Houzz Logo Print
webuser_573861794

Help with new kitchen layout!

HU-573861794
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are going to open up the kitchen so it is open plan with dining and living areas. This will mean removing two walls - one between the kitchen and dining, and the other between the kitchen and living room. I’d really appreciate any help!! It’s the first time we’ve done this sort of thing. I’ll try and be as concise as I can but it’s a bit complicated! ...

I should note to start that the dining and living areas have a pitched ceiling which reaches its highest height along the fireplace wall. The kitchen ceiling is flat and will remain flat and will drop down from the pitched ceiling. For structural reasons the kitchen ceiling must remain at its current 2.4m height. Because we will be removing walls, there will also need to be a post located at the edge of the bench which isn’t ideal but it would cost an absolute fortune without it due to the additional structural work that would be involved.

Now the question how to redesign the kitchen. Removing these walls will mean we have to move the fridge somewhere else and it becomes a Tetris puzzle we are struggling to make fit. Removing the walls also means we will lose the tall cupboard opposite the fridge.

Pic 1 is the current layout of the kitchen.

Pic 2 is the original house plan. The kitchen had changed since then to the current (pic 1) design but I am including this to give an idea of where it all fits in the house.

Pic 3 is the idea we are considering...

The idea is to put the fridge where the pantry currently is, accessed by the wider walkway and have a pantry about 40cm deep x 900cm wide with double fold doors accessed by the walkway leading to the laundry (next to the other tall cupboard opposite the current wall oven. As a side note, we thought this existing tall cupboard could become an appliance cupboard with a roller door or second pantry). I’ve put a very rough sketch in as the third picture to give an idea what I mean.

- Would this be too much in a relatively narrow walkway? (ie pantry, appliance cupboard, hobs and oven). There would be bench space opposite the new pantry between the jobs and sink of about 80 cm so that may help. We also thought using a roller door and double fold doors would help. But is it all just too tight?

- Is it a problem that the fridge is around the corner from the hobs and under bench oven? (I’ve read there should be no obstructions or tall cabinets between the three sides of the kitchen triangle).

Any thoughts on the suggested new plan or alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou!!

Pic 1- Current Kitchen Layout

Pic 2- Original House Floorplan. Current kitchen is different to original plans.

Pic 3- Rough idea of what we are thinking for new kitchen.

Comments (40)