Houzz Logo Print
kurnalpi

Tile problem - to cut or extend bench top up?

kurnalpi
5 years ago
I’ve chosen to use Southern Cross Infinity tiles (300x600) for our splash back. Given that I have to have 70cm from the gas oven cooktop to the overhead cupboards means I will need to cut and add 10cm portions from the tile to make up the 70cm.

I have seen quite a few pics of people using the same type of tiles with the cut tile added on to 10cm and I’m not entirely sold on that, given that it interrupts the pattern and adds another grout line. Adding 15cm with the tile would keep the pattern but it really impacts on the height of the overhead cupboards and I’m only 150cm!

One solution is to add a lip/rise/addition of 10cm using our bench top stone at the bottom of the backsplash to make up the 10cm. I’m struggling to find the right search terms in order to find pics of other people who may have used this idea. I’d be grateful if anyone can find pics of this or help me with search terms.

So what do I do? Cut the tile in a not quite perfect place to make up the 10cm or consider using the bench top stone at the base of the splash back ? Any other creative suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (16)