Houzz Logo Print
kazonator

What colour to paint a fibro cottage by the river

kazonator
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Our newly purchased cottage by the river needs a paint scheme to enhance its appearance.
I'm thinking Hoggs Bristle for body of house and white around windows and verandah but would love advice on which white or trim colours to use. The pictures here show the front of the house that looks towards the river. We are also looking at renovating the verandah to give an area to have an outdoor table for 6-12 people around for entertaining. Any ideas or directions to search in would be appreciated.

Comments (58)

• kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I looked at the colours in resurrection n Melbourne and there is a white and a white birch .. White birch is a creamy white wire.. Not sure with antique white which colour is best.. Seems in between antique white trim of the house. Fence is quite close to the house too. Your help and asquithoately has been amazing. It is pulling it together now.
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Mudpack posts with white birch wire will look good or the antique white post will look good too. Last two photos are a little simpler in style, not so ornate.
  • Related Discussions

paint colours for exterior of small painted brick 1920s cottage

Q

Comments (1)
    We do need a photo. What colour is the roof?
    ...See More

How best to reno our old fibro home, what to do with the sunroom?

Q

Comments (13)
    it's great looking old cottage that just needs some TLC but the best investment for a rental would be to increase bedrooms without spending so much that the house needs to earn more income/higher rents to sustain a bigger investment ..my suggestion includes where necessary lining and insulating to make it more comfortable, repair or replace windows, make sure electrical and plumbing is in good safe working order, new lightfittings, floor and window coverings, install an extra toilet in the outdoor laundry, or add an üpstairs laundry and pantry, add pergola covered deck(s) to suit outlook and increase good weather living areas
    ...See More

Help with exterior colours on large retro Fibro house

Q

Comments (3)
    The rear looks a lot more modern than the front ( I realise it isn't -- just the colours do that ) , so that would be my starting point . So focus on the rear to start with ( just in your mind -- personally , I'd leave it as it is until you are happy with the front ) . The charcoal eves look good , the dark windows look good , in fact what the minor things are the one white upstairs window ; also the basement being a muddy brown grey whereas the eves look contrasting , the basement looks dirty and mismatched in comparison . And then the fence is fawn . Okay , so fix that -- buy 10 litres of charcoal and 2 brushes and it will look planned . Paint the railing in bright red or sunshine yellow ( it looks better , but arguably safer too ) and you are there for that side . The front though -- I think you are versa vice with your idea of white trim . Look at the rear picture , and take the cues . Paint the fibrolite and battens in off-white . Paint the bricks of the front fence in white . Do the eves , almost all the window frames , the base and the fence pailings in charcoal . Almost all ? Yes , the front door and the window frames around them , the garage door and the numbers on the gate I'd do in the bright red or sunshine yellow , the same as that back railing . Add a couple of modern black framed outdoor lights ( $100 ones , not $20 ones ) , and it suddenly looks 40 years newer for $2k if you do the labour yourself .
    ...See More

New kitchen in country cottage - what paint colour?

