alexandrabywater

Exterior paint colour help

alexandrabywater
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi there, I am in need of help with exterior colour for a highset dark red brick house (1980's I think) with zincalume roof.
I am wanting to change the excess of Colorbond Manor House Red. Currently we have Manor House Red gutters, fascia, handrail steel upright supports and wooden top rails for steps and verandah. Also Manor House Red steel supports from ground to verandah.
We also have Classic Cream screen door with a timber varnished door with glass inserts and cream type of colour roller shutters with small band of red trim.
Windows are a bronze-ish colour.
Concrete steps and verandah and porch area concrete Ironstone.
Porch wall is a biscuity sort of colour (horrible).
Garage roller door Ironstone (new).
What I am wanting to change are the gutters, fascia, eaves, steel upright support, wooden hand rails, steel supports from ground maybe and porch wall.
I don't want to paint the roof.
My first thought was to paint the gutters and fascia Shale Grey as this is the closest match, steel upright supports Ironstone and wooden handrail in Shale Grey.
So I painted the handrail after undercoating and painted the steel upright support of one side of the steps. Upright support is ok but not sure about the handrail?
Without undercoating gutter and fascia I painted a coat of Shale Grey and it looks like grey primer.
Then my next dilemma is the Classic Cream screen door and roller shutters. Should I be using cream instead of greys? And what colour for the porch wall?
I am so confused by the whole colour thing and hope someone can push me in the right direction.
I will attach photo where you can see the patch I painted on gutter and fascia, also handrail and upright support on left hand side of steps.
These are all Colorbond colours by the way and they don't necessarily have to be.

• julie herbert
    2 months ago

Keep it simple and stylish and paint all your trims to match your garage door, replace your screen door with a more modern style, once your driveway and turning bay are completed then landscape, if you add too many colours it will detract from the overall look, the more simple the colour scheme the more stylish the look, add feature planters in a lighter shade to bring life to entrance and balcony.

alexandrabywater thanked julie herbert
  • alexandrabywater
    last month

Thank you. I actually bought sample pots of Monunent, Wallaby and Sahara and thought you might have meant Sllate. Thanks heaps for your help and to every one else.

• Related Discussions

Exterior paint colour help

Q

I think I would ask around a bit more if the roof colour is something you'd really like to change. I don't mind it, tbh. : ) It looks like some images I've seen of colorbond Sandbank, but I'm really not sure. Super easy face-lift is to paint out utility boxes and down pipe to same as existing wall colour. Paint windows architraves white. Replace awnings with light colour ones. And yes, add some colour with front door. You'll save time and money that can be put into all the things that will crop up after you move in. Establish a garden (not cheap!) so that is well on it's way for if / or when you do a full paint job. Having said all that, i found another possible colour combo if you're going to get the full works done now.
    ...See More

exterior paint colour! Help!

Q

Hi Tia, Your house looks amazing! How funny today i spent all day choosing a colour for our exterior render. After all the umming and arghing, speaking with colour consultants and door knocking other people's homes we have decided on surfmist. I originally wanted vivid white but its too stark. It all depends what tone of white you would like cool or warm. Do you prefer greys or creams? Have a look at these: Lexicon, Whisper white, Cotton Ball, Tranquil Retreat. Good luck
    ...See More

Help! Exterior Paint Colours

Q

You have a lovely traditional looking home, and repainting it in today's fashionable, contemporary colours may look a bit odd. In addition you have that large expanse of terracotta red brickwork to the side, which you haven't mentioned, but will still impact on the appearance of the house from an angle. I would be looking at colour schemes that work with colours that you are not going to change such as the stone and brickwork. The scheme that you currently have complements the existing architecture, and there are other traditional schemes that will work, that aren't green and cream. As always the only way to assess the suitability of a colour is with samples. A professional can source A4 sized samples which will help you assess the suitability. Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls
    ...See More

help with exterior paint colour please!

