Houzz Logo Print
nina_dcruz

Kitchen renovation on 3bd townhouse

Nina D'Cruz
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're looking to renovate the kitchen. The plan is to open the kitchen with walkthrough to the laundry pantry. My future kitchen layout does not have the triangle. Also we're not going to do a sink in the laundry. This is causing great debate between hubby and I. Tbh I haven't used a laundry sink in a very long time but still prefer to have one however extra bench space is also preferred. So I'm pretty torn. Just wanting to get others perspective on the layout, not being a triangle and on 'to have a laundry sink or not?'

Comments (76)

• Kate
    2 years ago

I like your plans

Nina D'Cruz thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    2 years ago

Not sure why you would only have 1m space, what width and depth do the machines require. As macyjean suggested, because of their size they would be better stacked? (not in front o the window)The problem I have found with having a front loader is that there's no soaking available, maybe yours does, if not even more reason you should have a sink for that purpose and future sale

I'am also not a fan of shared laundry and pantries, I would try to keep some definition

Nina D'Cruz thanked siriuskey
  • Related Discussions

Mt Lawley Renovation on a Budget

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi good job, I thought the before photo was the after photo at first, what a transformation, if that is budget you have done a great job! How much did it cost her, (less appliances) would be good to know? Thanks
    ...See More

Would you renovate this Aussie brick veneer? Help us decide!

Q

Comments (13)
    The plan looks a nightmare - bedrooms facing the street, a tiny internal bathroom with no window to the outside (is that legal?) and a "lounge" that looks like it was meant to be a third bedroom. If the internal walls are stud and don't support the roof you're in with a chance, but I'd say to do a proper job the cheap option is NOT going to work. I'd put two bedrooms where the current family room and lounge are and extend the bathroom into the boot room to give window access, or scrap the current bathroom altogether and use some of the space in what is now the kitchen for a new one. Keeping the WC separate is a good move. If you make the street side the social side of the house you can open it right out and create a big front porch that's a social spill-over from the kitchen/dining area, creating indoor-outdoor flow. Planting (two or three shade trees and some stands of tall perennials rather than a "green fence" hedge) keeps your front garden private yet inviting and stops your front porch becoming a stage set for the street. Good luck! I think you'll turn this very ordinary house into a much nicer place to live!
    ...See More

Is this a good idea? converting a 2 bdr townhouse into 3bdr..

Q

Comments (26)
    There are certainly some fantastic ideas being thrown around here - we're certainly armed with food for thought! a) My feel on creating a second entry into the bigger bathroom from the new master bedroom is that it won't achieve a whole lot functionally - although certainty a more expensive option having the current ensuite reconfigured (as per Louise's plan) would be ideal. b) I also like the idea of having the door of the new bedroom two positioned out in the hallway (therefore creating a more secluded study/bedroom). I guess it's at the potential expense of more storage though... c) If we make room 2 bigger at the expense of room 3, it can only become 'longer'. In other words, it would still be only 2.6m wide, so probably better to keep room three 3 x 3? We gain access in the first week of December at which point we'll have some builders come through to quote... (recommendations appreciated). I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with progress for those keen to see how this little gem unfolds... There's also a bit of work to be done on the ground floor (knocking out a kitchen wall to make it open plan)... not near as exciting but happy to share if there's interest :)
    ...See More

Advice for renovation on Californian Bungalow

Q

Comments (3)
    Your budget will define your options. First floor extensions to Californian bungalows are automatically an expensive option due to the structural costs. The original structure was not engineered to support the weight of an additional floor, so the existing house will need some re-inforcement. Apart from the cost aspect you need a sympathetic designer who understands the style of the home. Too many Californian bungalows have lost their original charm by cheaply designed, unsympathetic boxes plonked on top and behind. Without a design it is hard to be precise about costs but I would anticipate that you will be well into the six figures, so be sure about how many hundreds of thousands you are prepared to spend before you engage a building designer. To be honest with a small block and a house that requires an expensive first floor extension you may be better off considering your moving options.... Best of luck with your budget, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits
    ...See More
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We've tried every layout you've suggested siriuskey even what macyjean suggested. The machines can't stack. The depth of bench is the issue and corners. and cabinet doors. Plus I'm only 5ft so won't be as easy for me to access if they were stack. The machines are 600x645 deep. I don't really soak, I use the delicate cycle. If I do need to ( once in a blue moon) I use the bath tub for sheets or a bucket. We have an outdoor dining space which we use quite a lot and access is through the laundry at the moment. We want to have the access through the kitchen instead and just passing the laundry/Butler's pantry. It will be more efficient for straight to the kitchen sink with new plan rather than going into the laundry via two doors, then going around pass entrance foyer pass dining before you get to kitchen bit difficult when you're setting up or cleaning up and things in your hand. We may just get a provision for a sink.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I just lost my comment attached to this floorplan so will attempt it separately.

