Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

How often do you cook at home?

HouzzAU Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

No matter where we live and how we live, in a big city or in the countryside, house or apartment, sometimes it's nice to eat fresh, homecooked meals.

There is only one drawback - you have to spend time on preparation!

Speaking honestly — there's no judgment here — how often do you cook at home?

...and if you cook at home, what's your favourite dish?

Every day
Weekends
When guests come
Never
Other (tell us in the comments!)

Comments (21)

• User
    8 years ago

I use a lot of short cuts and am the microwave queen. Got sick of all the "from scratch" methods after decades. Can do all that blindfolded with one hand, but would rather be on Houzz etc. I applaud those who cook from scratch , though.

• lwarren58
    8 years ago
    I am a thermomix user..at least twice a day....can't tell you how much it has changed my cooking regime. Fresh, preservative free cooking just can't be beaten...everything from scratch...
  • Related Discussions

POLL: How often do you redecorate in your home?

Q

Comments (25)
    I love to change soft furnishings and some decorative items in our family room and master bedroom for summer/winter. In summer I have a lot of white/sand/soft blues with a beachy theme: blue glass, seashells - light and bright. Winter brings out the reds/orange/fuchsias etc. Some of the wall artwork is also changed. I just change the cushion covers, and things like bed linen/bedspread etc. Also the wall decoration behind the bed to tone with the new theme. I don't go out and buy new stuff as I find this method very refreshing ... and it seems 'new' each season! I should add that I have neutral backgrounds and furnishings so that I can do this easily. Even greenery and different floral arrangements enhance the respective themes.
    ...See More

How often do you have guests over?

Q

Comments (1)
    NO option for never? I always go out. ALWAYS,
    ...See More

How often do you dedicate time to gardening?

Q

Comments (2)
    With rheumatoid arthritis and a hubby who works 7/week, we don't really garden. But we use a garden maintenance service as we both enjoy the outcome. :)
    ...See More

How often do you: change your sheets?

Q

Comments (22)
    We have a super king doona and I've hand sewn 5 ribbon loops to the inside top of the cover (just above the seam so it doesn't show on the outside), and one midway on each side. I've then sewn ribbon ties to the corresponding points on doona itself. By tying them together, it makes washing and changing covers a breeze, not to mention keeping the doona in place. Like others, I use a top sheet as well, so my cover is washed probably every two months or so... (Depends whether the cat throws up on it - it's been washed twice this week so far! )
    ...See More
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

Simple meals at home four to five days a week in summer we cook steak or chicken or fish & salad or vegies, stir fry & one pot meals in winter. If we want something special we go out & let someone else do the fancy cooking.

When our four kids were here it was cooking all nights except Friday night take out dinner, now we are empty nesters plus one cat ;))

• User
    8 years ago
    It's just me, hubby and the cat. I cook when I have the time, with study & work it's normally most days but when I have essays due or exam time forget it lol
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

Hubby and I live on a farm and at present it is hard to find the time to cook being in our harvest right now but I simply must cook, as we live at least 15km from any store in any direction, so even if it's baked beans on toast, it's a meal.

I cook from scratch at every opportunity and still make my own pastry for meat pies and have a scrumptous sweet pastry for an apple slice or strawberry tart.

I'm 58 so I don't consider myself old and I do like to eat out occasionally just to have a break from the kitchen, however, I would always prefer my own cooking over a bought meal most times.

I don't use any modern gadgets, save the "can't do without microwave" for quick thawing or reheating and not against modern appliances, just don't seem to need them.

• 7weed1
    8 years ago
    Cheaper and healthier, from scratch with shortcuts. Favourite quickie that Petal can manage to have ready for us when I get home, is grilled fish with tossed garden salad. Yum!
  • Fiona
    8 years ago
    I cook for hubby and I ( and our daughter sorry dog ) every night apart from Friday's and any night we go out to dinner .. Just a fresh salad and fish, chicken or meat generally. Pretty simple and quick - I can't be bothered with recipes, but we enjoy fresh unprocessed food !
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    I am similar to Fiona, I cook nearly every thing from scratch, I still often will make my own stock...just husband and cat now but I always cooked with children at home as well. I cooked large quantities and froze for week nights as have always worked. Now we often go out for a meal on weekends either a lunch or dinner, we rarely have take out. I don't really think about it, I just do it. Sometimes I use a recipe for dinner parties but rarely for every day. I will read recipes for inspection but then usually change a bit
  • PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    8 years ago

I cook most nights during the week . . as long as the total prep plus cooking is around 30 mins. Generally fresh ingredients but sauces from a jar.

Longer prep and cooking meals like roasts are usually down to my wife.