Q

Comments (15)
    Since your home is a cottage, I feel mirrored is a bit modern but encaustic tiles would be gorgeous, something subtle would be lovely, maybe like this https://tilehaus.co.nz/products/austinmer-grey-encaustic-look-tile?variant=40293687460040&currency=NZD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_term=&utm_campaign=gs-2021-03-24&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&hsa_acc=2523824507&hsa_cam=12611051513&hsa_grp=122872652867&hsa_ad=509293891322&hsa_src=u&hsa_tgt=pla-293946777986&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioodsyZ9Y4FT2OEtSdHfzucjzV59JkZ-Gj3npqr9Q3HQv3GHcgOpw4orjhoCf7MQAvD_BwE Granted I do just have the colour swatch not a brush out or test pot, but to me Whisper White is looking very cream and I'm not seeing any green undertone Are you sure this is what you are looking for? Perhaps try Lyttelton Quarter.. or even better, choose your tile first and select the paint to work with the tile :)
    ...See More
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Looks like Heritage building Centre sells Emu wire fence and gates ( heritage wire) in Sydney, ( Rockdale)
    http://www.heritagebuilding.com.au/EmuWovenWire.php
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you again.. Will visit showroom tomorrow... Quite expensive but will make a big difference to be able to look at the view as well.
  • Penelope Grace
    9 years ago
    Yes, to see your river is why this strong but see-through fence is a good choice. Your choice is for long-term enjoyment rather than a quick temporary fix. Choosing the colours is important, but you will LOVE the end result! Don't overthink it!
    Another idea to toss into the mix is this: if you go with coloured posts to complement the house, what about coloured gates to match the posts? the wire being a different colour. It can look very good. But please, I don't want to confuse you. Have a great time at the showroom and go with your gut feeling.
  • rwalton5
    9 years ago
    Re your fibro, I encourage you to get expert advice about asbestos fibres. Some building materials need to be removed because of the hazard they pose. Others may stay provided every surface is painted to ensure hazardous content is contained.
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Understand your comments but would be interested in ideas now for a area at the front of house for alfresco dining as no dining room.
  • Annette Kern
    9 years ago
    the fence works just paint it white and blend in with plants
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thought that but brick fence is noticeably leaning in spots and the gates are rusted and broken.. We had been told to straighten bricks may crack and be a difficult job. Fence may not keep boxer dog in too.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    I love the heritage wire. Have been wanting to put up a new fence and may look into this. As far as the colour of the house is concerned, I like what is currently there, or the some version of the green with white trim. The more neutral colours will make a cute cottage very dull, IMHO.
  • Leah Patterson
    9 years ago
    Dulux linseed is a nice stone colour and works well with dulux natural white trim or antique white USA trim. Dulux white duck is another possibility if you were looking for a greyish white with a bit more depth than the cream that would come through hogs bristle. White duck works well with dulux whisper white trim. Love the heritage wire on the front fence, but a timber alternative might be better suited to the side fence if privacy for the back yard is a concern. Good luck.
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I must say I am mixed up now with colours. I did want a lighter shades then asquithoately mentioned mudpack which I bought a sample pot today as I agreed it may not be as boring as hogs bristle. Are you saying to do the house in white shades of white duck and whisper white ipatterson. Thankyou lepstein for your thoughts too. I just want a pretty cottage look.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    I just think white or green (fresh colours) are more cottagy than greys and beiges which you see in abundance in the city. White (or maybe yellow with white trim) also pop more against the natural greenery that you have.
  • Leah Patterson
    9 years ago
