Houzz Logo Print
zac_mzee

Council approval requirements - Patio enclosure and extension

zac mzee
2 years ago

Hi All,

I surely need some help deciding how to pursue building an insulated roof patio (30sqm) in the backyard attached to the house. Current CDC plan of the house already includes 24sqm POS.

Secondly I am really looking forward to add a sunroom which means enclosing half of the patio, making use of insulated wall panels, large glass windows and a sliding door. To be used as kids play room etc.

My concerns are as below which need some guidance please.

A- There is already a concrete been slab laid to the size of patio. My question is, do I need concrete footings laid as well to support insulated wall panels?

B- Does the floor of the enclosure (sunroom) need to be raised from the rest of the patio floor to be considered as a room?

C- Lastly for council approval should I hire a structural engineer or architect to help build the plan and drawing and thereby I reach out to Council for approval? Or if there is a way to engage CDC / Private certifier gain approval etc?

I got no idea what sort of expense I am looking at incurring in hiring private certifier or structural engineer but I am on a tight budget to be honest.

Unfortunately the guy I am looking at hiring for patio roof installation is just some Stretco contractor and he not familiar with council approval procedure etc hence I reaching out to seek help on the forum.

Thanks,

Zac

Comments (4)