Without all dimensions (agents plans are not always correct) I suggest looking at using some of that wasted Foyer space to add a pantry within the kitchen (I understand it is a two story building but this can be worked with) Add 300 deep cabinets to long side of island and add situp at end of the island, you need approx 60 per person so maybe just one stool with another next to the fridge

Stack washer dryer as macyjean suggested being so big they would fit better allowing for a straight 1200 corner broom laundry storage (the corner pantry shown in your floorplan use up too much floor space and I think look very old. But then it's your laundry

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you siriuskey, we can certainly look at this and consider the plan possibility and also cost associated. I do like using the foyer space as it's just a wasted space.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I missed your last post, 645 deep washer and dryer were you planning to do 645 deep benchtop, all of this will make it hard for you to reach any wall storage being 5ft?

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haha. Everything is hard to reach for me. We're only doing 600 the machines will stick out a bit.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

This without stacking the dryer washer with 1200 bench top space

sink bench top approx 1600, so around 2,8m total bench top available

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This layout siriuskey is pretty good. I like the . Will need to get carpenter to look at it. Thank you. Hopefully it won't cost a lot to get done.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

You mentioned having an outdoor kitchen, is it on the other side of the kitchen sink. Outside of it

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's right outside yes, just on the other side of that window and outside the door is an outdoor kitchen with sink, also there's powder room sink and kitchen sink so lots of sink around it :)

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Any pictures of the outdoor kitchen you can share

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sink is just under window we reversed the plumbing from laundry to outside sink instead.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

That's a really nice area. Is the laundry door the only access though?

Nina D'Cruz thanked macyjean
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you macyjean. this was our first DIY project. Also why we want to open up the kitchen and laundry so it's easier access to this outdoor area d a nicer one at that. At least I can keep things tucked away neatly in the new laundry pantry :) hide the mess.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

You did the work yourselves? Great job!

So you're keeping the swinging door, not wanting to replace with a slider? Although of course a wider door means reducing valuable wall space.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Nina I agree with macyjean, I actually started working on a new plan removing the kitchen sink and making that a sliding door out to your lovely outdoor area but thought that perhaps it would make too much change for you, what do you think, would it be allowed

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Siriuskey I would love a sliding door and that was my first ever plan. But it just all adds up we'd have to re plumb and move the sink, meaning cut through concrete slab and re slab. If our house was bigger and it's the forever home definately but we can't justify the spend. We just won't get a good return on the investment as it's a town house plus I'll lose a lot of wall space for cabinets.

Macyjean yes hubby and I did it together. Ripped off the whole backyard started from scratch like we're doing with the kitchen :)

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Hi Nina, my thought was to move your sink to the LH side with the cooktop so plumbing will be easy. You could save money by maintaining the laundry as it is I will try and show that to you in a rough floorplan for you both to consider. You both appear to be clever with reno's so that is a big plus

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh that's great siriuskey. Any suggestions always welcome and I really appreciate it. Something we have not thought of. I'm really grateful.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I’d be tempted to change access

Nina D'Cruz thanked Kate
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's interesting Kate. 2 access point from entry to by pass the open laundry and one from the kitchen. Hmmmm worth consideration as well.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I have basically turned your kitchen into a galley kitchen with sliding doors giving you direct access to your lovely outdoor area, these doors will also open up your whole living dining kitchen to extra light and feel more spacious

Keeping the laundry separate and maintaining current doors will reduce costs, you can bring the laundry down stairs and straight into the laundry and close the door to cover any laundry mess, can you add a laundry chute from upstairs.

I have given you a 2900 x 900 island with second small sink. a 900 island will only leave 900 width on the cooking zone side and 800 on the wall side. If you feel this is too tight for you at 5ft?, you could do a 600 island and use that extra 300 for floor space

• oklouise
    2 years ago

as kate suggested there is a lot of wasted space in the entry but my idea would be to steal space off the foyer for a separate pantry and that makes more space in both the laundry and dining area and you keep the original laundry sink with space for an under bench washer and dryer and more laundry storage (the old laundry door makes for dual access to storage but my island is 90cm x 1800 to allow more walking space

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Sorry Nina I was working on the kitchen only being 3300 wide instead of the 3600, so we now have 1100 between the cooker and island and 100 from island to wall with the fridge being setback into the foyer space I have also extended the kitchen to 3600.

