Houzz Logo Print
teganbartholomew

Floor Plan layout help for renovation

Tegan
5 years ago

I'm looking for advice for a kitchen layout. Our plan is to remove all walls where I've highlighted green to open up the upstairs of the house. It is small space, so creating an open flow kitchen-living-dining (which will then flow onto a large deck) is the plan.

The issue I am having is the kitchen layout. By removing the walls surrounding the stairs (and replacing it with handrails), I'd taking away valuable cabinet and bench space. Moving the stairs from the centre of the house is not an option due to downstairs layout.

The dimensions of the current layout are approx 3.6 x 2.2. If we were to remove the wall next to the stairs, there is not enough floor space to put in an island bench so this will just be a passage way, I guess. Do you think the L shape space left over would be practical? Considering pantry and french-door fridge will take up a lot of room, as well as lack of space for overhead cabinetry (large windows and range-hood will take up most of this space), I'm thinking we need to ditch this idea and keep the wall against the staircase.

I'd love any suggestions!

Comments (8)