    Yes - white shades were what you mentioned in your first posting, and I think you need to stay to true to your original vision. So my suggestionwas - walls white duck, trim either whisper white or antique white USA, - antique white has a bit more warmth and depth and I've seen this done with white duck half strength walls - looked great. The door on that particular weatherboard house - very similar to yours, was charcoal. The combination was soothing - but not boring.
  • LesleyH
    9 years ago
    I also believe a plain wire front fence would be the most effective. A grey green color for the outside walls would also make the antique white colour pop.
  • Annette Kern
    9 years ago
    Could also use heritage/federation colours for zing
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. With the grey green colour., Would you know a example colour? I will look up white duck also. The picture I havejust put up was the original house I liked and wanted to copy. What colour do you think the grey green is in the picture? And not sure about the blue colour though? Thankyou
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    Go to Benjamin Moore site on line and check out the colour gallery to pick your favourite. BM Central Park or BM Buckingham Palace are two that are in the grey green. I would personally go a bit darker and fresher, but you seem to like the soft colours, so these might work yet have enough depth for the great outdoors.
  • LesleyH
    9 years ago
    These are from Benjamin Moore
  • Penelope Grace
    9 years ago
    Grey green and/or blue trims against white/off-white background would all look perfect near a river! They sound fresh and clean.: Trust you instincts. You can get sample pots of colour, try them on a board or even on a small section of your house. That way you can see the colours in each light during the day.
  • Annette Kern
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of different whites as well, classic look make it more cottage with landscaping
  • Mark Rebecca Kinsella
    9 years ago
    As in extra space for outdoor living have you thought of wrapping the verandah around?? Like a l shape it could work?
  • Mark Rebecca Kinsella
    9 years ago
    Actually just saw the space you don't have room to wrap it around soz forget my coment
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes was thinking about that just today. But if we do that we might as well remove the fibro and re clad and replace old windows and add extra windows at the same time. But verandah would be good if council allows it. Thank you.
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes space is driveway size.
  • Penelope Grace
    9 years ago
    Here is a thought. Extend the veranda out the front by 1 or 2 metres, add the same trims around two sides, make the entrance to the side (not driveway) with wide shallow steps and a fly screen door. Enclose the whole area (behind the balustrading) with insignificant flyscreen so that it is an enjoyable outdoor space all year round. ( There are bound to be mosquitos and flies near a river!) Paint your front door a bright colour to make it show clearly. Does all this make sense?
  • Mark Rebecca Kinsella
    9 years ago
    Or add a lovely gazebo to the left?
  • Penelope Grace
    9 years ago
    how is the project going? Would love to see some updated pictures!
  • Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    9 years ago
    Remove verandah rails ( leave other scalloped bits, and build the deck out to a square the length of the verandah ( squared) and, using simple wooden square poles make a gazebo frame over the patio the same size and plant with artificial grape! Grows very quickly. Then paint the whole house a beautiful mid to dark proper green with lighter free trims.
    ps you could put a fence around the whole new outdoor room like the one you removed?
    Stairs to the front door side.
    kazonator thanked Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Penelope for asking ....we take possession on the house on the 16th January.. I have the outside painter organised for first week in feb..
    I finally decided if the sample pots look good a very lighter grey main house with white around windows and above verandah and front fence..
    Then a little darker grey but still quite light around the White where the green was..on the windows.
    Like a midnight blue on edge of gable and front door.. Was thinking of painting the brick steps that lead to the verandah this blue as well.
    These colours were on the front of a dulux colour chart and thought it looked great..