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@siriuskey I love the idea and design. Yesterday hubby and I really pondered. Sadly, it won't work. We measured the wall where fridge is and where we're moving sink and DW it's only 3270 with fridge, cooker, sink and DW it's not going to fit. We also factored in Kate and oklouise suggestions taking from the foyer and it's a bit of work and it made the entry looked like there's a box s you're coming in and the cost of moving, building walls. It's a lot of work. The space is only 750x1650. We do appreciate all the suggestions and loving the thought of new ways to maximise. Got quotes for cabinets and that alone is starting from $22k-$29k :(

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

We will have to come up with some more ideas, what about putting the fridge in the laundry where you where wanting the washer dryer moved to, and keeping them where they are? Another thought you could add a Bi Fold window where you currently have the sink, which could have a sit up bench on the outside wall

I knew that wall was shorter but I tried to steal a bit more length from the dining area?

If you did push the fridge or cupboard back into the foyer it would be built full height which wouldn't look like a box?

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just want to keep you all posted.

At siriuskey the budget after getting quotes is very limited. The kitchen as per original plan is estimated at $35k at the moment with cabinets coming in half of that. Any more alterations or additions is out of our budget. I would love bi fold doors or the doors that push up for kitchen window but budget won't allow. Sadly :(

This is the cabinet quote coming in at $16k plus GST. (sydney west KD)

Carcass – 16mm White HMR PB with ABS Edging

Doors & Panels – 18mm 2-Pac Painted shaker profile cabinets.

Blum hardware

1 x pull out spice rack,
    1 x tall corner walk in pantry,
    1 x on top of bench appliance cabinet with double doors and 3 shelves
    1 x pull out double bin with hidden drawer,
    1 x microwave box
    5 X drawers soft close.full open
    1 x pullout shelves cabinets
    2 X floor corner cabinets,
    1 x sink cabinet for Butler's sink
    1 x corner wall cabinet,
    4 X wall cabinets
    1 x fridge cabinet
    2 x 1285 open shelves 300-400mm deep
    Kickboards 100mm.
    Bulkheads 100mm.

Install

10yr warranty

Quote does not include benchtop, nor handles. We are getting this seperate.

My questions,

1. Anyone have experience with 18mm vs 21mm MDF shaker doors?

Hubby is worried 18mm in shaker profile is really a 15mm because there's not much in the middle due to recess which may cause it to warp and be less durable. We're thinking of 21mm shaker for durability but it's going to be heavy do we'd need bigger, stronger hinges. Any advice would be great. In terms of cost it's $1.5k in the difference to go 21mm.

2. Thoughts on quoted price for cabinets would be immensely appreciated. Is this good price?

Thanks everyone.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Have you had a quote with a plain profile door to see what difference it would make How many quotes did you get. Your quote is for both a kitchen and laundry, minus appliances?

• dreamer
    2 years ago

As you seem to be above your budget, look at alternatives to the expensive extras that you have been quoted.

why do you need the following:

1 x pull out spice rack

A single drawer with a 18cm front, 10cm height internal, would do the same job. You get the spice organiser from home stores.

1 x Tall corner walk in pantry

Straight cabinets are more practical and are more cost effective. an update on your quoted floor plan would be handy to visualise your quotes.

1 x Pull out double bin with hidden drawer

A simple bin would be more cost effective. You may be surprised how much these pull out bins are. especially since your going with Blum hardware, I know that the Hafele brand are around $700 dollars for this set up. not sure how much the Blum range is.

Nina D'Cruz thanked dreamer
  • siriuskey
    2 years ago

You could check out these suppliers they are great to deal with I have left it on the waste bins you can search for anything in the RH top corner

https://elraco.com.au/?product_cat=waste-systems

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Siriuskey, I didn't get a quote for plain profile. The quote for cabinets is for kitchen and laundry, no stone and no handles varied so much and they were all similar materials. I got around 10 quotes I think. The highest was $29k from 3 KDs 3 mid $23k-$25k and a couple in high teens $17k-$18. One $14k and the $16k. All quotes ex GST. The main difference was hardware Hettich with some and Blum others. All MDF and high moisture board.

