Houzz Logo Print
stephiehoneybee

open plan kitchen with no storage

stephiehoneybee
11 months ago

My kitchen is very impractical with hardly any storage. It is a u-shaped kitchen in an open plan space with 5m vaulted cathedral ceilings with exposed red cedar beams. One of the u-arms is against a wall, (the only wall), another is under a long window that takes up pretty much the entire space, and the other is a peninsula bench jutting into the open plan space. The open the of the kitchen is effectively a hallway.
My problem is that there is no storage. The fridge and the oven are almost butting up against each other and there are no overhead cupboards.
This was fine when my partner and I lived there in our late 20s but we are soon moving back with two very small children and my mother! It will be a busy kitchen.
I think the only option is to put the stove in the peninsula bench (I was thinking of a hanging pot rack above it) and turn that one wall into a tall pantry cupboard.
I’d appreciate your thoughts!
I don’t have many photos as I’m not there right now, but this is one photo looking away from the current stove and out across the peninsula.

Comments (17)