Houzz Logo Print
webuser_431176019

Deck upgrade for 70s brick home

Steph
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there, we need to update the tiles and railing on our back deck and front balcony for our 70s brick home in South East Qld (photos in comments). Wondering if anyone could help with ideas for the deck?At the moment it is tiled (they are broken and lifting, with cement sheeting and timber frame underneath). The balustrade and rails are painted timber and are rusted where they meet the deck and some have wood rot where they meet the frame at the bottom (for front balcony). They are also ughly as anything on the back. I believe the deck was added as an extension as it is a different brick. The timber frame is attached directly to the house, all is structurally sound according to an engineer (with the suggestion of some increased bolts into the house - which we will do).We are not planning on painting the brick or changing the windows (as much as I would like to - can't justify the cost yet), but I would like to replace the door to the back deck with bi-fold or french if it would look okay).Looking for thoughts on colour scheme and materials to replace railings and balustrades, deck floor, and door to deck. Also open to changing the blue. Thanks heaps in advance.

Comments (14)