Q

what a great looking house...could you have the dark colour around the front porch, front of the garage and the alfresco walls (where it's shady in the photo) and have the rest of the house white or surfmist?
    ...See More
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    last month

It is slate sorry.

• alexandrabywater
    last month
    last modified: last month

2 FIND and DESIGN with regards to the Rust-oleum the image you supplied is Slate but you referred to Sahara.

Am I right in thinking you meant Slate? Bunnings website shows an image of Slate regardless of which colour you select.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    last month

When you order your paint with your supplier (Bunnings?) check with them your options for suitable outdoor paint product suitable for eaves that is a straight white. They will be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck

• alexandrabywater
    last month

2 FIND and DESIGN what whites have no undertones please?

last month

How lucky are you living across from a beach plus a river, you are going to need that easy access to extra storage for all the toys, surf boards, sup boards etc it would be a great addition, and agree to keeping the shutters in good condition, they will help control any weather, make sure they are painted on both sides.

• alexandrabywater
    last month

siriuskey yes the house is across the road from the beach with ocean and river views and I would like to keep the shutters as they are in good condition and they help keep the Winter cold out.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    last month

Alexandra That’s good to hear. The fascia would best in the monument and keep the eaves white (with no undertones).

last month

Alexandra is the house near the beach with any views, if the existing shutters are in good condition I would keep them and update them by using one colour ie: no stripes.

If it's within your budget I would build in under the current deck which will make it look more substantial at the moment it's a bit like a Juliet balcony, it would be even better to widen it so it would have better function. With or without extending the deck , filling in under it (not with bricks) would provide you with a great storage space for surf boards? lawn mower and tradie tools. all the stuff that generally clutters the garage,

Eaves would be white with Fascia & gutters and down pipes the same colour. A satin Black would be a great classic colour scheme, and works with the red bricks and original windows, Updating the front door as per Julies lovely example.

I think I saw that your roof is a natural metal colour?, perfect.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

2 FIND and DESIGN Thank you for your advice. I am more than happy to paint stairs and patio as they are due to be done anyway. Garage door is reasonably new but can paint it if I really have to.

I am liking this colour scheme and wondering what colour you would do fascia and eaves.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    2 months ago

One more suggestion is to remove all the shutters. Hope these suggestions help.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    2 months ago

If your open to it I’d suggest to repaint the stairs, patio & garage too. To give your home a fresh modern look try colorbond monument for your gutters, down pipes, hand rails, posts, fly screen and front door. For your garage door, trellis and the wall colorbond wallaby. Your windows try leaving them at this stage and see how you feel and if your still not happy with them do the same monument on all. For the stairs and patio floor rust-oleum do a product “decorative concrete coating” in Sahara. Any lights switch out to a modern black. For your driveway do actual concrete in a modern style like the image supplied below. Then once you put a green garden under the patio it will be finished off beautifully.
    You are doing the right thing using test pots and you should do so with these suggestions as well.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

No littlies for me lol

2 months ago

great time to spend learning an online or a google course to help you, there;s so much out there, but if you have littlies climbing around that might need to be night time

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

Thank you siriuskey... I am home

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

Bigreader it really does need replacing. It isn’t noticeable in photo but it has lots of huge sink holes and cracks. It has been pressure cleaned but it still looks dreadful.

Why does stamped not go with the house? Lordy I get more confused by the day 😊

2 months ago

Alexanderbw, I’d postpone and save your money on the driveway until the house is done. It may only need a really good pressure wash. And the stamped pattern doesn’t really suit the house.

2 months ago

Siriuskey, that inspo pic and your mock up are perfect. Add that to a lush green garden and the street appeal rockets.

2 months ago

I use rectangles, the Polygon and the straight line, but a thick line, I haven't ever done a course, but perhaps now is the time. Photot shop and others a far better. I would look at some of the online Paint Brands, as they have programs to help you show what a colour scheme looks like, they need a good straight on photo to work, give it a try, are you home or still working?

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

siriuskey Is there a secret to getting the lines straight using a mouse?