I loved what Melbourne mentioned with the verandah so will have to rethink the painted steps as that would only look good when the brighter brick steps lead to the front door.

I am trying to visualise the gazebo frame roof from the verandah roof.
    Could you elaborate please and love the idea of the vine. The front railing on the house was rotted out so had to come out straight away so would be great to extend the verandah this way and put a replica white one up. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
    The back of the house is a even bigger problem but will ask about that when these jobs are done but if Melbourne could elaborate I would appreciate it .. Then I will put up picture of my lovely home.
  • joannetaherne
    9 years ago
    I don't think you should knock down the fence. You should have a go at cement rendering it yourself then allowing two weeks to dry out completely then painting it with a good Tabman's outdoor paint. Some people attached a slated stained board between the posts which could be painted white or a complimenting colour,. If you go with a pale grey on the house you could paint the slats (or a small picket) in your bright white trim to compliment. I think you should try and get made a slated post gate also, or an old wire to throw in some whimsy.
    I would paint the exterior paints in two different greys. One for the main house mid grey, leaning towards a blue grey) darker on under trim and White around doors and windows. I know this may be an expense but I would consider a round driveway in and out of the property with cobblestone bricks pathway/driveway. A bold contrasting door will set the scene maybe a turquoise? With some old deck chairs or arondacks, small table for coffee painted in this same turquoise colour..
    Pots of pinks will set the tone in Aqua/turquoise pots. I think you should carry the theme from the outside inside perhaps with some white walls and pinks and aquas to give it a feeling of continuity of feeling. This is a trade secret and make it light bright and spacy. Cottage gardens go so well in this type of house, lots of whites and greens in the garden with pops of pink. Hope this expands your thinking! I love homes and have re-decorated over 127 of them to date. Lots of luck! Enjoy! Jo- omenpeak@msn.com
  • joannetaherne
    9 years ago
    Just thinking about your verandah again. Just re-read your full blog you want to seat 10-12 people out there. Well, just ensure your verandah boards don't have any wood rot or need destabilising, replace the once that do. You probably don't want to sand the whole deck but make sure once stable use a primer then I'm suggesting a grey deck paint the darkest and paint the floors twice before sealing with a clear lacquer, this will give you lots of wear and tear. I would try and get an extendable long farmhouse table and you can pick up everywhere poly resin Aqua blue chairs from "thonet" or today cheaper outlets. Or buy second hand chairs have them all different and paint one colour. When you get cashed up you could buy a larger outdoor/indoor rug and turn it into a very comfortable dining space with a few lanterns and candles on the table. Perhaps, screen it in like the suggestion from above and it will be very comfortable. Pick up outdoor cushions in Aqua and white for $8 each at the moment in Kmart & to add comfort to the chairs. Better shut it down here, or I"ll be putting you into overwhelm, but it helps if you have a vision with a beautiful colour combination! Jo-
  • Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    9 years ago
    The front patio 'room' extending from the veranda would have gazebo poles to the full height of the edge of the eaves or just above. You would not see that connection from the front. The effect would be like a cubed room without walls and make the house look bigger. It would soon cover with greenery and be a fabulous space for twelves guests etc.
    I suggested green because it looks fabulous with vines and is a bit different. The greys are a bit bland I think...be brave. If necessary paint half the front as a test to see what you think. If you don't like it, it becomes undercoat.
  • loken88
    9 years ago
    Totally agree about NOT knocking down the fence. It looks to me like the original fence and I think worth saving. I think I would be getting rid of the vegetation that is on top of the fence and if those palms are in your yard I would definitely be getting rid of those too, they are going to be nothing but a pain in the proverbial.

In regard to extending your patio, bigger is better. Measure every thing, the chairs (pushed in and out), the width and length of the table and any other items that you may be placing in the area. Bear in mind too, that you are changing the shape of the house. The veranda will be jutting out a fair way from the other side of the house.

As for choosing colours, you are overlooking a river, not the ocean, so be careful using blue colours. Take a walk around the neighbourhood and take a note of the colours of your neighbour's houses and which ones you like the most, and go from there. Remember it will be years before you paint it again! Cheers.
  • kazonator
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you again..
    But The brick fence was falling and leaning badly and have already paid half deposit to do a white plantation type fence.

If I still try the light grey colours and not the advised green (but still thinking Melbourne)would the Aqua instead of midnight blue match on the outside of the gables and accessories in Aqua and also with the very dark grey deck colour.. (Jo) also taking the advice on board too loken.

I wanted comfortable lounge on the deck as well as room for a dining table as most of the time I hope to be on the lounges.

We think we might have trouble extending the deck because of the building alignment I was just told today. Another hurdle......

I still loved the idea of the vine and gazebo poles so was trying to think how I could have the lounges on the verandah but a table in front maybe on pavers?????? Or something?
    Then the gazebo over that but how would that look....2 levels with this type cottage.

This front of yard has no car access as 100 years ago it did have a road but was turned into a reserve to overlook the river.....now car entry is from the back of house.. So the cute driveway is not needed just a path from gate but thanks jo.
    I always loved Aqua but worried with greys...if it can be carried.
  • joannetaherne
    9 years ago
    I forgot to mention that I would stay away from antique white anyway, it has been in the Dulux range for so oolong now we were using 11 years ago in the states inside the houses and it takes on a very slight yellowing after a few years, particularly in hot areas (0r where the paint contracts and expands) tau man'so have the right paints for no dis colourisation and the Australian conditions and are very price competitive.
    Please do not worry about the Aqua or Turquoise it will compliment pale greys beautifully.
    Now the ornamental grape is another potentially problematic area however, some see it as an advantage. It is only green in Late Spring and Summer which is when we need shade the rest of the year it looses leaves, leaves a mess and it a stick like growth across your verandah and while will require some heavy pruning just to keep it looking neat but barren all winter and Autumn. There are thousand of great creepers and I suggest you talk to you look for an evergreen to keep it looking green! Think what looks best as a contrast to green for your verandah wall and I wouldn't stick too heavily authentics or trying to recreate the past. The best mixture comes when you combine what's modern and fresh with what it is Tim honoured and worth keeping! Believe me even a stron Aqua would look great against pale greys. As for your new ballustrading I would match the trim or front door. If you are thing gazebo you could put a beditation Gazebo up alongside the house almost with a meditation garden type feel could you get French door olongapo the side of the house coming off a sitting.dining or lounge room?

