or lighter mid century colours - you could go either 60's or 70s inspired. Put some bold patterns in the cushions and possibly a drape or fabric wall panel for the living room. Try Marimeko for design ideas.

There are plenty of pictures on Houzz to browse for these eras- I think it is important to not be slave to it as it can look try hard. If you go this way try to get some original pieces other wise too much replica can look dated.

If you are doing the kitchen I would consider keeping some timber laminate in the joinery.- possibly just some drawers if you don't want too much. Accessorise with orange or turquoise.

If you wanted you could paint the ceilings but i think it would be a shame to do so as it would change the look.

Think carefully about what attracted you to the house and try to retain and enhance this if possible. Keep the warmth and try not to fall into the trap of having tiles everywhere. Good luck! I am envious!

I Lesslie thanked philippawright
  • I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone! This is the best site! We will need to do the bathroom because the shower leaks and there is plenty to mull over there. Flooring has to be changed throughout the house. We have a once blue-grey plush carpet that is now heavily stained and worn. We also have cork tiles in the kitchen, which also has the same carpet. We are now thinking about painting some of the walls in the living room white, straight on to the brick. Is that a bad idea? I hadn't thought about changing the lighting, or adding wall lighting but that would make a huge difference I'm sure. At night time, it's like we have a shadowy cloud above us but the ceiling is very beautiful. Would you have a link to those lights cathlizross? I had a look on Pinterest, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at exactly. I like our kitchen too, I love the space and the layout, and I don't mind the laminate benchtop, but I really want to fit a dishwasher in and the electric stovetop is an odd size, so the benches will need to be replaced, I think?

As for the facade, I am very keen gardener, and we have been planting a huge native garden. We were thinking of painting the fence a charcoal colour, and the house trims white.

It's a bit overwhelming how much we have to do. Is it better to do it bit by bit or put out the cash and do it all at once?

• I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Poor quality photo, but it shows the position of the house and garage in our block of land. (The arrow on the left points north)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    If you're planning a native garden, one of my fav sites is Gardening with Angus.
  • I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes a fav of mine too!

• oklouise
    7 years ago

you already know the bathroom and kitchen need work and an extra bedroom and bathroom would be useful and you love the space and you've invested in the new garden so now you need an overall plan to upgrade and refresh the whole house ...start with the floorplan and site plans and all the ideas listed could be considered with what you already have, want to keep and need to change...

• oklouise
    7 years ago

I've just seen the site plan and the very generous size of your block should allow for an extension to the back OR the front yard so you only need the houseplans with existing measurements and/or a sketch of the kitchen to invite specific suggestions, especially finding a place for the dishwasher

• Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

I agree you have a comfortable home with plenty of "good bones". I think before you start anything you need to go through many books, web sites etc to chose a style that you agree matches your personality, then price up what you can keep from your existing home versus what you can afford to purchase and update. Live in the house for a year before making any drastic changes so you know what rooms get great sun what works, what doesn't etc.

• rennfest
    7 years ago
    Would look fantastic with a front verandah
  • hosinator
    7 years ago
    Don't paint the brick, on that type of brick face it won't look great and will be a huge amount of work.
    It's also permanent and almost impossible to go back after its done.

My parents had exposed brick walls and cedar ceilings. They plastered over both and the change was phenomenal.
    I would recommend doing the same, but after you extend.
  • cathlizross
    7 years ago

please don't paint the bricks! You have a fabulous mid century home and you really want to appreciate the style rather than try and make it into something else. Ambient lighting is what you need, so think wall lights and lots of lamps! All of the stores have heaps of wall lights, and you want those flat ones that emit light in both directions and place them low.

http://www.beaconlighting.com.au/ledlux-nord-led-up-down-cube-wall-bracket-in-teak-1.html

I've just picked this light from google but they have these everywhere in the shops, remember keep them low.

And lamps ... a few mid century ones will be just perfect. An example:

http://www.westelm.com/products/mid-century-table-lamp-bullet-w1042/

By all means replace the kitchen benches, but don't make a hasty decision. You need something which will work with the style. Google palm beach mid century homes and look and think long and hard.