2 months ago

An old Paint program on my Windows XP, I have a better one on My Windows 8. It does give you an idea of how you can change the appearance of your house. cheers

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

That is awesome. I simply cannot visualise...what editor did you use if I may ask?

2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I don't have correct colours but this should help you visualize , this is looking at your house with the deck filled in with panels which I think makes your house look better and creates storage

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

Pottsy99 would you believe that handrail going up the stairs is 2 coasts of Colorbond Shale Grey.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

Siriuskey I love that! Thank you.

2 months ago

As bigreader mentioned, 3 colours, which has been followed in the above example, keep it simple

2 months ago

This Red Brick House on Pinterest by Goddensudik.com Architects, the use of colour is beautifully balanced, Red Brick dark colour and a lighter colour. In this case the lighter tan colour has been used on the garage door and possibly windows and doors, and with a lighter coloured driveway to work with the garage door.

I still think that the under part of the front deck should be filled in and painted with a single colour as how the panels have been painted in the picture. You certainly don't need to render over those classic red bricks

2 months ago

You are picking too many colours. It’s a brick house not a period property. Different paint colours are used to highlight or play down architectural features. You have a solid home but it doesn’t have architecture to highlight. No more than three colours in total including the Ironstone already used, and including the red brick as a colour also.

2 months ago

The garage door and stairs look fine. Why don’t you use that colour on all paintable surfaces?

• pottsy99
    2 months ago

The left hand handrail up the stairs looks like a sickly pale blue in the photos -- maybe its the contrast with the brown ( or maybe red haha ) right side rail , but it doesn't look at all appetising to me .

2 months ago

From your earlier post

New stamped concrete driveway in bluestone coming soon and landscaping.

Looks like you are going for a heavy/dark blue coloured stamped driveway running up to a dark grey garage door

• amonymousanne
    2 months ago

I would leave your decking and stair treads grey , remove your security door and replace with a white . I would then paint all of the rest of the trims , roller door and shutters , white except for the down pipe which is okay . Nice landscaping to green up the sterility.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

Thst is good to hear. We can’t afford to render.

• HU-28545710
    2 months ago

I would try a number of things before rendering. The bricks are nice, and would be seen to much better advantage with some of the great suggestions others have made.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

That crazy rock paved area is being excavated and a garden bed going in.... what blue???

Are you referring to my test patch of Shale Grey on hand rail and gutter/fascia? Looks awful that’s why I am here.

2 months ago

Just noticed that you plan a "stamped" Blue Stone driveway, could it be a light beige pebblecrete they look so much better, I have a friend who calls stamped driveways Giraffe Driveways!!, sorry

• pottsy99
    2 months ago

The bricks still look brown to me haha .

That area , and the wall , under the terrace , is strange -- a bare wall , and a crazy-paved rock area concreted in . I tried to imagine something that would hide that , without looking stupid , like fake window frames or a mural would .

About all I can think is 3 or 4 large colour glazed pots , maybe different heights say 600mm to 1 metre tall ( all same colour , or a theme like various oranges ) each with a different style and colour of plant in them -- that will break that area , but it would be $1000 worth of pots , plants extra . Wooden boxes or a seat or even rendering would still look strange and boring IMO .

Get that sorted , carry the theme through -- orange or yellow railings and gutters . If you keep that light cod-fish blue you should be locked up !

designer living interiors
    2 months ago

Hi there, great colour scheme. Would certainly add softness and improve the look

You should consider a render and paint finish to this house as it would definitely bring it to the next level..

Best of luck :)

2 months ago

The most major change I would look to do is to "Bulk" out the verandah by building in the under.story of the verandah with plain panels that can be painted your dark colour or cream/white, this would include under the stairs, making a great storage area plus giving the street front a stronger appearance. The deck would need water proofing and even extending out to match the neighbours and making it a better out door space. Your existing window shades just need to have the tell tale red strips painted out.

Keep it simple and don't introduce too many colours cheers

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Hi there, thank you all for your comments. I have attached some lighter photos even though they still look like brownish bricks when they really are red. New stamped concrete driveway in bluestone coming soon and landscaping.

