Houzz Logo Print
elvanyusuf

I've got major window regrets

elvanyusuf
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I am in the middle of a major renovation of a small 70s cottage style home. We've extended and added a small second storey.

So far, everything is looking great and just how I imagined. However, one oversight I had made in the design process is really starting to eat up at me, now that it has become a reality - the front facade windows.

My husband drew the plans for us (he is an architectural draftsman) so I had a lot of trust in his knowledge and experience. Therefore, I didn't think too much about the windows, nor did I do any research on window size and placement etc. Turns out, my husband doesn't know too much about those finer details (he is amazing at floor plan layouts etc).

Now that I see how the windows look on the house, I secretly hate them but it's not something I can change due to cost, difficulty and personal guilt. I guess I'm just looking for your opinion. I've attached a front elevation for you to see, the top is the existing plan, the bottom is what I've modified to make it look better (just torturing myself at this point).

(please excuse my dodgy photo editing)

The reason why the top story windows are different sizes and levels is because there is a bedroom with a raked ceiling next to a walk in robe with a flat ceiling, and hubby wanted to centre the bedroom window internally.

He was 'inspired' by architecturally designed asymmetrical homes, for example:

Here is a progress photo of the top storey windows, the asymmetry doesn't look as obvious from other angles through.

and again, how I would prefer it.

Sorry, but I don't have a photo of the bottom 2 living room windows at the moment.

I'm holding on to the hope that maybe one day down the line in a couple of years, I can invest in redoing the windows, but I don't know if I should even consider it as an option.

What do you think and what would you do? Am I stressing myself over nothing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (41)