Houzz Logo Print
cac546

New custom kitchen: Modern white wood cabinets?

cac546
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm in the process of building a new home and am currently working on the kitchen design. Our house will be somewhere between transitional and modern in terms of design (white washed 5" wide hardwood floors with a hint of gray, a metal stair railing, very very simple baseboard and window trim... so not a house full of metal and glass but certainly more modern than most houses currently being built in the US).

The one area I'm having a hard time with is the kitchen cabinets. I have a gut feeling that high gloss laminate/foil cabinets are going to feel *too* modern for me but I'm also concerned that my current plan of white shaker cabinets (even with modern hardware) is going to feel too traditional. What I think best matches our style is slab style wood cabinets but my brain has a *VERY* hard time with having two "patterns" right next to each other and I'm almost certain that it will be impossible for me to put wood (non-painted) cabinets on top of the hardwood floors in our kitchen and not feel like the contrast bothers me so I think I'm going to be limited to white cabinets.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make painted white wood cabinets feel more modern? Perhaps using a higher gloss paint finish? Another thought I had was maybe using a thinner plywood for the stiles and rails so there's still dimension in the drawer front but it's flatter than a more traditional shaker cabinet? We're using a high end custom cabinet maker so we can do anything within reason.

Or maybe photos of high gloss laminate/foil cabinets that don't feel super modern in a space? Our kitchen will be quite large and my gut feeling is that such a large amount of shiny white cabinets is going to feel out of place.

Our current plan is for white quartz countertops. We have a two year old and a second baby on the way so we want our house to feel modern/contemporary without feeling like a museum or hotel. Here are some photos of pictures that match our "style" along with a few kitchens I've been looking at.

Thanks in advance!

The Circle East Hampton · More Info
This is very similar to what our hardwood floors and staircase will look like.

Azalea · More Info
Very similar to what the exterior of our house will look like.

Modern Bedroom · More Info
The entire living room and eat-in area which surround the kitchen will be filled with large windows similar to those above; a large fixed window with an awning transom below. Ours won't quite be floor to ceiling but will be close.

Dining In · More Info
This is a kitchen that leaves me with hope that white shaker cabinets can look fairly modern. I'm not sure what it is about the kitchen that leaves me feeling that way but even thought this isn't the most modern kitchen in the world I do think something like this could work. Trying to figure out what distinguishes this from other kitchens with white shaker cabinets that feel more traditional.

Sandyhill apartment · More Info
There's just something about the high gloss cabinets that doesn't feel right to me (too cold/stark perhaps?).

Comments (24)