The new verandah should not exceed the verandah unless you want to hide the front of the house completely. I have seen this done it looks very effective : a very large gazebo the full width of the house with a magnificent garden. A walk through to the main house in the centre but the gazebo with all the view and lounging going down to your river. It makes for a bold statement but an outstanding one. Many Australians put it round the back but if you are bold to,put it right across the front with white posts it could fantastic!
    Kind regards, Jo-
  • joannetaherne
    9 years ago
    Just a few typos. Of course I meant Taubman's paints. I then mean't time honoured (not Tim honoured) then if you are thinking gazebo you could consider a meditation garden/ Gazebo ... Then I say install some French doors either coming off your , sitting, dining, kitchen, lounge or even master to enter the gazebo or meditation garden I once did a little late 40's house where we re-created as many French Doors as we could to go out to the garden which had a wonderful sheltered and private garden installed and a meditation garden / garden behind a wide gate which gave it serenity, air- flow and a peaceful place to relax, of course you have to consider sun placement etc. To get the most from these areas.
    Jo-
  • Mark Rebecca Kinsella
    9 years ago
    If u still wanted to extend your verandah you still could out the front if u step down and follow the original fret work. If you go wrap the verandah around you won't be able to have driveway access I drew a little sketch to see what the house would look like if you extended the verandah with the same verandah roof line you still get to see your lovely gables but perhaps have the lifestyle you were after??
  • Mark Rebecca Kinsella
    9 years ago
    You could then potentially change the entry to the left side at the front which would give u the space for the outdoor table
  • goneon
    8 years ago

Hogs bristle can be very...beige...............have a look at medlar tinted to 1/2 or even 1/4, trim up with crisp white and a charcoal. if you can paint the garden wall as well, change the panel to painted trellis of those new panels same colour as house and try to change the gates, something lowline in charcoal painted timber. Good luck

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    What did you end up doing?
  • asquithoatley
    7 years ago

Yes would love to see some photos

• kazonator
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for asking.. I am so happy.. the house was so decayed so we decided to rebuild the same look of a 100 year old cottage but move all the living to the front for the river view.. so happy we did it and went for light grey and white and yellow.. so pleased and we have people in the park comment.. we could not go any bigger because of council and flood zone but it makes it special as it is. Some pictures I just took.. I took a picture of the outlook so you can see why it feels just right.. still work to do as in the gardens and just finding the right plants to put in as it is full sun. Will ask for help on that one too to make it feel cottagey but not block the view. Thanks again for asking. Karen
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing. What a glorious view and faithful reproduction. You should be very proud. Lovely colours too.

• Penelope Grace
    7 years ago

Absolutely fantastic! From now on we'll be asking YOU for help!

• pumpkinsmashing
    7 years ago

I LOVE the colour of your beautiful house. I can't see the name of the colours are in the comments...could you tell me?

• asquithoatley
    7 years ago

Just perfect!

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Kazonator, I just love it, such a pretty house, well done and a wee bit jealous (in a very nice way), thanks for the update
  • cloudpants
    7 years ago
    So pretty. Great job. The surrounds look so familiar. Are you near the Central Coast?
  • misslizzie21
    7 years ago
    Great to see a happy ending, it's beautiful, well done