• tarotlova
    8 years ago
    Forgot to add we cook every night my husband cooks a lot and we like to go out for lunches on the weekends.
  • Susan Vale
    8 years ago
    We used to get takeout a couple of nights a week but now my kids and I agree it's quicker and yummier and healthier to make something at home. I'm the queen of 15 min meals. In fact a few weeks ago when I was especially tired we stopped in at McDonalds only to take one look at their menu board and prices and walk out again even microwave baked beans on toast is preferable.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

@tarotlova,

Absolutely inspiring story about life and the love of cooking!!

My hubby had to wait for tea tonight ha-ha.....because I had no bench left to prepare it in the little kitchen I have at present, getting caught in the middle of making biscuits etc...and I too made the comment that I will not have this problem once we move into the new home we're currently building.

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Cook most nights unless H takes over & does one of his specialities once or twice a week, which I never ever criticise because I enjoy the break. Do most things from scratch & sometimes make batches so I can freeze for quick easy meals when I'm tired or busy. I was seriously questioning myself only yesterday - made feta cheese, grilled & skinned capsicum for preserving in oil, made muesli, cooked weekly batch of the dogs food & dog biscuits (on a special diet, after illness).
    Often curse the tradition of a larger more complex meal in the evening, when you've been busy all day, most likely tired but you still need to prepare a meal. Woe is me, at least I don't have to do the dishes!
  • PRO
    Annie Cass Landscapes
    7 years ago

If you are at all fussy about what you eat, you must cook. It's as simple as that. But if your kitchen isn't well designed, and far too many aren't, cooking becomes more difficult or dangerous.

I see a lot of stories on sites like Houzz about kitchen design that are all over how a kitchen looks, but not so hot on how they work. A kitchen isn't a room, it's a tool. Yes, the individual components should work, but they should work together, too. Cupboards should be structured so that you never have to kneel to get something, you never have to push jars aside to get the one you want, and you never have to lift heavy things from above your head. You should never bang your head on a cupboard door handle reaching to the back of the bench, either. And of course they should make it easy, almost inevitable, to put your floury or greasy hand on exactly what you need within two seconds - the time it takes a sauce to curdle - of you deciding that you need it.

Designers pay lip service to ergonomics, but as a rule haven't a clue what it means. A kitchen sink, for instance, should be sited so that the person who does most of the washing up, even if that is only rinsing stuff on its way to the dishwasher, doesn't have to stoop (bad for the back) or reach (carrying your arms ahead of your body is tiring) to use it.

Surfaces. Every kitchen where anybody at all is ever likely to make pastry NEEDS a stone slab. It stops the butter layers from melting into the paste layers because it's cool. This, people, is why granite benches are a thing. You just can't do the same job on wood. Or stainless steel, for that matter. The stone slab needn't be any bigger than 600mm square, but it really should be there. Speaking of wood, any kitchen surface you can't put a cake fresh out of the oven or a pan straight off the hotplate on is a bit useless. It looks nice? Sweet. You've got frilly curtains in your machine shop, right?

My core expertise is in garden design rather than kitchen design, but I've been cooking in good and bad kitchens for fifty years, and in any case, bad design is bad design, wherever it rears its ugly head!

• Vy
    7 years ago

I used to cook every night..used to do fancy meals..now that I'm working and away from home half the week I only cook a few nights the rest we eat out..hubby and daughter does the cooking when I'm away..

I am at a phase where I'm too busy..hubby whinges all the time that I don't do fancy stuff anymore..I think he's spoilt rotten..

the thing is I'd rather spend my day off going wandering or taking photos than slaving in the kitchen all day for a fancy meal

I don't freeze my food only stock as hubby is picky so are my kids..and I am too..we don't like frozen stuff..the other night I served stew cooked and froze as I cooked too much one time..

and umm they ate it but should have seen hubby's long face lol

so now I buy stuff that I can freeze for quick meals like prawns and scallops all divided up into bags..for emergencies when I haven't gotten to the shop

I need to start cooking stock again for quick soups..or noodle soup..

We are lucky to live so close to Box Hill a hub of yummy restaurants but then one can only eat so much take away..

• Frankie
    7 years ago

Due to dietary restrictions and budget we rarely eat out. I enjoy cooking and I'm always looking for new ideas. Being home for the most part we cook nearly all our meals at home.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Lately, my fave dish is Taco Pie, a low carb favourite of ours as we slowly (agonisingly) shed unwanted kilos!

• Jennifer Bradley
    6 years ago

I've always found cooking soothing and a great way to unwind after work. Besides I grew up in a place and time when take away and home delivery didn't exist and then I didn't have the money to eat out. I cook fairly simply most nights as I got used to having a family meal on the table 30 minutes after getting home from work, but sometimes I go for complicated. Some meat or protein and lots of vegetables most nights, ad vegetarian occasionally.

• Barbara Dunstan
    6 years ago

Just moved into our new home after building for 11 years and you can't keep me out of the kitchen!!

• PRO
    Julia Fairley
    6 years ago

Our kitchen gets a massive workout about three times a day. Cooking in bulk & making enough to feed entire armies then freezing portions has been a great time-saver.