Houzz Logo Print
rachaeleveparker

Kitchen design around floor to ceiling windows

Rach P
7 years ago
I'm struggling with designing our new kitchen. It's currently u-shape with a breakfast bar near floor to ceiling windows - but no one sits near the windows as it's not a central place. For our renovation, I'm considering:-

1. Galley kitchen with island bench.

Pros: will open up space and sink will remain in island, so can fit dishwasher & bin near sink
Cons: bench against wall would be 600mm, but the windows are 960mm - so if we take bench to the corner to maximize bench space we will block the bottom of the corner windows - which means 360mm of glass would be showing on the lower corner window. Will this look odd?

2. L-shape kitchen with island bench

Pros: we get more cabinetry/storage
Cons: island would be smaller so sink would go next to window but there is not enough space to have bin & dishwasher right next to sink - plus it means we will block the bottom of three of the floor to ceiling windows which would reduce light.

We can't remove the windows as we want as much light as possible, and we have raked ceilings so the posts between current windows are load bearing which I've been told would be expensive to change. Any advice is very welcome!

Comments (23)