Dreamer, I'm going to splash on cabinets and skimp on other things. Like splashback. I was going for glass $1600 but now doing tiles $300. Won't be getting a new fridge or dishwasher as they are still good. Not going for pendant light just plain down lights.

TBH, I'm just amazed at how expensive a kitchen reno has gotten and how much of a difference in pricing KDs are doing.

It's really worth to do research especially with the industry not being regulated. I've been asking for licence and warranty from all KDs. It's a lot of money to be putting down and one would hope it'll be a kitchen that will last 10+ years. It's scary the stories I've read.

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Siriuskey, that supplier is perfect! I'll definitely look into that and save on $$$ thanks a mill!

• dreamer
    2 years ago

An excellent contact Siriusky for hardware and accessories.

@Nina D'Cruz You said you want to splash on the cabinets. But really, a bin is a bin. A pull out spice rack is not a necessity.

I would be purchasing the under $100 one as per Siriusky suggestion.

Don't be overtaken by brand names.

Nina D'Cruz thanked dreamer
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dreamer,. Yes you are so right! I will definitely talk with KD to remove the bin. The spice rack is to house my oils and vinegars as it's too hard to get too otherwise. It's the 450 space between fridge and cooker so quite narrow. But will do homework also look at more reasonably priced options!

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

My husband and son built drawers for our Bunnings pantries with Elraco products, excellent to deal with, they used to supply cabinets but not sure if they still do just check their website or call Errol.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

the best extras we've added to numerous different kitchens have been adding extra shelves in cabinets...nb the standard single adjustable shelf is supported by small brackets that slip into predrilled holes and an extra shelf adds negligible extra cost but remarkable extra storage for dinnerware, casseroles, pie plates, serving dishes etc and also use vertical shelves in one wall cabinet to create easy access storage for cooking trays, cooling racks, pizza pans, muffin tins etc and all the herbs, spices, oils and sauces are in shallow shelves along the splashback enclosed with glass sliding doors

Nina D'Cruz thanked oklouise
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oklouise. That's a fab idea. I love it. I will tell my KD to add these adjustable shelves and vertical shelves. I bake often and have acquired lots of items for baking like trays and pans also chopping boards. Your advice will be super handy. Thank you!!!

• brizcs
    2 years ago

Extra shelves are just great. Have a look at the Hettich brand shelf studs. (CA 63549 )They plug in to the hole ABOVE each corner of the shelf and provide downward pressure on to the shelf. With narrower shelves fitted closer together it’s easy to knock shelves upwards and dislodge shelf contents. These little things cost about 10cents each and are genius.
    No more flying glassware catastrophes.

Nina D'Cruz thanked brizcs
  • Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for that brizcs. I've added this to the request list for KD. May as well get most bang for my bucks :)

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi peeps, I thought to update! Since Covid lockdowns we ended up pushing back the Reno. However, we have stated this month again. Here is the new layout. We ended up moving the wall further out with the door to the laundry and did a nice recess feature wall. In doing so. We had room for the a pantry in the main kitchen which will have a sliding door.

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Before

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Now

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Before

Now

We opened up the wall to make a walkway. Basically, closed up that laundry door near the bathroom. So now the way through the back entertaining/pergola area is through kitchen/laundry. And when you come in through the front door you no longer see the laundry but a nice recessed feature wall.

Where the ladder is, that will be the pantry. I would've liked a bigger pantry but the builder made a mistake measuring and we lost 100mm. Basically made the recess bigger. But was too late as wall was build.

Also, would have preferred a french door or sliding door rather than a window, but it was too much to do and we didn't want to sacrifice the space Since we couldn't make a french door to replace the window we opted for a servery window instead.

I'll update again when we've got the cabinets and everything else..

Thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas. It really helped us create our dream 🙂

• Nina D'Cruz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

3.5 months later. Final renovation result. We're well pleased. The kitchen and laundry feels much bigger and brighter. Thank you for all the ideas!

• oklouise
    2 years ago

what a great result and well worth all your effort, congratulations

Nina D'Cruz thanked oklouise
  • davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Congratulations on completing the reno, thanks for sharing the final lovely pics.

Nina D'Cruz thanked davincicalbourne
  • Kate
    2 years ago

Great work. Hope you enjoy the spaces

Nina D'Cruz thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    2 years ago

Excellent result what a beautiful space you have created