• K G
    7 years ago

How funny, our house was renovated/extended during the 70s and has so many similar features - timber look kitchen, exactly same cork tiles and soap holder in bathroom (which also looked similar). Way too many patterns and textures at once I've found (patterned carpet + timber look + pattern wallpaper...). We're still in the process of doing up our house, we had to do bathrooms first as had bad leaks - my recommendation do the things first that really need doing, e.g. bathroom and maybe you'll find a style you connect with while doing that. Don't paint the bricks, they look great and back in fashion big time. I would look at maybe removing the ceiling timber as I find it a bit much with the bricks. Different ceiling (white? what's underneath?) and new lighting would prob make huge difference already. Then go from there and if budget and time allows do extension etc. at same time.

• cathlizross
    7 years ago

Have a look at Nicholas Murray architects. Timber ceilings, bricks, all wall lights. This is a look I feel sure will give you some ideas. Please don't paint the bricks or remove the timber, embrace the heritage of your lovely home. You know what it's like when people rip out aluminium windows in a Victorian home to "modernise" it and what a shame that is?

• annb1997
    7 years ago

I too like your house. The cork floor is nice too (to trend again in 2017), but I'm guessing you don't necessarily want it throughout your house?? I like the light timber cabinets in kitchen, although you may prefer drawers in place of cupboards under bench. You wouldn't have to have ALL timber; you could mix materials. Would you be open to keeping with mid-century? Here are some kitchen photos for inspiration.

I Lesslie thanked annb1997
  • I Lesslie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How funny that some of these features are back in fashion! Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!!

• annb1997
    7 years ago

I think your garage could easily be converted to an office. My husband and I converted our attached garage (in a prev home) to a rumpus/family room. We replaced the double roller doors with sliding glass doors and had a timber floating floor installed over the concrete floor. New lights and we were good to go. Your garage could be the perfect space for you both to work at home, and the bonus is you can easily monitor children playing outdoors. Your initial question was 'Where to start?' Maybe being able to seperate work from home would be the most beneficial place to begin.

• Chris
    7 years ago

It is unusual to find a house of this era in such good condition with what looks like it's original condition. We have a house of the same era and have spent a lot of money getting it back to original. I love your house! However if you are thinking of renovating I would give it a couple of years as we found our needs did change as kids get older. The classic design will carry your house through another 30 years.

• PRO
    Cathi Colla Architects
    7 years ago

Hi I Lesslie,

What a lovely place to make your own (and bring up your
    kids, work, garden…).

The best way forward for you and your family is to jot down
    what you love and what you don’t love about your existing home and land (site).
    This can vary between individuals.

Your list should include aspects like the leaky bathroom, as
    well as particular rooms being ‘too dark’. Don’t forget the wonderful features
    such as a particular view to the garden (or hills beyond), enough lawn to kick
    a footy, and so on.

Now transform these into two ordered lists: the first list
    being the things you love about your home and your site (list in priority
    order); the other list is for the items that need changing for functional or
    aesthetic reasons (also in priority order).

Next, write down what your short term and long term needs
    are for your home: do you intend to live there until the day you die, or just
    while the kids are at school?; are you intending to continue to work from home?.

Now, to think about how you imagine you’d like to live, work
    and exist as a family. Forget for the moment your current home scenario. Write
    down the types of rooms/space you need (as distinct from ‘want’). List the
    aspects of living you enjoy, such as family gatherings, friends visiting overnight,
    and son on. What about your work from home requirements: do you need a space
    separate from the living (kids zone) to make telephone calls, concentrate? And
    how big should this space be (occasional staff)?

After much soul searching, you will have what we call a “Functional Brief”, bringing together the pro’s and con’s of your project, your
    long term plan and your wish list. This should now become your ‘go to’ document
    that sets the agenda for your renovation project. If an idea is not on your
    list, don’t go there!

There is another benefit of creating your Functional Brief. Whilst
    creating and editing these documents you will become more attuned with the
    worth (benefits) of each component. For every project there needs to be a
    budget – and your budget will assist in prioritising what is most important to
    you (the tighter the budget, the greater the need to prioritise).

Your next step is to take your Functional Brief and your
    budget to a suitably qualified architect.
    An experienced architect should be able to transform your Functional
    Brief and your budget into a project – a renovation project that is specific to
    you, your family, your site, your budget and your future.

Best of luck, Cathi