Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn_marie8493

Please help - very worried our kitchen is going to end up bland!

Jacquelyn Marie
10 years ago
We chose light maple cabinets and a light granite for our kitchen reno because the kitchen in our new house is small and there is not much light coming through the window. Also we have an open layout for the entire downstairs and so we matched the cabinet and granite colors to the rest of the downstairs (largely shades of pumpkin butter and a gray-green).
But now we are choosing backsplash tile and having a such hard time - nothing seems to match and our cabinets and granite blend more together than we thought. I want to add dark tiles for contrast but husband is against it and we want to keep it light and airy feeling. After getting tons of samples from 5 different tile stores, we've landed on the two tile samples below which at least color coordinate with the granite. The darker/ multi-colored one would add color but I think is too busy for our granite and would compete. One idea we had was to go with the darker/ multi-colored tile behind the stove and then the lighter color glass tile everywhere else we need backsplash. The problem then is that lighter tile blends in too well with everything else. We could go with it, as we are desperate to get our kitchen back, and add color contrast some other way. But I don't like oil rubbed bronze hardware as we are going for a contemporary look. The last decisions are hardware and pendants - one will be to the left of the stove and another above the sink. Any ideas on how we can spice this up, while not keeping it in sync with the rest of the downstairs? Sorry for the kitchen being a mess in the photos (isn't living under construction fun? : )

Comments (28)