Thoughts on using Barnfloor for gutters, Evening Haze for fascia and Beige Royal Quarter for eaves. Concrete steps and patio stay Ironstone as does garage door.

The porch area Evening Haze with architrave in Barnfloor.

2 months ago

More photos would be helpful and not as dark

• angela stratton
    2 months ago

Yellow, it has to be yellow. The world has enough grey already.

designer living interiors
    2 months ago

Hi alexandrabywater,

I don't know how much you intend to spend on the exterior of your home but I am guessing it doesn't include render and paint finish to the entire home.

I would recommend you remove your cream flyscreen and paint your front entry door in a colour of your choice.. to add a pop of colour. This could be a teal or acqua blue, emerald green or golden yellow..

I would not change the window frame colour if you are on a budget.

I would paint the fascias, gutters and downpipes all in Monument which is a dark colour as this would make these items disappear.

I would also paint the handrails, posts all in Monument.

The lattice should all go but if it must stay then make it disappear with again Monument paint finish.. the downpipe and that wall in that beige colour should also be painted in monument..

If you find you do need a flyscreen for ventilation, then get a new one without a pattern for a more contemporary look. There are some with the hard mesh similar to the crimsafe mesh and again, select a monument frame..

I would paint all the eaves in a soft white, consider illusive white by Taubmans and lastly below the balcony, where there is a large area of brick wall, I would suggest you plant a row of moraiya plants to soften the brick wall.

If you wish to go to the expense of rendering the house, then I would select a soft white that works with your bronze colour window frames... and I would paint the same colour on your garage door. This would glam up your house for sure..

All the best.

• Caro
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Dulux monument is a charcoal colour that works well with the red-brown brick. If you paint all the guttering fascias, garage door and windows (you can paint aluminium) it will make the darker bricks pop, less so the red ones if this is desired. Natural white - or another neutral white could be used for window frames, and side panels as a contrast. clean and simple and leaves the texture of the bricks as the hero.

• gwyn5
    2 months ago

Lift the path in front of the house and garden that area. Make the garden deep and wide and pull it down heavily on the neighbours side, but lightly on the driveway side. Spend money on a landscaper - it will be well spent, I promise.

• alexandrabywater
    2 months ago

The bricks are red not brown and the paint is Manor House Red. I think the photo is perhaps a tad dark.

• pottsy99
    2 months ago

Yeah , although it's closer to black . It isn't really a colour -- it just fills in to make the colours stand out and look cohesive . it softens the brown .

• Kate
    2 months ago

I’m sorry pottsy but charcoal is just a shade of Grey

• pottsy99
    2 months ago

Red ? What Red ? Haha .

The brown is extremely boring . Gray is extremely boring . In my opinion , the 2 should not been seen together .

Heres where I'd start . The gutterings in a bright lipstick red . The handrails up the stairs in a bright lipstick red . The handrails along the front I'd do in a dark metallic looking charcoal , as well as the front of the terrace , and the actual stairs . Darker than I'd normally like , but its about the only colour I'd use with the brown brick . The uprights I'd also do in the charcoal ,

The eves I'd leave in white , the bits above the windows I'd do in the bright lipstick red . And its a bit hard to tell , but it looks like there may be 80-100mm wide concrete or plaster around the garage door -- I'd do that in a crisp white , and leave the door itself in that gray -- hopefully , that would be the only grey .

And I know they are old-school , but I'd look at some nice 300mm wide shutters beside the 'front' window and sliding door ( on the terrace ) , in crisp white -- just to break the monotony -- yes I know , it is still monotone , just not as monotoneous !

The only other option for me , and I'm not keen on painted bricks -- that would be to paint the bricks in a light grey , then do all the 'extras' in orange or yellow or crisp white -- but do the railings , gutterings and shutters if fitted in that metallic charcoal . I hate gray , but it's almost an improvement on that chocolate brown . . . . . . . . . .